Sennheiser HD820
Jun 30, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #4,115 of 4,357
The HD820 has now officially overtaken my entire collection as the true reference standard and now all of my open-backs are now on-the-clock to prove themselves worthy of listening time, or else be a part of the chopping block. Almost a month ago, After at least four years (pre-pandemic), I finally took the dust cover bag off of my Stax SR-L500 and connected my SRM-212 and 350W step-up transformer to my Schiit Modius AKM. I remember @Rob80b talking about skin oils making the plastic sheathing on the stock HD800/S/820/8XX cables potentially crack and break off after looking the eggshell pleather ear pads and having pieces of one side peeling onto the other side. :frowning2: I had to find some ear pad covers immediately and found some cheap ones that I could mod to fit the SR-L500 ear pads.

Well, those just came in and after modding, my SR-L500 benefit from the added warmth that the ear pad covers and I am absolutely enthralled with how detailed, yet versatile my SR-L500 have become. No, the bass is not nearly as close to what the HD820 can create, but I do now have a much deeper understanding and appreciation to why a lot of people prefer electrostats over dynamics. I almost traded for a Stax SRM-323S a while back and I now regret not continuing with that trade. Well, let's hope that the Topping EHA5's build quality is as reliable as how Stax's amp build quality has remained for centuries.

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #4,116 of 4,357
Suffer from a lose fit or wanting your HD820 feeling more secure while reclining, or a simple solution for tighter seal for best bass performance....
......help is just a hair tie away. :)
https://www.amazon.ca/Goody-Ouchless-Womens-Braided-Elastic/dp/B00DFSHD5O
Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 1.38.54 PM.png
28C1A9EB-6891-41AD-83EF-D3C6051F6E21.jpeg
Fully adjustable up or down, but not to tight or the earcups will begin to lose their seal at the top of the ear. (then you'll need a small bungee cord at the top of your head):beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #4,119 of 4,357
Hi SENN HD820 owners,

Need some assistance in choosing a budget dac for my HD820.

Current chain is FIIO K7+ feliks audio esspresivo+ HD820 with UPOCC plus PURE SILVER 4 core cable.

Need a warm sounding dac with good details.

Thanks in advance
On the budget side of dacs the iFi Zen Dac2 is my favorite. If you can swing the extra $ a Schiit Modi Multibit 2 would also be on my short list.

Jul 1, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #4,120 of 4,357
Snagged a used 820 for a great price which arrived today. I previously owned one a few years ago and did not like it then. I actually disliked it pretty bad and sold it after a month of trying to like it. Fast forward to today, with a very different system that's more optimized for high ohm headphones, and wow, really liking what i'm hearing so far. Thankfully my head is big and fat so I'm having no seal issues at all. I did bring them up one notch higher than I'd like to increase the tightness of the fit, but they're still very comfortable. I tried pushing them onto my head a bit to test the seal, and nothing changes when I do so.

So what gives? Why the change of heart? System synergy.... I know some scoff at the idea, but I'm a firm believer. When I had my first 820 I was running delta sigma dacs and neutral solid state amps. I found them lean, bright, and very fatiguing. Now i'm running NOS multibit dacs and high output impedance tube amps. Nothing is bothering me in the slightest. Even running my treble torture tracks is just smooth enough to not bother me.

It's only been a day so we'll see how I feel after a few weeks. But usually my initial gut reaction to a headphone stays, and my gut is telling me these are keepers. I like that they're very complimentary to my ZMFs. When I want dark and super smooth ZMF has me covered. But for soundstage and more of an upward tilt, these are perfect. I can already tell these are going to get the call most of the time for blues/jazz. Listening to Albert Collins - Travellin' South, and man it sounds guuuud! The guitar is front and center, where it should be, with excellent presence without being overbearing.

