Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
May 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #646 of 3,016
This thread is becoming a debate at other amps rather than the hdvd800, which is the name of this thread. Please try to get this  thread back on what we should be discussing.   Some of the able post should feel more in line and be posted on the hd800 thread. Please keep in ming the hdvd800 also is driving all headphones with clarity and musicality found in reference amplifiers. There is no coloration I can identify and  form my two weeks with this amplifier I can say it is impressive and I believe Sennheiser hit most of the goals for this amplifier they had when they set out to release a amplifier. 

Discussion like the last few post have resulted in other threads being locked  for similar types of posting. I for one would like to see this thread continue.

May 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #647 of 3,016
Quote:

Discussion like the last few post have resulted in other threads being locked  for similar types of posting. I for one would like to see this thread continue.

I think you're right, Frank.

Sorry for my disturbance here. I won't reply to "R Giskard/Antun", because it's useless.
He has his opinion, I've got mine... and we won't find the 'lowest common denominator' here...

Again:

Sorry for the disturbance!

I'll shut my mouth now.

Greetings from Germany,

(another guy with the name) Frank

beerchug.gif

May 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #648 of 3,016
Unfortunately, the GSX doesn't compare that well with the latest high end amplifiers from the likes of Sennheiser and Bryston.

I am upgrading from Bryston's BHA-1 to the GS-X2 and I have heard both with the same headphones and DAC. It is a clear advantage for the GS-X2.

The rest of your post isn't worth commenting on.

May 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #649 of 3,016
I've been going back and forth between the V800 and HDVD 800 dac a lot and I just can't decide which I prefer. The huge soundstage of the V800 is nice and there's a few tracks where it's definitely more detailed than the HDVD dac. But at the same time the V800 just sounds a bit boring compared to the HDVD, which just seems to come out with more dynamic impact across the entire frequency range. I don't know how to describe the difference exactly.

I've also done some tests with Dolby Headphone in games and movies with a Asus Xonar Essence ST connected via coax. The more precise soundstage presentation of the HDVD dac won out there, as it was easier to pinpoint where the sound was supposed to be coming from, while the V800 was a bit more vague. Dolby Headphone in general sounds mediocre, as I don't like how they do the simulated room acoustics, but with the HDVD 800 I enjoyed it a bit more than I've done before.

One thing that's for sure is that the HD 800 sounds just fantastic with either dac. For a couple days I listened with the LCD-2, and when I went back to the HD 800 the improvement in fidelity almost came as a shock. I used to think they were somewhat equal in many respects, but now with a proper amp the HD 800 shows just how much potential it really has, while the LCD-2 seems to hit the limit of what it's capable of. It still has a nice polite balance, but in terms of fidelity it falls short. It makes me want to get the LCD-3! I like the LCD-2 style sound, and now I want it in higher fidelity so it's a viable alternative to the HD 800 again.

May 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #651 of 3,016
I just watched Mumford and Sons Lice at the letterman show in NY done at the Ed Sullivan theater. It was a 55 minute set and it is well recorded. The HDVD DAC is pretty good. I was able to hear Marcus Mumford moving forward to the mike and also when he takes a step back I could hear the distance between the microphone. The hall acoustics are very clear and you can hear all the echo in the hall. Pretty  special listening to the performance.  I am looking foward to more of these type of moments. Here the link for anyone interestedMumford & Sons - Live On Letterman (Full Show)

May 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #652 of 3,016
May 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #654 of 3,016
Quote:
Unfortunately, the GSX doesn't compare that well with the latest high end amplifiers from the likes of Sennheiser and Bryston.

Incidentally, A Headamp amplifier I liked the best was the Gilmore lite. I liked it for it's simplicity and an excellent price/performance ratio. I bought the GS-X used and liked it for a while. Still, it never really impressed me and once I opened it up, it was quite clear why that was. The design itself was exemplary - basically a school example of tidy signal path and component arrangement. The components themselves were a different story unfortunately. Their quality was mediocre at best. All of them were through-hole types but it didn't take me long to realite that replacing them for something better would cost the same as what I paid for it. I just don't think this amplifier is all it could have been and as far as I am concerned, they ruined the otherwise solidly engineered amplifier by cutting the cost down on parts' quality,

I think it is time for the Headamp team to make use of the modular construction and design amplifier stages with something that would compare more favorably to the newcomers.

I meant the GS-X MK2 not the discontinued GSX. If the HDVD800 sounds close to the performance of the GSX MK2 than I will be buying one. I have read the Bryston BHA-1 is extremely bright sounding with the 800's.

May 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #658 of 3,016
Quote:
The hall acoustics are very clear and you can hear all the echo in the hall. Pretty  special listening to the performance.  I am looking foward to more of these type of moments. Here the link for anyone interestedMumford & Sons - Live On Letterman (Full Show)

Watched a few songs in it and yes that echo was very nice! Not as good sounding as some live dvds, but way above average sound for TV live shows.

May 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #659 of 3,016
Quote:
Watched a few songs in it and yes that echo was very nice! Not as good sounding as some live dvds, but way above average sound for TV live shows.

The Ed Sullivan theatre hosted some legendary bands like the Beatles, Stones and the Doors plus Elvis Presley. It is a true landmark with fabulous acoustics and Mumford and Sons were fantastic in the venue. I enjoyed the whole show tonight. I will have to get some live DVD videos to try with the dac also.  Listening to Live albums on my Oppo BDP95 also shows the same type of room acoustics. Listening to Sinatra Live at Sands gives me the same type of sense of space. I should also state I have been using the Beyerdynamic T90 tonight. Very enjoyable.

May 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #660 of 3,016
Quote:

Incidentally, A Headamp amplifier I liked the best was the Gilmore lite. I liked it for it's simplicity and an excellent price/performance ratio. I bought the GS-X used and liked it for a while. Still, it never really impressed me and once I opened it up, it was quite clear why that was. The design itself was exemplary - basically a school example of tidy signal path and component arrangement. The components themselves were a different story unfortunately. Their quality was mediocre at best. All of them were through-hole types but it didn't take me long to realite that replacing them for something better would cost the same as what I paid for it. I just don't think this amplifier is all it could have been and as far as I am concerned, they ruined the otherwise solidly engineered amplifier by cutting the cost down on parts' quality,

I would disagree with this.

I think it is time for the Headamp team to make use of the modular construction and design amplifier stages with something that would compare more favorably to the newcomers.

That has already been done this year, and its called the GS-X mk2.  

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back