Sennheiser HD800S vs. HD820
Sep 22, 2020 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ruinedx

500+ Head-Fier
HD820 vs HD800S 75th Anniversary Edition on Liquid Platinum fed by MXDAC. No EQ

On my own equipment, which I am familiar with, in my own residence. Not at a show, or at the store, not reading tea leaves via FR graphs, etc.

Day 1 impressions

The treble: Tie
HD800S keeps up the brilliance of OG HD800 (owned this a few yr ago), but dials it down to the level where it rides the cutting edge of being brilliant yet not irritating like the OG HD800 can be.

HD820 takes it down a notch further from "brilliant" to "superbly detailed". So if the HD800S was too much treble for you, the HD820 is tweaked bit downward a bit further; but for some this may be a downgrade

I personally would give this to HD800S but I can see some give it to HD820 if they are annoyed by "brilliance" sparkle or super treble sensitive, so preference is where its at here.

The bass: Winner HD820
HD820 is overall more satisfying. The HD800S has very satisfying bass as well, but it just doesnt dig as deep as HD800S and thus is just a bit less satisfying on some material. Maybe you'll like the HD800S just as much or better if your music has no deep bass, but I find most music I listen to does.

The mids: Winner HD800S
HD800S has more lush mids and feels more emotive. HD820 still quite good, but not HD800S level. HD820 is two steps down from "lush and emotive" to "very impressive"

The soundstage: Tie
Now here might be a big surprise for some. A closed back at dead heat with one of the most expansive open backs? Yes. Definitely.

Let me give you a couple of pictures here.

The HD800S is like walking out into a beautiful pasture in the bright sunlight, with sound showering down all around you, your music happily mixing with the natural ambience

The HD820 is like taking a seat in a concert hall with spectacular acoustics, and you are the only one in the audience - then the performance starts.

In both cases, the soundstage is incredibly impressive and all around you. But they are different. At different times, with different content you may prefer one or the other.

and I would say it also depends how you are feeling in terms of mood which one you might prefer at any given time. There is no clear winner given the advantages and extremely impressive technical executions of both approaches.

Isolation and leakage: Winner HD820
Well this was pretty obvious. The HD820 isolates pretty decently and leaks much less. Any noise at all in in environment and HD820 is easily the better choice. Not much else to say.

Fit and weight: Winner HD800S
Again pretty obvious. HD800S is less bulky, stays on the head better, and weighs less. Because it doesnt need the extra weight of a closed back, of course; makes sense, and the HD800S fits better as a result.

Day 1 impressions Conclusion: Tie.
Yeah, so that's my day 1 listening impressions. No drama, no hyperbole. Its a tie.

They serve different functions and each sound and work a bit better with different content & scenarios.

Put on some broadway or classical and you are going to get more emotion and brilliance with HD800S

Put on some R&B or synthwave and you are going to get more low frequency enjoyment from HD820

Put on the HD800S in a quiet environment and the sound floats around you. HD820 still good but maybe 20% less "float."

Put on the HD820 in a noisy environment and your sound isnt spoiled. HD800S still listenable but the music is spoiled at times by obvious background interruptions. HD820 a good headphone to drown out the world with, HD800S a good headphone to let it all in.

They are complementary, one is is not better than the other. Both are cool. buy both.

Will continue adding more I gather throughout the week, for those interested.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 24
Day 2, I will say all of the above holds true.

One additional note on fit; the shallower cups of the HD800S makes it more comfortable to rest your head back, whether it is sitting in a chair or in a bed.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 24
@ruinedx any more thoughts? I just got both in myself and evaluating them...will eventually keep just one.

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 24
@ruinedx any more thoughts? I just got both in myself and evaluating them...will eventually keep just one.
Well it's been 4 months.

Initial impressions still hold and I continue to use both regularly

Hd820 have more low end oomph and isolation , hd800s better midrange and more refined. For most music when its noisy hd820 is better, when it's quiet hd800s better. But they are very close and both spectacular. Would not want to give up either. The hd800s has a special midrange but the low noise floor on the hd820 from the isolation is special too.

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 24
Thanks for the update...after only a few days w/ both, I 'hear' what you're saying. I also find the HD820 to be too heavy for my liking; I keep feeling it's going to fall off my head. And, even in the winter w/ the house at about 66ºF, I feel my ears getting warm so come summer I bet they'll be even warmer (and uncomfortable).

Due to the fact that my house (and listening room) is pretty quiet, I'm leaning towards keeping the HD800S and putting the HD820 $$$ into an amp upgrade, like the iFi iCAN for example.

But, I'm going to give it a little more time (both cans are used and broken in) to make sure.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 24
Thanks for the update...after only a few days w/ both, I 'hear' what you're saying. I also find the HD820 to be too heavy for my liking; I keep feeling it's going to fall off my head. And, even in the winter w/ the house at about 66ºF, I feel my ears getting warm so come summer I bet they'll be even warmer (and uncomfortable).

Due to the fact that my house (and listening room) is pretty quiet, I'm leaning towards keeping the HD800S and putting the HD820 $$$ into an amp upgrade, like the iFi iCAN for example.

But, I'm going to give it a little more time (both cans are used and broken in) to make sure.
The HD820 is definitely heavier than 800S, one of its tradeoffs. But still light compared to some other headphones like ZMF etc

From experience with amps for HD800 I'd recommend one of these two

Less money
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33305

More money:
http://dnaudio.com/DNA-Starlett-headphone-amplifier.html

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 24
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #11 of 24
Now pls compare HD820 with 40 years older 2000 bucks cheaper Senn HD250 Linear.
TBH the HD820 is the only closed back Sennheiser (or any brand for that matter) I've ever heard that I loved, though I haven't heard the HD250. Rest I have heard had collapsed soundstage, closed-in sound which I hate. HD820 soundstage to me sounds bigger than open backed HD650 soundstage for instance.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 24
Have not but will look into it, thx
Yeh, for the HD800 specifically I think you will be extremely hard pressed to find a superior amp match in that price range; pair amp with the $18 Electro Harmonix 12AU7 tube.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #14 of 24
Interesting thread. I have never heard the HD820 so its interesting to see a direct comparison. I own the HD800S and I love them when properly amped and EQed. I never seriously considered the HD820 because they are so universally panned by the critics. I did recently purchase a ZMF Verite closed to complement my HD800s. I think I ruled out the HD820 because I wanted a totally different sound and the influence of the reviews. I probably should have listened to them myself, but in the age of Covid-19, that has been tough to do.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 24
Interesting thread. I have never heard the HD820 so its interesting to see a direct comparison. I own the HD800S and I love them when properly amped and EQed. I never seriously considered the HD820 because they are so universally panned by the critics. I did recently purchase a ZMF Verite closed to complement my HD800s. I think I ruled out the HD820 because I wanted a totally different sound and the influence of the reviews. I probably should have listened to them myself, but in the age of Covid-19, that has been tough to do.
Re: the reviews, too many people review how the frequency curve looks and don't understand how psychoacoustics work in a closed back

If you wanted a totally different sound you made a good choice because the hd820 sounds 90% like an hd800s. Just more bass and not as lush mids. Best for when you want the hd800s sound with the black background only a closed back can deliver. I will say there are times I just want to drown out ambient noise while still having the hd800s sound, and the hd820 is perfect for this

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back