Really glad I took a chance and reacquired these headphones. Despite not liking them the first time around, something was nagging at me to give them another shot. The nag was right :)

As an aside I have been listening on my Stratus tube amp since they came in, but while writing this gave my Jot 2 a quick try. Definitely a bit too much upper mids/treble energy for my preferences. I quickly moved back to tubes, where these belong IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #4,121 of 4,357
On the budget side of dacs the iFi Zen Dac2 is my favorite. If you can swing the extra $ a Schiit Modi Multibit 2 would also be on my short list.
bought a schiit bifrost 2/64. the pairing ins awesome. thanks for your reply.

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #4,123 of 4,357
Snagged a used 820 for a great price which arrived today. I previously owned one a few years ago and did not like it then. I actually disliked it pretty bad and sold it after a month of trying to like it. Fast forward to today, with a very different system that's more optimized for high ohm headphones, and wow, really liking what i'm hearing so far. Thankfully my head is big and fat so I'm having no seal issues at all. I did bring them up one notch higher than I'd like to increase the tightness of the fit, but they're still very comfortable. I tried pushing them onto my head a bit to test the seal, and nothing changes when I do so.

So what gives? Why the change of heart? System synergy.... I know some scoff at the idea, but I'm a firm believer. When I had my first 820 I was running delta sigma dacs and neutral solid state amps. I found them lean, bright, and very fatiguing. Now i'm running NOS multibit dacs and high output impedance tube amps. Nothing is bothering me in the slightest. Even running my treble torture tracks is just smooth enough to not bother me.

It's only been a day so we'll see how I feel after a few weeks. But usually my initial gut reaction to a headphone stays, and my gut is telling me these are keepers. I like that they're very complimentary to my ZMFs. When I want dark and super smooth ZMF has me covered. But for soundstage and more of an upward tilt, these are perfect. I can already tell these are going to get the call most of the time for blues/jazz. Listening to Albert Collins - Travellin' South, and man it sounds guuuud! The guitar is front and center, where it should be, with excellent presence without being overbearing.

Really glad I took a chance and reacquired these headphones. Despite not liking them the first time around, something was nagging at me to give them another shot. The nag was right :)

As an aside I have been listening on my Stratus tube amp since they came in, but while writing this gave my Jot 2 a quick try. Definitely a bit too much upper mids/treble energy for my preferences. I quickly moved back to tubes, where these belong IMO.
I'm glad to see them getting some attention here lately. They were actually my first TOTL headphone. First heard them at a Sennheiser store where they only have the HDV820, but going from the 660S, 800, 800S, then 820 each was a step up for me. While pretty much everything else I have is ZMF, I still like them because they're different, more airy and clinical which can be quite pleasant on good tube amps.

They've also become my TV/Movie headphones when the spouse goes to sleep before me. Simply incredible for creating a surround experience out of a 2 channel source.

The hobby is funny on forums, where people will parrot how terrible they are without even having heard them. Personally since nobody else has my ears and brain I prefer to make my own decisions about such things.

Jul 2, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #4,124 of 4,357
When I want dark and super smooth ZMF has me covered.
I know personally next to nothing about ZMF, only that they have very elaborate artsy ear-cups and their drivers are farmed out, so the exact opposite of Sennheiser who are highly sophisticated in their R&D with regards to microphone capsules, headphone drivers and acoustic design for over half a century. But ZMF do appear to have their followers, so maybe one day if the opportunity arises will need to take a listen.
Despite not liking them the first time around, something was nagging at me to give them another shot. The nag was right :)
Funny, I had the exact same experience when they initially came out, and yet once I was able to re-audition them against direct competition their strengths and technical abilities could not be ignored.
Sennheiser do IMHO make one of the most competent drivers around, reproducing harmonically correct sound and although headphones have as yet to replicate the speaker experience, I applaud Sennheiser's continuing efforts in acoustic design to integrate cup, transducer and ear should be commended and not ignored.
The HD820 with a fuller body over the HD800S does complete the picture and makes for a very satisfy and enriched listening experience from classical, jazz to bass driven EDM, and when properly driven, source and amp wise, entices one to turn up the volume. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back