Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Mar 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #3,826 of 6,504

Not through TT but they are balanced, analytical, and warmish. Honestly can't stop listening.

At your signature, what is the "DHC compliment 4"?

Im into custom cables. c4 is double helix cables compliment 4 pure silver type 4 litz. It looks like I'm 3 weeks from delivery, so give some pictures and thoughts about it then. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #3,827 of 6,504

Looks like a $1,000 headphone cable!  Seriously? http://music-sanctuary.com/products/dhc-complement-4-occ-copper-litz-headphone-cable

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #3,828 of 6,504

Looks like a $1,000 headphone cable!  Seriously? http://music-sanctuary.com/products/dhc-complement-4-occ-copper-litz-headphone-cable

with pure silver 3d printed Y splitter, 8 feet its 1800$. Pure silver type 4 litz. I didn't get spore thats another 600$. Plus it takes 12-16 weeks till delivery. I know I know its crazy, but so far peter cables have been worth it. Again give a critique and pictures in a month.

Here is the right link.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=183

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #3,830 of 6,504
Will these be a considerable upgrade from hd600? how about in terms of bass? Are these also going to be a lot brighter? I know the 600s are dark. I like my 600s, great value, but its time for an upgrade. One thing i know is that the 600s are bass anemic. I dont expend the 800s to be bass heavy because they arent planars or anything, but i am hoping it is a solid upgrade in bass too if im coughing up $1700

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #3,831 of 6,504
  Will these be a considerable upgrade from hd600? how about in terms of bass? Are these also going to be a lot brighter? I know the 600s are dark. I like my 600s, great value, but its time for an upgrade. One thing i know is that the 600s are bass anemic. I dont expend the 800s to be bass heavy because they arent planars or anything, but i am hoping it is a solid upgrade in bass too if im coughing up $1700

Regarding the bass, vs. Audeze this may be hard to believe but I actually am finding about equal the bass with my HD800 S, as my Audeze LCD-3's. The difference is the Audeze sorta hold back some of the higher frequencies such that you hear/pay attention to the bass more on them (ie. darker signature). But in terms of overall bass quantity, the HD800 S are on par, with more presence and overall clarity throughout. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #3,833 of 6,504
I'm not sure I'd say there's as much bass as the LCD-3, but it's not off by much. The thing is, it's so much more precise and layered on the 800S, not to mention the incredible detail and near-flawless tone of the mids and highs. While I do agree that the old 800s have a broader/deeper soundstage, it's close enough that you don't miss the slight loss and it's only apparent when doing direct A>B comparisons.

Essentially, Sennheiser has taken what was a very finicky (and oftentimes annoying) headphone, that would light-up every weakness in your system and source material, and turned it into an immensely satisfying, well-rounded beauty, without sacrificing what draws enthusiasts to it in the first place, the uncanny ability to retrieve details like no other. While certain headphones have better individual properties, like the way the SR-009 handles acoustic instruments, or the Sony R10s unmatched female vocals, no other seems to do everything quite as well as the 800S.

I'll need more time with them before crowning them the "all-rounder" king, but so far it's leaning that way.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #3,834 of 6,504
I'm not sure I'd say there's as much bass as the LCD-3, but it's not off by much. The thing is, it's so much more precise and layered on the 800S, not to mention the incredible detail and near-flawless tone of the mids and highs. While I do agree that the old 800s have a broader/deeper soundstage, it's close enough that you don't miss the slight loss and it's only apparent when doing direct A>B comparisons.

Essentially, Sennheiser has taken what was a very finicky (and oftentimes annoying) headphone, that would light-up every weakness in your system and source material, and turned it into an immensely satisfying, well-rounded beauty, without sacrificing what draws enthusiasts to it in the first place, the uncanny ability to retrieve details like no other. While certain headphones have better individual properties, like the way the SR-009 handles acoustic instruments, or the Sony R10s unmatched female vocals, no other seems to do everything quite as well as the 800S.

I'll need more time with them before crowning them the "all-rounder" king, but so far it's leaning that way.

You wrote-: "While certain headphones have better individual properties, like the way the SR-009 handles acoustic instruments, or the Sony R10s unmatched female vocals, no other seems to do everything quite as well as the 800S."

I have a totally different opinion and I strongly favor the HE1000 as the headphone that "seems to do everything well" and I think that it is much more musically-accurate than my HD800 (anax-modded) and also likely the HD800S (according to some people who have both headphones). My HE1000 can "retrieve details" significantly better than my HD800 (which is well known to be very accomplished from this perspective).

Jeff.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #3,835 of 6,504

You wrote-: "While certain headphones have better individual properties, like the way the SR-009 handles acoustic instruments, or the Sony R10s unmatched female vocals, no other seems to do everything quite as well as the 800S."

I have a totally different opinion and I strongly favor the HE1000 as the headphone that "seems to do everything well" and I think that it is much more musically-accurate than my HD800 (anax-modded) and also the HD800S (according to some people who have both headphones).

Jeff.

you have both?

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #3,836 of 6,504

You wrote: "While certain headphones have better individual properties, like the way the SR-009 handles acoustic instruments, or the Sony R10s unmatched female vocals, no other seems to do everything quite as well as the 800S."

I have a totally different opinion and I strongly favor the HE1000 as the headphone that "seems to do everything well" and I think that it is much more musically-accurate than my HD800 (anax-modded) and also likely the HD800S (according to some people who have both headphones). My HE1000 can "retrieve details" significantly better than my HD800 (which is well known to be very accomplished from this perspective).

Jeff.

you have both?

There's no need for a consensus. Everybody's right in his/her own preference. Mine is constantly fluctuating (between four headphones). But one constant is that I find the HE1000 to provide the best detail and the highest accuracy – and most of the time to be the most universal headphone for all genres. This with adequate equalizing, mind you, which frees it from its «forgiving» and relaxing characteristic. Under the same premise the HD 800 (classic) is the most relaxing headphone within my collection.

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #3,837 of 6,504
who is looking for consensus? It helps to listen to form a preference as you have done jazz. well in this case of omitting the S in an S thread.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #3,838 of 6,504

There's no need for a consensus. Everybody's right in his/her own preference. Mine is constantly fluctuating (between four headphones). But one constant is that I find the HE1000 to provide the best detail and the highest accuracy – and most of the time to be the most universal headphone for all genres. This with adequate equalizing, mind you, which frees it from its «forgiving» and relaxing characteristic. Under the same premise the HD 800 (classic) is the most relaxing headphone within my collection.

Preferences are always legit as long as they're built on personal experience and not
according to some people who have both headphones 

:wink:

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #3,839 of 6,504
I personally cannot get over the soft / smooth / veiled sound of the HE-1000. There is something fundamentally wrong with that headphone according to my ears.

But maybe I'm in the minority since Tyll has the HE-1000 on the wall of fame. It makes me wonder if the HE-1000 I was listening to was defective.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3,840 of 6,504

Preferences are always legit as long as they're built on personal experience and not
according to some people who have both headphones 

:wink:

I haven't heard the HD 800 S. After all nobody has reported that it sound more detailed than the HD 800. Since I equalize my own HD 800, I suppose I can get the sonic balance somewhat close to the «S» (which I would equalize as well to match my preferred sonic balance and my HRTF). So I would dare to state that I consider the HE1000 a more genre-versatile headphone than the HD 800 S.

Note that Jeff wrote:

Note the «likely»! To me his statement was perfectly legitimate.

That said, I like my HD 800 and would likely like the HD 800 S as well (modified and equalized).

People shouldn't feel so easily offended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back