Sennheiser HD820
Sep 29, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #3,541 of 4,359
So, i got a pair of the HD820, I still own my original HD800. The problem i have with the HD820, is that the pads, don't seal on my face. I have to wear them with the head band forward and the pads back, in order to, attempt to put the pads on my head.

If the pads dont completely close, they sound really bad. but if i can find that spot, they sound really, really good. I wish the pads were thicker.

Sep 29, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #3,542 of 4,359
So, i got a pair of the HD820, I still own my original HD800. The problem i have with the HD820, is that the pads, don't seal on my face. I have to wear them with the head band forward and the pads back, in order to, attempt to put the pads on my head.

If the pads dont completely close, they sound really bad. but if i can find that spot, they sound really, really good. I wish the pads were thicker.

mine arrives tomorrow, but I demoed a new pair in a store earlier this week. I noticed that the bass changed drastically when I put just a small amount of pressure on the cups, I guess getting a better seal.

I wonder if the issue is the stiffness of the pads, and whether they break in over time.

I might also try a soft, shallow set of pads like the ones I use on my HD800 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXB8XKQ/) to see if that makes a difference.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #3,543 of 4,359
mine arrives tomorrow, but I demoed a new pair in a store earlier this week. I noticed that the bass changed drastically when I put just a small amount of pressure on the cups, I guess getting a better seal.

I wonder if the issue is the stiffness of the pads, and whether they break in over time.

I might also try a soft, shallow set of pads like the ones I use on my HD800 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXB8XKQ/) to see if that makes a difference.
Yes, its like the front of the pads are not able to touch my skin, so a lot of the sound, just leaks. so for me i need fatter pads lol.
and you right, if you put abit of pressure on the front of the cups, and get them closer to your skin the base and mids get way better.

Oct 1, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #3,544 of 4,359
I can acquire the 820’s for $1500 brand new, I’m thinking about hopping on them. Thoughts on the treble, is it as fatiguing, peaky or bright as HD800S?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #3,545 of 4,359
I can acquire the 820’s for $1500 brand new, I’m thinking about hopping on them. Thoughts on the treble, is it as fatiguing, peaky or bright as HD800S?
Not to my ears. That and being a slightly warmer headphone with better bass is why I prefer the HD820 over the 800S or 800.

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #3,547 of 4,359
I been using mine with focal arche volt settings they sound really good.
Also testing them with wa7 3rd gen

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #3,548 of 4,359
A lot of people said that the HD820 is Amp Picky and oh my god it is.

My MDR-Z1R sounded different with every amp, but not by a lot. It always sounded good.

I tested the HD820 today and then bought it but

I tested with the Sony WM1Z, DMP-Z1, TA-ZH1ES and the FiiO M11 Plus LTD

I assumed the DMP-Z1 will sound the best but all the Sony sounded bad.

The WM1Z sounded dull and pretty EQed (even though it was set on direct. With the TA-ZH1ES and the DMP-Z1 the bass sounded compressed, the mids shouty and the highs to sharp.

Only the M11 Plus LTD was capable in providing a perfectly balanced sound with beautiful bass, mids and highs. I could turn it much louder without getting issues with hurting impact of snare drums or similar things.

I sadly did not have anything else to test it, so maybe it's just not compatible with the Sony Sound Signature but from my experience, I do not recommend them in combination with the HD820.

But with the M11 Plus LTD, oh my god is this Headphones awesome. I do not understand the bad reviews of it. Bass, mids, highs, I never experienced an headphone that I would consider so close to my expectation of perfect sound.

And it's not that hard to drive. I put my M11 into high gain but oh boy did I switch back to mid gain fast. High gain and 50% volume was almost painfully loud.

The only thing that annoys me is the 300km long undersee cable that it comes with. Except that, I'm 100% satisfied.

I did an 1:1 testing against my MDR-Z1R and put the Z1R on eBay.

I also tested the HD800S but consider the HD820 to be better. The HD800S had better soundstage (which didn't help with any of the songs tested, the opposite) but that's it. To my ears, is inferior in everything else.

Of course, that's just my opinion. But for the music I listen to, I consider it better than MDR-Z1R and HD800S

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #3,549 of 4,359
But with the M11 Plus LTD, oh my god is this Headphones awesome. I do not understand the bad reviews of it. Bass, mids, highs, I never experienced an headphone that I would consider so close to my expectation of perfect sound.
Agreed. I bought the 820s one year ago today. I won't mention the E word but I've had no desire to listen to any other cans.

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #3,551 of 4,359
Still waiting for mine; it should arrive today (I can wait, it's not like I'm missing headphones). Upstream he will find: mini-pc with Daphile, Chord Qutest, MicroZotl. With the 800 this combination works very well, of course it's all focused on detail. Risk of "listening fatigue" at the highest levels.

