Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Aug 11, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #6,436 of 6,504
Waiting on confirmation from Quad that it will drive the almost 600 ohm load of the 800S.I had a VA-One & I know the PA-One+ will sound amazing & I could flip my Burson to recoup half the cost of the Quad..I also put a few not often worn watches up for sale & the Dennis Had Dragon Inspire is well within budget reach,especially since I wouldn't need the fancy transformers(+$400.00) for low impedance cans.Truly stunning hand built SET with Balanced out..
UGHHHH there is also 3 other highly regarded amps I could consider but they do not have balanced out..2 of the Feliks Audio SET amps & the MicroZTOL MZ72 is also in budget range,all are regarded as borderline end game but I would have to use my Burson as DAC,adding another piece of gear & cable...TOOO many choices & money in the bank is a bad thing waiting to happen hahahaha...
The HD800S is only 300 ohm.

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #6,437 of 6,504
Well I run my 800S on a SS Amp Balanced Oppo HA-1, unfortunately no longer made. I do not use the on board DAC, a Delta Sigma style that's brutally harsh. I think the amp gives me all I need for power and performance! I wear my PowerBeats Pro everyday for my Urban Mushing (aka Dog Walk) and they perform so well I'm starting to think the Future is wireless! Freedom from the cable is so wonderful and yet the sound quality is pretty damn good!

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #6,438 of 6,504
The HD800S is only 300 ohm.
It's true that it's "only" 300 ohm, but I found it to be problematic on the two tube amps I tried it with (Audio-Space AS-3i and Ray Samuels Audio "The Raptor"), the noise floor was simply too high...

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #6,439 of 6,504
It's true that it's "only" 300 ohm, but I found it to be problematic on the two tube amps I tried it with (Audio-Space AS-3i and Ray Samuels Audio "The Raptor"), the noise floor was simply too high...
I think you misunderstood my meaning. I was responding to the chap who said they were 600 ohm. I realise 300 ohm is still quite a bit and need more to drive them than 32 ohm.

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #6,440 of 6,504
I think you misunderstood my meaning. I was responding to the chap who said they were 600 ohm. I realise 300 ohm is still quite a bit and need more to drive them than 32 ohm.
I saw that you answered to the other gentleman, I just wanted to chime in to share my experience that 300 ohm might still be high. I guess I would have been better to answer him directly! Sorry about that!

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #6,441 of 6,504
I saw that you answered to the other gentleman, I just wanted to chime in to share my experience that 300 ohm might still be high. I guess I would have been better to answer him directly! Sorry about that!
No problem and you do raise a good point about 300 ohms, but I guess a lot of the modern valve (and indeed SS) headphone amps are now coming with a range of impedance settings so you can better tailor the amp output. I guess that the HD800S is less stressful on an amp than if it were 300 ohm and an inefficient planar design.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #6,442 of 6,504
No problem and you do raise a good point about 300 ohms, but I guess a lot of the modern valve (and indeed SS) headphone amps are now coming with a range of impedance settings so you can better tailor the amp output. I guess that the HD800S is less stressful on an amp than if it were 300 ohm and an inefficient planar design.
It makes sense! It was well driven by the two amps, it's just the noise floor that didn't work. The impedance setting on modern amps would certainly help in that regard!

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #6,443 of 6,504
Actual measurements show the nominal impedance is 440 ohms rising to almost 700 ohms...
General results Sennheiser HD 800s
Channel

Center/Summary
Sensitivity average in band from 100 Hz to 10 kHz, dB/V

Impedance average in band from 40 Hz to 15 kHz, ohm

For 94,0 dB SPL need, VRMS

For 94,0 dB SPL need, mW

0,172​
The table shows a most important technical characteristics of Sennheiser HD 800s

*Center channel headphone is received by averaging between left and right channels

Impedance Sennheiser HD 800s
Channel

Left

Right

Resistance at 500 Hz, ohm

Resistance at 1000 Hz, ohm

The minimum value in band from 40 Hz to 15 kHz at frequency, Hz

The minimum value in band from 40 Hz to 15 kHz, ohm

The maximum value in band from 40 Hz to 15 kHz at frequency, Hz

The maximum value in band from 40 Hz to 15 kHz, ohm

This would explain why they didn't work well off the tube integrated amplifiers noted above,they are almost always made for low impedance cans...​

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #6,444 of 6,504
I appreciate the help but I don't think an electronic bass boost is going to be enough to cure my problem. To get an idea of how much bass I'm losing, lift your HD800S a few mm's off your ears while music is playing, - the bass almost disappears. That's the size of problem I'm facing! I've read that its possible to bend the headband to make it narrower by tying shoe laces around it for a few days. This might make the ear pads seal better around my ears. However I don't want to do anything that might affect re-sale value as the headphones are in absolutely mint condition at the moment.
You can trust me on this, my head is small, and I have leakage on the front and back of my head. I listen mostly to pop songs and outdoors, I use the momentum true wireless (a bassy monster). The ifi zen dac's truebass function fills in the missing sub-bass of the HD800s nicely for me. I have the ifi zen can as well, but finds the Xbass to sound muddled.

