Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #1,006 of 3,016
Quote:
I just bought the album to test, and like you I got hissing. The first track sounded just fine, and when it then switched to "When The Levee Breaks" there was the really loud hissing as if I had suddenly tuned out of signal. Turning on resampling in Foobar2000 fixed it. Haven't encountered this issue before this. Very strange.

Can it be the recording?I had an issue with the CD of that and sent it back. The second track skipped and  was not right. i am wondering if the problem is the recording.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #1,010 of 3,016
For me it happens on tracks 2, 3, 5 and 7. It's audible from the very first second of the tracks and it sounds exactly the same on all of them. It's like you're playing pink noise in the background. I bought the 192/24 flac version and I'm playing it back in Foobar2000 using WASAPI (event). If I enable resampling, still using WASAPI as output, the noise disappears from all the tracks. I tried resampling to 96khz and 44khz and both worked just fine. I have some other 192khz tracks that I got from 2L and they play back just fine.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,012 of 3,016
Quote:
Is there an updated driver download available from Sennheiser perhaps?

As far as I know there's no HDVD driver on any of the Sennheiser sites. Because they're a big corporation there's multiple regional websites so it's a pain to check all of them, but from my quick check just now there's no drivers on any of them. I hope they do start putting driver downloads on them and keep them updated. Having them on CDs is a bit retro now that a ton of laptop models don't come with optical drives. I would even prefer drivers on USB memory sticks as it's more universal than CD.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #1,013 of 3,016
Quote:
For me it happens on tracks 2, 3, 5 and 7. It's audible from the very first second of the tracks and it sounds exactly the same on all of them. It's like you're playing pink noise in the background. I bought the 192/24 flac version and I'm playing it back in Foobar2000 using WASAPI (event). If I enable resampling, still using WASAPI as output, the noise disappears from all the tracks. I tried resampling to 96khz and 44khz and both worked just fine. I have some other 192khz tracks that I got from 2L and they play back just fine.

Trying using the asio driver

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,015 of 3,016
Quote:
Alright, I tried asio and it's the same, except now track 7 sounds like it should and track 9 has the hissing instead. Tracks 2, 3 and 5 are hissing using both WASAPI and asio.

hmm, strange. Is there any free download you could link me to on a song your having an issue with? Would like to test it myself.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,017 of 3,016
Quote:
Has Sennheiser announced when the retail production version is scheduled to be released?
wink.gif

rolleyes.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,018 of 3,016
Quote:

I don't want to exaggerate the issue, apart from these two tracks, it sounds phenomenally good.

C.C Coletti - Artist

Album: Bring It Home

The two tracks that have the background hiss:

Bring it on home

Black Dog

I agree about the sound, especially with the Chesky binaural series recordings.

I got the Audiogon wake up your ears sampler in 24/192. C.C.Coletti's track "You Shook Me" (from your album) was in that collection. Pretty amazing sound on the HDVD800 with balanced T1 cans. However, as in your experience, that track doesn't seem to trigger the hiss on my system

The following are 24/192 tracks that I have that consistently trigger the hiss (to different degrees) when on my system. Most of the ones with no notes are lower in hiss level but still noticable:

- You Haven't Done Nothing - Jen Capin (starts low hiss then jumps higher at 0:04 when the music starts)
- St. Louis Blues - Wycliff Gordon (this one creates the loudest hiss)
- Get behind the mule - John Hammond
- Full Moon Over Istanbul - The Larry Coryell Organ Trio
- Cantaloupe Island - Lenny White, Buster Williams, George Colligan, Steve Wilson (another one that starts low hiss and then at 0:02 jumps up just when the music starts)
- Breathe - Seamus Blake, Ari Hoenig, Mike Moreno, Sam Yahel (this is strange. Music and very low hiss start together and the hiss then slowly ramps up to a maximum value at around 0:20 then remains there for the remainder of the track. Does the same thing every time on my system)
- Alright, OK, You Win - Louise Rogers

It would be interesting to see if the tracks that trigger the issue on one person's system would do it on another's or if a different set would do it.

These are all terrific tracks. I just have to down sample them to 24/96 in order to listen to them (but even at 24/96 they are great)

- Jeff

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #1,019 of 3,016
Quote:

Would you try something for me? With your original settings and the hiss occurring, just change the WASAPI from "event" to "push". I think that the USB event mode corresponds to the USB Asynchronous transfer mode that the HDVD800 seems to have a problem with when using high sample rate files. I believe that the USB push mode is the old USB adaptive mode. I would like to confirm whether or not changing the transfer mode can make a difference.

- Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back