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #3,552 of 4,359
Does really well with tube amps as well. I love it with my Lux P-1u but with the SQ-N150 it's on another level still.
The thing is, I personally don't like tube amps and warm sound signature in general.

In the past I did one that, but I have a lot of songs that perform just much better in neutral.

That is the reason why I prefer the HD 820 over the MDR-Z1R. In direct comparison, the MDR-Z1R sound like you put tiny pillows into the HD 820 and turn up the volume.

It's just too mellow and unclean for me. But a direct comparison of these too is a complicated thing because they are so different, that you can't really focus on the qualities of one headphone. The differences strike to hard for me. So the MDR-Z1R turns out as a clear looser for me, but it's actually not that simple.

I don't think it's a matter of quality, it's just a matter of taste. Things that I know are there in the songs and I expect to hear, disappear. That takes away listening joy for me.

My father for example is the exact opposite. I'm on vacation and visited my family so I thought, even though it's a lot of hussle carrying the wooden box around, I'll bring them with me. It was a waste of time :D He thinks that the 160€ MDR-1AM2 sounds much better than the HD 820 and I wasted lots of money an a headphone that sounds bad.

So the MDR-Z1R is an excellent Headphone and if I would have the money, I would keep it. But when I have to take an decision, it's the HD 820 for me.

And due to the reasons I decided for the HD 820, I do not want to run it of an Tube Amp or anything else that does not use the THX AAA Amps.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #3,553 of 4,359
There are many tube amps which don’t have a warm warm signature at all. So typically I see that as an over generalization?

The Woo 5 is not exactly warm warm or is the Eddie Current Zana Duex? Have you heard how those two sound almost like SS, but have the imaging and other characteristics of a tube amp.

Tube amps can sound a whole bunch of different ways. Though my Woo 3 does have the classic warm tube sound, the Woo 5 LE, no.
The thing is, I personally don't like tube amps and warm sound signature in general.

In the past I did one that, but I have a lot of songs that perform just much better in neutral.

That is the reason why I prefer the HD 820 over the MDR-Z1R. In direct comparison, the MDR-Z1R sound like you put tiny pillows into the HD 820 and turn up the volume.

It's just too mellow and unclean for me. But a direct comparison of these too is a complicated thing because they are so different, that you can't really focus on the qualities of one headphone. The differences strike to hard for me. So the MDR-Z1R turns out as a clear looser for me, but it's actually not that simple.

I don't think it's a matter of quality, it's just a matter of taste. Things that I know are there in the songs and I expect to hear, disappear. That takes away listening joy for me.

My father for example is the exact opposite. I'm on vacation and visited my family so I thought, even though it's a lot of hussle carrying the wooden box around, I'll bring them with me. It was a waste of time :D He thinks that the 160€ MDR-1AM2 sounds much better than the HD 820 and I wasted lots of money an a headphone that sounds bad.

So the MDR-Z1R is an excellent Headphone and if I would have the money, I would keep it. But when I have to take an decision, it's the HD 820 for me.

And due to the reasons I decided for the HD 820, I do not want to run it of an Tube Amp or anything else that does not use the THX AAA Amps.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #3,554 of 4,359
One more example on how I think the HD 820 is better then most other Headphones

The AKM DACs in the M11 Plus LTD have several sound filters.

If I switch between "short delay, sharp Roll-Off" and "Sharp Roll-Off" it is pretty hard to distinguish those two with, for example, the MDR-Z1R.

In an blind test, I have an success rate of about 66%

So it's more than guessing, but far from obvious. It's a minimal and tiny difference in bass impact and soundstage, but really minimal. Depending on the song, there is no difference.

With the HD 820, it's 100%, easily. Short-delay sounds much more compressed and the difference in the bass impact is like night and day.

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #3,555 of 4,359
There are many tube amps which don’t have a warm warm signature at all. So typically I see that as an over generalization?

The Woo 5 is not exactly warm warm or is the Eddie Current Zana Duex? Have you heard how those two sound almost like SS, but have the imaging and other characteristics of a tube amp.

Tube amps can sound a whole bunch of different ways. Though my Woo 3 does have the classic warm tube sound, the Woo 5 LE, no.
I have not heard enough tube amps to be about to judge that, but I think what you say makes sense.

And I do not think tube amps sound bad, the opposite. It's just not the sound I'm looking for from my experience, but I always understood why people like them when they showed them to me and I never thought "that sounds bad" or "I don't like that". But I think amps have to fit the Headphone.

With the MDR-Z1R I absolutely loved the TA-ZH1ES, it was the best thing I could imagine. With the HD 820, imho, the TA-ZH1ES sounds bad to me. I can really hear the HD 820 say "You want me to play that? Really? Well if it's your choice, there you go, but don't blame me if it sounds bad"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back