Sennheiser HD820
Jan 8, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #391 of 4,370
Omfff I just baught the hd800s and now I see the new hd820 why why. Is there something we can do for an exchange at sennheiser?

Oh for goodness sake! Take consolidation in saving loads of money

Why on earth does this cost twice as much as the 800!?!?!

That is some expensive glass. Just stick a couple of jam jar bottoms on your HD800 and Bob's your uncle.

Tantamount to daylight robbery, that is increasingly the norm sadly

AIMVHO as always

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #392 of 4,370
Omfff I just baught the hd800s and now I see the new hd820 why why. Is there something we can do for an exchange at sennheiser?

That is some expensive glass. Just stick a couple of jam jar bottoms on your HD800 and Bob's your uncle.

AIMVHO as always

(EDIT as yet no smiley face option on my new phone...sorry)

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #393 of 4,370

AIMVHO as always

(EDIT as yet no smiley face option on my new phone...sorry)

So I guess this is the future: headphones will cease to be called "cans" and now get called "jars"!

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #397 of 4,370
For the guys who just think this is a HD 800 with two glass panels, why not just buy a HD 800 for a fraction of the price and put two mason jars over the ends and call it a day.

The rest of us will recognise that a considerable amount of engineering went into this product, such that it represents a significant advancement over the HD 800/S, and now clearly and distinctly represents Sennheiser's absolute TOTL headphone effort, only surpassed by the HE 1060.

I can't wait to hear it!

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #398 of 4,370
After several month research, I bought the hd800 and TH900 yesterday AND I was happy.
7 hours later I woke up, saw new hd820, what a day.

Same Drama here, I am now very sad but same time dang it , so expensive that new hd820 ouch

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #399 of 4,370
New launch always makes me think of the scene in anchor man when everyone talking loud and steve carell just starts randomly shouting "I don't know what we're yelling about!"

Chill people. Once it is released, if you like it....buy it. If you don't like it.....move on!

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #400 of 4,370
The rest of us will recognise that a considerable amount of engineering went into this product, such that it represents a significant advancement over the HD 800/S, and now clearly and distinctly represents Sennheiser's absolute TOTL headphone effort, only surpassed by the HE 1060.

I highly doubt that.
Is the HD569 a significant advancement over the HD558? Significant? - definitely not!
Or is the HD630VB a significant advancement over the HD600? Not in my opinion.
It looks to me that the HD820 is just an HD800 with a glass panel behind the drivers and some other material making it closed-back. An experienced modder could probably do the same thing!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #401 of 4,370
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #402 of 4,370
For the guys who just think this is a HD 800 with two glass panels, why not just buy a HD 800 for a fraction of the price and put two mason jars over the ends and call it a day.

I can't wait to hear it!
Well, for right now at least, you are assuming about the engineering and what not. Because none of us have actually heard them yet. Jeez, so much hype both positive and negative going on over something not even available yet.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #403 of 4,370
I highly doubt that.
Is the HD569 a significant advancement over the HD558? Significant? - definitely not!
Or is the HD630VB a significant advancement over the HD600? Not in my opinion.
It looks to me that the HD820 is just an HD800 with a glass panel behind the drivers and some other material making it closed-back. An experienced modder could probably do the same thing!

The HD 569 is the same price as the HD 558, despite being an advancement. This shows Sennheiser is not shy about keeping prices the same despite advancements in quality. The HD 650 and HD 660 S also share the exact same MSRP.

This trend shows that Sennheiser respects the price to performance ratio, and typically as time goes on, Sennheiser offers better and better deals for customers as their technology advances.

The HD 630VB is an amazing engineering achievement, but it is very specific. It is purpose built for mobile devices, for listening on the go, and has undoubtably the greatest implementation of a bass adjustment built right into the headphone. It is an entirely different beast than the HD 600, and is only slightly more expensive, despite having numerous first of it's kind engineering marvels from Sennheiser.

Sennheiser has repeatedly over the years proven themselves time and time again as being the best headphone company in the world, and offering customers products which demonstrably prove their price tag. Such a large increase in price over the HD 800 S, combined with Sennheiser's clear product messaging that this is really an "820", an advancement, something entirely better, is a strong signal to the world that this is the new TOTL best headphone effort from the greatest headphone company on earth.

Of course we should all trust our ears, and listen for ourselves, but at least to me, Sennheiser has done more than prove themselves over the years. As I said, I am looking forward to hearing this one a great deal, and I encourage everyone who just assumes this is just mason jars combined with an off the shelf HD 800 to consider the above very carefully.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #404 of 4,370
Well, for right now at least, you are assuming about the engineering and what not. Because none of us have actually heard them yet. Jeez, so much hype both positive and negative going on over something not even available yet.

If you can't get hyped for a new Sennheiser TOTL headphone offering, when can you get hyped?

Get excited, this is an event. It doesn't happen often, and don't become so jaded that something like Sennheiser offering a new TOTL offering becomes somehow not exciting.

This headphone will be everywhere in a matter of months. You can hear it at meets. Hear it at canjam. Look forward to hearing it. While it is very expensive, somewhat disappointingly so, no one needs to buy one to recognise the circumstances themselves are very exciting. This doesn't happen every day.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #405 of 4,370
The HD 569 is the same price as the HD 558, despite being an advancement. This shows Sennheiser is not shy about keeping prices the same despite advancements in quality. The HD 650 and HD 660 S also share the exact same MSRP.

This trend shows that Sennheiser respects the price to performance ratio, and typically as time goes on, Sennheiser offers better and better deals for customers as their technology advances.

The HD 630VB is an amazing engineering achievement, but it is very specific. It is purpose built for mobile devices, for listening on the go, and has undoubtably the greatest implementation of a bass adjustment built right into the headphone. It is an entirely different beast than the HD 600, and is only slightly more expensive, despite having numerous first of it's kind engineering marvels from Sennheiser.

Sennheiser has repeatedly over the years proven themselves time and time again as being the best headphone company in the world, and offering customers products which demonstrably prove their price tag. Such a large increase in price over the HD 800 S, combined with Sennheiser's clear product messaging that this is really an "820", an advancement, something entirely better, is a strong signal to the world that this is the new TOTL best headphone effort from the greatest headphone company on earth.

Of course we should all trust our ears, and listen for ourselves, but at least to me, Sennheiser has done more than prove themselves over the years. As I said, I am looking forward to hearing this one a great deal, and I encourage everyone who just assumes this is just mason jars combined with an off the shelf HD 800 to consider the above very carefully.

That is your opinion, my opinion is that they (Sennheiser) are ripping people off big time and that Beyerdynamic offer better value and performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back