Otherwise you could try to find a wider ear pad like the one on HD820, but i'm not sure if they're compatible though.

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #6,445 of 6,504
Actual measurements show the nominal impedance is 440 ohms rising to almost 700 ohms...
General results Sennheiser HD 800s
Channel

Center/Summary
Sensitivity average in band from 100 Hz to 10 kHz, dB/V

For 94,0 dB SPL need, VRMS

For 94,0 dB SPL need, mW

0,172​
The table shows a most important technical characteristics of Sennheiser HD 800s

*Center channel headphone is received by averaging between left and right channels

Impedance Sennheiser HD 800s
Channel

Left

Right

Resistance at 500 Hz, ohm

Resistance at 1000 Hz, ohm

The minimum value in band from 40 Hz to 15 kHz at frequency, Hz

The minimum value in band from 40 Hz to 15 kHz, ohm

The maximum value in band from 40 Hz to 15 kHz at frequency, Hz

The maximum value in band from 40 Hz to 15 kHz, ohm

This would explain why they didn't work well off the tube integrated amplifiers noted above,they are almost always made for low impedance cans...​
So here's a thought, how about a pre owned Sennheiser HDV 820 until you can save up for a Cayin HA6A??? I've heard the HDV820 and its very good despite not having valves and comes with a decent DAC also. Then when you are ready financially go for the HA6A or HA300 if you sell a kidney.

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #6,446 of 6,504
I need more bass, not much more, but I do a modest boost. Heck I didn't find the TH 900 quite bassy enough either, at least it didn't have enough impact for me.

Get speakers. And a sub array.

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #6,447 of 6,504
I'm an Audio-GD "house sound" type of guy. That being said, I absolutely LOVE my HD800S with my Master 9. Couldn't be happier with precision, sound, and the warmth of it all, even if it is SS.

Love my 800S with my AGD amp also! AGD does not get enough credit.. Kingwa is a genius.

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #6,448 of 6,504
Looking for advice...
My current setup is a ZMF Aeolus and Bottlehead Crack, but I’m looking for a headphone with more soundstage/ detail.

From research I feel like I’d like the all around sound of the Arya better than the HD 800s, but then that would require buying another amp (which I’m not opposed to because the solid state sound might be what I’m looking for). It seems I already have an optimal amp for the HD 800s, but I’m worried I’d end up with two headphones on the extremes of intimate and spacious and wish I had just bought a best of both worlds headphone like the Arya.

So does anyone with experience with these headphones have advice that might save me time and money down the line? I wish I could demo but can’t due to location/ covid

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #6,449 of 6,504
Looking for advice...
My current setup is a ZMF Aeolus and Bottlehead Crack, but I’m looking for a headphone with more soundstage/ detail.

From research I feel like I’d like the all around sound of the Arya better than the HD 800s, but then that would require buying another amp (which I’m not opposed to because the solid state sound might be what I’m looking for). It seems I already have an optimal amp for the HD 800s, but I’m worried I’d end up with two headphones on the extremes of intimate and spacious and wish I had just bought a best of both worlds headphone like the Arya.

So does anyone with experience with these headphones have advice that might save me time and money down the line? I wish I could demo but can’t due to location/ covid
If you really like the sound of your ZMFs already and it would be reasonable to imagine that's why you bought them? Why not go for a more top of the range ZMF? I mean what I think of the Ayra vs HD800 doesn't matter as it's your money, your choice. If you try your existing headphones with a balanced cable that can help with the imaging (IMHO) .
As it happens I much prefer the HD800 and 800S over any of the Hifi Man range with the exception being the Susvara which is excellent......but that's what I hear and chances are you will have a different view. I mean these are not cheap things, take your time and don't read a review or someone else's thoughts and buy a product on that basis.....PLEASE.

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #6,450 of 6,504
If you really like the sound of your ZMFs already and it would be reasonable to imagine that's why you bought them? Why not go for a more top of the range ZMF? I mean what I think of the Ayra vs HD800 doesn't matter as it's your money, your choice. If you try your existing headphones with a balanced cable that can help with the imaging (IMHO) .
As it happens I much prefer the HD800 and 800S over any of the Hifi Man range with the exception being the Susvara which is excellent......but that's what I hear and chances are you will have a different view. I mean these are not cheap things, take your time and don't read a review or someone else's thoughts and buy a product on that basis.....PLEASE.
Im not really considering another ZMF because I want some diversity in sound signature. My Aeolus on tubes has sounded a bit homogeneous and lacking clarity, which is the appeal of that combo, but I would like some contrast.
Going balanced is a good recommendation which is why I’ve been considering the ifi ican so I can have SS, tubes, balanced, and the ability to run my Aeolus and whichever I decide between the Arya or HD 800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back