Sennheiser HD820
Jun 24, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,396 of 4,357
The hifi store I work in gets these in stock in August. If the cost price available to me is reasonable I'll consider it....providing it's to my taste of course. At this point, I'm skeptical.
i'll be giving it a listen when my local dealer has a demo

Jun 24, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,397 of 4,357
Seems like a positive review, but it's from a business website, and the author himself may not have much experience with higher end cans. But it's better than a negative review I guess.

Headline said:
These $2,400 Sennheiser headphones will ruin all other headphones for you

Just read until the author tries to write anything. A review like this is asinine and worthless. By the way, if this type of headphone had a completely flat EQ a bunch of us wouldn't be impressed with Sonarworks and in my case it wouldn't decrapify my expensive headphone. It's definitely not easy to review a headphone without having the background knowledge and experience to begin with but these reviews are the lowest of the low and predictable. No, it's not better than a negative review. There's only one review the author can come up with. You might as well put a blank sheet of paper over it and try to read something into that. This numbnut doesn't appear to have tried any other high-end headphone.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #1,398 of 4,357
You haven't heard them yet, have you?
I asked my local dealer yesterday. Will have to wait till end July probably. Funding is set aside, let's see. But I wouldn't mind reading some real impressions about the HD820, like most of us here.

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,399 of 4,357
hd820 impressions will start appearing here when folks get the opportunity to hear them. most of us are biding our time until then.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,400 of 4,357
hd820 impressions will start appearing here when folks get the opportunity to hear them
HeadFi HQ has one already, there must be a NDA in place.

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,402 of 4,357
Seems like a positive review, but it's from a business website, and the author himself may not have much experience with higher end cans. But it's better than a negative review I guess.

Yeah.

"I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I take audio seriously. I have never been able to afford the higher-end audio products, so my go-to headphones are the Sony MDR-V6s"

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,403 of 4,357
hd820 impressions will start appearing here when folks get the opportunity to hear them. most of us are biding our time until then.

Yes, just keep right on abiding your time until Oct. 2018
By then, there will be 2,500 HD820 reviews that are not going to admit that they wasted $2500.
= "Pride is not to be trusted when its trying not to look stupid. "" (and you can quote me).
As for me....
Im not going to buy it new, as i'll just wait til Oct when there will be 450 of them sitting out there on Reverb, Ebay, and here,..... and all selling for $1600 with "extra cables", "mint", & "free shipping"..
I invite the temporarily sane among you to CONSIDER......... doing the same. :)
"Patience, is a virtue naturally foreign to a fool". (and you can quote me)

fb1

Jun 24, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #1,405 of 4,357
Just got the best email ever: UPS update: mine will be here tomorrow, one day early!!! I'll likely listen to them all night and compare them to my HD800, both cans with and without digital EQ, then I'll write some impressions for you guys! I might also compare my IE800 just for fun! I heard them at CanJam NYC and really liked what I heard....

I spent quite some time with them at CanJam and got to listen to other people's impressions of them, and honestly, I don't know how ANY HP designer can do their job effectively. The range of things I heard from people was so enormous that it's hard to believe they were all commenting on the same pair of cans! One guy even went as far as to insist the drivers were out of phase, which, was baffling to everyone else around him (me, other attendees, and Sennheiser staff).

That said, here's what I remember from CanJam: they felt cheaper than the HD800S (I think they went too far with weight reduction), and going back to back with the HD800S they were considerably warmer sounding, which for some of us, is a beautiful thing.

Stay tuned.......

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,406 of 4,357
By then, there will be 2,500 HD820 reviews that are not going to admit that they wasted $2500.
= "Pride is not to be trusted when its trying not to look stupid. "" (and you can quote me).
As for me....
Im not going to buy it new, as i'll just wait til Oct when there will be 450 of them sitting out there on Reverb, Ebay, and here,..... and all selling for $1600 with "extra cables", "mint", & "free shipping"..

fb1
LOL, you made my day.

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #1,407 of 4,357
As for me....

fb1
Considering mine is going be here tomorrow, and I paid less than 2k. I would call it a good deal.

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #1,408 of 4,357
Mm...initial batch eta here is July or August. Can’t wait. The HD 800 is my very first high-end HP (back in 2013). Have the HD 800S and the HE 1. With the HD 820, my Sennheiser collection will be complete. I am very confident that the 820 will not be a disappointment. If it performs as good as the HD 800S with much better sound isolation, I will be a happy camper.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,409 of 4,357
As for me....

fb1
i'm interested in auditioning it at some stage....

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #1,410 of 4,357
Just read until the author tries to write anything. A review like this is asinine and worthless. By the way, if this type of headphone had a completely flat EQ a bunch of us wouldn't be impressed with Sonarworks and in my case it wouldn't decrapify my expensive headphone. It's definitely not easy to review a headphone without having the background knowledge and experience to begin with but these reviews are the lowest of the low and predictable. No, it's not better than a negative review. There's only one review the author can come up with. You might as well put a blank sheet of paper over it and try to read something into that. This numbnut doesn't appear to have tried any other high-end headphone.

Mmm...he may not have the requisite experience with what we consider as audiophile-grade headphones from Audeze, Stax to Mr. Speakers but his review is from the point of view of a casual, mainstream headphones user. His opinion is just as valid as any serious, professional reviewer for as long as he is honest with his opinion of what he heard. So, take his review for what it is: a casual review.

Personally, my take on his review is he is not far from the truth, knowing what the HD 800 and HD 800S are capable of and knowing that the HD 820 is a continuation of the 800 series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back