Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Nov 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,696 of 3,016
  Unbalanced inputs are converted to balanced? So there's no reason to use an outboard phase splitter to convert unbalanced RCA signal to balanced XLR? 

I rember hearing axel grell say that an unbalanced input connected to the hdvd800 would be converted to a symmetrical one.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #1,698 of 3,016
  Unbalanced inputs are converted to balanced? So there's no reason to use an outboard phase splitter to convert unbalanced RCA signal to balanced XLR? 

Sorry, I haven't been able to get on the forum often these days (managed to get a new job. Yay!)

If I understand your question(s) the answer(s) are yes :)

The HDVD800 is a fully balanced system from the DACs all the way through to the headphone jacks and XLR outputs (there are no RCA outputs). The RCA inputs are split into an active balanced configuration INTERNAL to the HDVD800 where it is then fed through the selector switch into the balanced amplifier stream.

By the way, the unbalanced RCA inputs are also unique in that they have a level control on the rear of the HDVD800 so that they can be matched volume wise to other inputs like the DAC or the other digital inputs

Oh, and as far as the unbalanced output jack on the front of the unit goes, they are basically just using one side of each balanced channel's  output.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,699 of 3,016
Thanks for the reply Wisemanja! Since I have a DAC (Benchmark DAC2 HGC), I decided to go for the HDVA 600 and I just got it yesterday. Using balanced HF cables from Q-audio for my HD800s and so far so good.  Too early to do any comparisons to the DAC2's headphone amp, but I'll give the HDVA 600 a few tens of hours of run-in over the weekend and then start doing some serious listening.

BTW, if anyone in the states is interested in either of these Senn products, I got mine @ Crutchfield and they have a 60-day return policy, so plenty of time to try and no risk if it doesn't turn out to be everything your heart desired!

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #1,700 of 3,016
Bookmark my new site Audio360.org because we will have something very nice to go with your HDVA 600 and HDVD 800.  I can't give more details right now, but I already have it in my hands so we are not far from public release.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #1,702 of 3,016
Bookmark my new site Audio360.org because we will have something very nice to go with your HDVA 600 and HDVD 800.  I can't give more details right now, but I already have it in my hands so we are not far from public release.

If it's the K812, it's available in stores now.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,704 of 3,016
javascript:;Quote:
I believe it was $369.00 plus shipping.

Somebody called HI-Fi Spot in Hong Kong is selling a 6m balanced cable for the Senns 800 for $338.00 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221311350275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Does anybody know anything about this?  If I get one I will need more than the 3m offered by Sennheiser.  I need at least 15 feet; 20 would be better. 

Any experience with this seller or this product?  Should be looked

~~ SHIPPING 6M-Upgrade-Cable-For-SENNHEISER-HD800-with-Balanced-XLR-4pins-Neutrik-PLUG Mouse over image to zoom Have one to sell? Sell it yourself Details about 6M Upgrade Cable For SENNHEISER HD800 with Balanced XLR 4pins Neutrik PLUG Seller information hifispot168 (6344 ) 99.3% Positive feedback Follow this seller See other items Visit store: Ebay Stores HIFI SPOT AdChoice- opens in a new window or tab Item Information Item condition: New Quantity: Error icon 4 available / 1 sold Price: US $338.00 Buy It Now Add to cart 1 watcher Add to list Add to collection Free Shipping New Condition BillMeLater Spend $99+ and get 6 months to pay Subject to credit approval.See terms Shipping: FREE ePacket delivery from Hong Kong | See details International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. Item location: HIFI SPOT, Hong Kong Ships to: Worldwide See exclusions Delivery: Estimated between Tue. Dec. 24 and Fri. Jan. 3 Please note the delivery estimate is greater than 7 business days. Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing. Payments: | See details Returns: 14 days money back or item exchange, buyer pays return shipping | Read details Guarantee: | Learn more Get the item you ordered or get your money back.into and discussed.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,705 of 3,016
  javascript:;Quote:
I believe it was $369.00 plus shipping.

Somebody called HI-Fi Spot in Hong Kong is selling a 6m balanced cable for the Senns 800 for $338.00 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221311350275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Does anybody know anything about this?  If I get one I will need more than the 3m offered by Sennheiser.  I need at least 15 feet; 20 would be better. 

Any experience with this seller or this product?  Should be looked

~~ SHIPPING 6M-Upgrade-Cable-For-SENNHEISER-HD800-with-Balanced-XLR-4pins-Neutrik-PLUG Mouse over image to zoom Have one to sell? Sell it yourself Details about 6M Upgrade Cable For SENNHEISER HD800 with Balanced XLR 4pins Neutrik PLUG Seller information hifispot168 (6344 ) 99.3% Positive feedback Follow this seller See other items Visit store: Ebay Stores HIFI SPOT AdChoice- opens in a new window or tab Item Information Item condition: New Quantity: Error icon 4 available / 1 sold Price: US $338.00 Buy It Now Add to cart 1 watcher Add to list Add to collection Free Shipping New Condition BillMeLater Spend $99+ and get 6 months to pay Subject to credit approval.See terms Shipping: FREE ePacket delivery from Hong Kong | See details International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. Item location: HIFI SPOT, Hong Kong Ships to: Worldwide See exclusions Delivery: Estimated between Tue. Dec. 24 and Fri. Jan. 3 Please note the delivery estimate is greater than 7 business days. Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing. Payments: | See details Returns: 14 days money back or item exchange, buyer pays return shipping | Read details Guarantee: | Learn more Get the item you ordered or get your money back.into and discussed.

Seller is reliable (I got 2.5 HD800 cable from him), the cables are good, the actual manufacturer is Zy Cable. 
Liked the price, build and performance, ordered HD650 cable also made by Zy from Shenzen Audio (it's cheaper there), just received it. No complaints.
You can search for "Zy Cable" name on this board if you want to do more research, from what I've read it's a well known in China cable builder, not one off DIY.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,706 of 3,016
Perhaps this isn't the best place to ask, but is there a CAD file for the HDVD800? 

I'm attempting to make a stand for a friend, and it would be helpful to have more then a box to work with.

Edit: Spelling is tough.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,708 of 3,016
Huh? Your spelling is fine. Your only error is the use of "then" instead of "than."
wink.gif

Whoops, that too. Oh well.

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #1,709 of 3,016
Does the DAC do any re-sampling? And does the volume control affect the XLR analog outputs? (I guess the obvious answer is "yes," but I wanted to make sure.) I've been looking for something that might be able to replace my DacMagic Plus.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #1,710 of 3,016
The volume control does not effect the XlR output. It sis NOT a preamp. Sorry. Of course it does almost all dac do. Dsd is converted to PCM forropcessing now beyond that I do not know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back