Sennheiser HD820
Feb 10, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #767 of 4,357
To my hearing Judes measurements are much closer to what I hear than Tylls.

I fully expect HD820 to have a tuning along the lines of HD800, a phone I can accept is very technically accomplished but a phone I find extremely boring, tireing and uninvolving to listen to and one I would never buy whereas the Z1R draws me into the music and make me enjoy it probably like no other phone I have heard or owned.
I would tend to agree, but again, we all have our preferences. I'll also agree that it's whatever draws you into the music that matters most.

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #768 of 4,357
I listened to the Ether Flow C, Z1R, LCD-XC, and HD820 all on the same day. I ended up buying the LCD-XC. They are all amazing headphones. I think anybody looking for a closed back set would be more than happy with any of them, or all of them. The Ether was the most comfortable. The 820 had the biggest soundstage. The XC had the best thump. I'm sorry, but overall I preferred the 1AM2 to the Z1R.

I picked up the XC because it is the perfect complement to the Utopia. I desperately needed a closed back set to use at home. My wife can hear the Utopia when she's upstairs with the bedroom door closed. Demon ears. It's such a waste. If only I had her hearing with my love for the music.

The 820 (pre-production sample that I heard) is an amazing bit of kit. Ultimately, it wasn't the right bit of kit for me, but it should definitely be on your short list of cans to audition if you specifically need a closed back set.

This is interesting - i had considered aiming for a pair of XCs, although I’d like to get something that’s a bit “different” from my LCD4s. Also, I’d be a bit worried about taking them outside of the house due to the wood. Preferably I’d like to use a pair of closed cans on my commute some days, and in Chicago winters, it seems impractical to use a pair of LCD-XCs. The Xs do sound significantly different from the 4s that at least that part of the equation would possibly work - I’m assuming the XCs are voiced similarly.

This is why the Sonys and the 820s seem to be better suited to what I’m looking for...perhaps a bit more durable if used “out and about” - and more materials that are less sensitive to temperature, humidity changes.

Really need to listen to a pair of Z1Rs, and will be excited to listen to the 820s when they’re available. I won’t be able to make this sort of purchase right away anyway, so I have plenty of time to make a decision.

Obviously the voice between the two will be very different, and the 820s might give me the contrast I’m looking for with my LCD4s as well. Should be interesting to see how they turn out.

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #770 of 4,357
This is interesting - i had considered aiming for a pair of XCs, although I’d like to get something that’s a bit “different” from my LCD4s. Also, I’d be a bit worried about taking them outside of the house due to the wood. Preferably I’d like to use a pair of closed cans on my commute some days, and in Chicago winters, it seems impractical to use a pair of LCD-XCs. The Xs do sound significantly different from the 4s that at least that part of the equation would possibly work - I’m assuming the XCs are voiced similarly.

This is why the Sonys and the 820s seem to be better suited to what I’m looking for...perhaps a bit more durable if used “out and about” - and more materials that are less sensitive to temperature, humidity changes.

Really need to listen to a pair of Z1Rs, and will be excited to listen to the 820s when they’re available. I won’t be able to make this sort of purchase right away anyway, so I have plenty of time to make a decision.

Obviously the voice between the two will be very different, and the 820s might give me the contrast I’m looking for with my LCD4s as well. Should be interesting to see how they turn out.

The XC would be terrible for a commute. They're really heavy and huge. You would also have to carry around a bulky case. If you slipped on ice or anything they'd probably go flying.

Check out the MDR-1AM2 when it comes out. They're the lightest headphone I've ever worn that sounded good. The reason why I preferred them over the Z1R is because of the price to performance to comfort ratio. They basically disappear when they are on your head.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #771 of 4,357
Lol, methinks some folks should look hard into Head-Fi's setup. It's VERY impressive! I've always considered the HD800 and HD800S have very tight bass with minimal distortion...and Head-Fi's measurements bare that out.

I always take those measurements with a grain of salt. I believe what I hear. While bass in hd800s is acceptable in general, it lacks quality in comparison to other flagship cans priced around $1500.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #772 of 4,357
I always take those measurements with a grain of salt. I believe what I hear. While bass in hd800s is acceptable in general, it lacks quality in comparison to other flagship cans priced around $1500.

I’m glad you take them with salt...each measurement setup requires a different amount of salt too (so far, Head-Fi’s has the lowest sodium content from what’s been presented). I’ve always loved the quality of the HD800’s bass, I just wished for better depth and more punch. Hopefully the hd820 will rectify this. But quality tends to suffer with closed back headphones...typically.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #773 of 4,357

Did you mean quantity instead of quality? Because the quality of bass in the 800 is fantastic. However, there’s just not enough quantity of it.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #774 of 4,357
Did you mean quantity instead of quality? Because the quality of bass in the 800 is fantastic. However, there’s just not enough quantity of it.

Exactly my feelings as well.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #775 of 4,357
It's always comparative. It was more than a year I owned both hd800s and ether c, so my audio memory depreciated. bass quantity in hd800s was adequate to my ears, while ether c lacks quantity. But hd800s did not extend deep as much as ether c, and ether c had cleaner and less wooly bass than hd800s. And I do believe focal clear has better bass than hd800s both in terms of quantity and quality.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #776 of 4,357
I'm guessing that the 820 will have about the same bass quality/quantity as the 800, but you will be more aware of it. I find this happens with closed headphones. Perhaps it's the isolation that cuts out any residual noise from the outside, or maybe it will hold more bass in..

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #777 of 4,357
I'm guessing that the 820 will have about the same bass quality/quantity as the 800, but you will be more aware of it. I find this happens with closed headphones. Perhaps it's the isolation that cuts out any residual noise from the outside, or maybe it will hold more bass in..

I hope not. I hope it at least has as much mid bass as the 800S and at least 4 db’s more sub bass. If the 820 bass sounds exactly the same as the 800 in terms of quantity, I will not be buying them. That would be terribly disappointing.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #778 of 4,357
It's always comparative. It was more than a year I owned both hd800s and ether c, so my audio memory depreciated. bass quantity in hd800s was adequate to my ears, while ether c lacks quantity. But hd800s did not extend deep as much as ether c, and ether c had cleaner and less wooly bass than hd800s. And I do believe focal clear has better bass than hd800s both in terms of quantity and quality.

I’m going to be honest, I’ve never heard anyone describe the 800 bass as wooly...ever.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #779 of 4,357
I’m going to be honest, I’ve never heard anyone describe the 800 bass as wooly...ever.
It was long time since I sold hd800s. So my audio memory may be incorrect. But as far as I remember, it was not clean as much as ether c.

But in one area, hd800s excels other flagships is its comfort, which I regard very important as much as other aspects. No flagship can match hd800s' comfort, except aeon flow open. And I expect hd820 will be comfortable as much as hd800s.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #780 of 4,357
It was long time since I sold hd800s. So my audio memory may be incorrect. But as far as I remember, it was not clean as much as ether c.

But in one area, hd800s excels other flagships is its comfort, which I regard very important as much as other aspects. No flagship can match hd800s' comfort, except aeon flow open. And I expect hd820 will be comfortable as much as hd800s.
I just have to do it, lol... The Z1r excels the HD800 by a large margin in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back