Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Mar 25, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #3,931 of 6,504
Mmm....more grip perhaps provided you have the right amplifier. HEK, which I find to be the more interesting headphone, is less demanding, amp-wise. Hence, easier to enjoy and use. That's why I am looking forward to receiving my WA8 since it is being touted as powerful enough to drive the HD 800S. We'll see. I love both headphones but, for me, the HEK has higher fun quotient than the HD 800/HD 800 S.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #3,933 of 6,504
  Just recently bought a hd 800s and was wondering if anyone's hd 800s has the lettering on the right side of the headphone that say "high definition driver 300 ohm" fade a bit?

mmm.....you made me look. Mine has zero fading. Unit acquired  2nd week of January and only maintenance I've done is to clean it up a bit with a microfibre cloth and a makeup brush for the nook/crany  to avoid scratching.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #3,934 of 6,504

mmm.....you made me look. Mine has zero fading. Unit acquired  2nd week of January and only maintenance I've done is to clean it up a bit with a microfibre cloth and a makeup brush for the nook/crany  to avoid scratching.

From what i saw it appears that a bit of the paint is not printed on the headphone sort of like how it looks when you print something when the printer do not enough ink but it does not really bother me as long as it sound good.Just wanted to know if anyone has this problem and it sort of add a unique characteristics to the headphone 
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #3,937 of 6,504
This is what he actually said:- 

[COLOR=333333]Speaking of EQ, when I listen to the two headphones EQed, I think I tend to prefer the old HD 800, but it's close. With the HD 800 S I find myself being somewhat cautious about my bass level setting—bringing it up to where I like it does make the distortion a bit more obvious. On the other hand, I can tweak out a notch at 6kHz to try to tame the spike in the old HD 800, but the resonance is still there in the headphones, and if a signal gets hot around 6kHz then you can hear it zinging. Niether are perfect, but I think I prefer having to fiddle with the 6kHz notch a bit based on the music playing rather than not being able to dial the bass up to where I want it without lows becoming a bit too congested. However, if I wasn't using EQ, I'd easily prefer the HD 800 S.[/COLOR]

Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response#ZcJ1DjfWcVExH1J5.99

That's seems entirely unequivocal to me. He prefers the old un-modded HD800 to the HD800S when using EQ. 

Until you change the emphasis around... and read further. :rolleyes:

"Fresh out of the box in stock form, the new HD 800 S provides a terrific listening experience; I don't think I've ever heard clarity expressed so musically before. Yes, the experienced listener may hear some slight loss of articulation in the bass due to increased distortion, but on the whole I do prefer the added warmth to the cooler presentation of the HD 800.

The HD 800 S adds musicality to the legendary precision of HD 800, strengthening its position as the world's finest dynamic headphone."

Fact is, as Tyll said, if you don't mind modding and EQing, the HD800 still has plenty of appeal. However, I heartily agree with his decision to knock the old HD800 off the WoF, and for the very same reason:

The HD 800 S will knock its predecessor off the Wall of Fame. The old HD 800 is just too troublesome for owners—finding system synergy with headphone amplifiers and upstream gear has for too long been a struggle for owners. I'm also sick of telling people it's a great headphone but needs modification to be enjoyable. Having a headphone on the Wall of Fame with that kind of disclaimer does not really serve consumers well.

I've modded the crap out of my 800s, and even run EQ with them (when possible, I can't do that with my turntable) and while they're technically amazing I've never loved them, that's not true with the 800S. I can just hook up to my ECBA, put on a favorite LP, and lounge in audio bliss.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #3,939 of 6,504
Maybe can we stop here with the exegesis or Tyll's sacred scripture and move on ? 

Move on to what, precisely? We're discussing the headphone. I honestly don't understand some of you people. :confused:

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #3,944 of 6,504
  don't know if anyone can see but the ohm symbol looks a bit unpainted,does this classified as manufacture defect?

on the bottom left side of the ohm symbol, it is slightly unpainted as compare to the rest of the lettering

That's really pretty minor. Proably got scraped during packing or if your retailer opened them (which is common). 

I wouldn't worry about it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back