Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 9, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #5,521 of 6,504
  I thought I was at end game
very_evil_smiley.gif
But I have been following this thread since inception and I am really intrigued by what I have been reading about the HD800S. I have seen them in person but have not auditioned them on my system.  Love the black look and feel of the original HD800.  My current system consists of the McIntosh MXA-70 {Same as the MHA-100 but with the McIntosh speakers}.

With the Mc, I have Bass Boost which I have permanently set to +2.5db and I'm pretty much in heaven with some exceptions of poor recordings.  The Mc is forgiving and the Bass Boost helps. I have/listen to a lot of 70's, 80's 90's stuff ripped from CD to losses format. Would the HD800S be a little more forgiving of these recording?

Would I be giving up anything going to the HD800S? After years of this HeadFi thing, I've decided that I'm a One HP kind of guy so would be selling the HD800 to get the HD800S. A friend of mine has the HD800S and will be coming over at the end of October {we're gong to the Toronto Audio Video Show TAVES}  so I will get to hear them on my system and probably answer my question.
Source with be the McIntosh MXA-70 and Naim DAC-V1.
Thoughts, Comments?
Tx, M

Love the HD800S, hate the Leafs. I think the 800S is a fantastic sound signature. I am a modest basshead who still appreciates a well done, balanced signature and the 800S is really working for me with both SS and tubes. I do slightly boost the lower bass (I do this for all open back headphones mind you) and I am extremely satisfied with the 800S. I listen to a great deal of EDM, electronica, prog rock, jazz, Nu-Jazz and the 800S is working it for me.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #5,523 of 6,504
  I am listening to Dark Side of the Moon SACD right now though HD800S... AMAZING!!!

For me Daft Punk, Random Access Memory, also very nice. I like The Wall almost more than Dark Side of The Moon. I'll spin DSOTM later, thanks for reminding me to listen to that album!

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #5,526 of 6,504
  Love the HD800S, hate the Leafs. I think the 800S is a fantastic sound signature. I am a modest basshead who still appreciates a well done, balanced signature and the 800S is really working for me with both SS and tubes. I do slightly boost the lower bass (I do this for all open back headphones mind you) and I am extremely satisfied with the 800S. I listen to a great deal of EDM, electronica, prog rock, jazz, Nu-Jazz and the 800S is working it for me.

My taste in music is much different than yours, and I use only tube amp with no equalization. But I too am extremely satisfied with the HD800S. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #5,527 of 6,504
  My taste in music is much different than yours,

Classical? The Elise is supposed to be fantastic sounding. I almost got an Elise, but the 339 is also well regarded and I was able to get one here in Canada and avoid that expensive shipping from Poland.

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #5,528 of 6,504
  Classical? The Elise is supposed to be fantastic sounding. I almost got an Elise, but the 339 is also well regarded and I was able to get one here in Canada and avoid that expensive shipping from Poland.

My taste in music is probably a product of my age. Symphonic classical, opera, 50s and 60s pop, folk, country, ballads, etc.

I've had my Elise since January and absolutely love it. But, of course, the 339 is also highly regarded.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #5,529 of 6,504
Thanks. Not a fan of the Leafs either :) Not a fan of equalization either :) I also listen to a lot of electronic, EDM plus 70s-80s-90s rock and pop.
After owning a few tube amps, I find the McIntosh a fabulous SS with a touch of tube warmth and great drive.  Probably why I love it with the HD800 and the +2.5db bass boost is so natural.  Can't wait until I get a chance to audition the HD800S on my system later this month.

Quote:

My taste in music is much different than yours, and I use only tube amp with no equalization. But I too am extremely satisfied with the HD800S. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #5,531 of 6,504
wow fan of the leafs here, bleed blue and white, so take it easy. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #5,533 of 6,504
beerchug.gif

Sorry, have to put up with way too many super obnoxious Leaf fans at Ottawa home games so I'm almost obligated to not take it easy! I actually was a big Leaf fan until Ottawa was granted it's own franchise.

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #5,534 of 6,504
Mickey Vee,

How do you say you dislike equalization but then state you like about 2.5db of Bass Boost?  ???
blink.gif

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #5,535 of 6,504
beerchug.gif

Me too...Darryl Sittler was my hero growing up!
  Sorry, have to put up with way too many super obnoxious Leaf fans at Ottawa home games so I'm almost obligated to not take it easy! I actually was a big Leaf fan until Ottawa was granted it's own franchise.

Sorry man...I lived in Ottawa in the late '90s and that obnoxiousness came from the Senator fans from what I could see. They hated it when the Leafs came to town as we'd be 80% of the stadium. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back