Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 18, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #3,376 of 6,504

Mike F,

This not to offend anyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkZPj9F0y18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1gSHa-45P8&ebc=ANyPxKoSjG19sgBnTcos-9KO1ArVo0MUFRCNMQZxVqwOoGepsG2jmppWK_6xEd-F9qXO9o0Pryi9

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #3,377 of 6,504
As mentioned earlier
'Wear-and-tear' of longer or heavily used earphone pads are resulting in clear change of sound perceived... so it would be correct to compare older hp-s with newer hp-s only, when earpads are new or [almost] unused. (it could be with 2 years old HD800 vs unused HD800S or within comparizon of different pairs of HE1000 and other hp-s ...)

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #3,379 of 6,504
On orchestra it sounded way too smooth and veiled according to my ears. And the treble sometimes sounded very harsh and then it sounded smooth again all of a sudden.

Maybe the HE-1000 I listened to was defective? Every review is very positive about these headphones, even Tyll is so this might be case.

mmm....I don't doubt what you are hearing. Bottomline: both the HE 1000 and the HD 800 S are top-notch headphones and their virtues far outweigh any perceived shortcomings. Worthy of respect and both HPs deserve their place in summit-fi.

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #3,380 of 6,504
Source makes a ton of difference with the HE1000, not so much with HD800.
snip
Funny, because I had the exact opposite reaction on my system.
To the extent that I put the 1k's back in their box when I couldn't hear any differences after making a system tweak that was clearly evident on my 800's.

And I have long observed that 800's are VERY source dependent.

Different folks/strokes I guess.

JJ

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #3,381 of 6,504

The first step is a better cable and the second step is a better source/amp?

Don't you think that order should be in reverse?

That's debatable. I suppose someone who bought a HE1000 already has invested a goodly amount for electronics. In any event I found the cable replacement essential for the HE1000 – in my case I would rate it even more important than source and amp (among the ones at my disposal). After all the ~$300 for the cable will offer greater benefit than a $300 upgrade in the source or amp department.

wt heck?
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #3,383 of 6,504

wt heck?:blink: :blink: :confused: :blink: :blink: :confused: :blink: :blink: :confused: :blink: :blink: :confused: :blink: :blink: :confused: :blink: :blink: :confused: :blink: :blink: :confused: :blink: :blink: :confused:  

+1 :beerchug:  

I also agree. For one, source dac/amp is very important. The 800s does take a bit of power, I can only compare to th900 which is a much more efficient can. My TT powers the S just fine but the volume is up quite high and can now see why gsx mk2 amp could be of benefit. The intricacies of the dac part are very important and considering a cost of 300$ is just misleading. 3000 maybe.
I am a cable upgrade guy, I don't have my dhc c4 yet but in my experience multiply times 5 to get a cable that truly enhances sq.
third this hobby truly has no bounds and the faint of wallet is an upgrade mugs game. Stick with stock and stop reading head fi is my suggestion. It's been the best and worst of times for myself. :darthsmile:
Just to add, the TT and S are a very good pair IMO. The mid detail in TT goes excellently with the salient mid detail of the S. The TT base slam helps the S get down as best it can.

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #3,384 of 6,504
I use a Silver Dragon, which was about $300, originally terminated for the HD 800, now reterminated for the HE1000. It makes a considerable difference in the right direction.

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #3,385 of 6,504
I use a Silver Dragon, which was about $300, originally terminated for the HD 800, now reterminated for the HE1000. It makes a considerable difference in the right direction.

Cool to see you join the hardware upgrade component side. I thought you were just an eq guy. :p

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #3,386 of 6,504

Cool to see you join the hardware upgrade component side. I thought you were just an eq guy.
tongue.gif

No, no, hardware all the way! (See my signature!) Economy needs a drive.
wink.gif
(Just kidding.)

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #3,387 of 6,504

Same here. I use the silver dragon on mine as well. Took the same route with reterminting too to save some money.

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #3,388 of 6,504
Anyone in the San Francisco bay area looking for a pair of these?

I am looking to part with mine. Just got them from Meier audio and have decided I like my HE1k's too much to let these stay in the box, figure someone else would love them :)

used / listened to for about 4hrs, litttle to no burn in otherwise 

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #3,390 of 6,504
  YAMAHA NS1000M is old studio monitor and studio monitors must reveal all what is in recording... actually it is same also with HD800(S)
From web here:...'Yamaha NS-1000m[...] Suddently, I realized I was in front of a giant pair of headphones. The sound lets you peer into it just like with the headphones'....

Hello
Sorry for the late response
YAMAHA 1000 were and remain unique reflection of sound
- here in Israel do not recognize this wonderful speaker .not believe I'm saying that this is something special and there is no price even comes close to US $ 5000/1000 -
Today.
I went to headphones also have the additional noise recordings .With music and original sound of instruments. Was heard by the Yamaha 1000 clearly - it gives you exactly what you put into it .and have an amplifier and source only the best can give him 1000M.
And now is very similar to the classic 800

I was in front of a giant pair of headphones YES YOU DID ........
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back