Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 17, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #3,361 of 6,504
And for those who care, slap Sonarworks or favourite EQ with HD800. You'll be amazed on the clean subbass it can produce.

I've no idea how HE1000 is constructed, but HE560 was laughable there with it's common buzzing and overexcursion problems. HD800 doesn't flinch at anything you want to throw at it.
I can attest to the sub bass extension, detail and power that the 800's can deliver without breakup and distortion.

It can rattle your head and body.

JJ

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #3,362 of 6,504
The HE-1000 is an inferior headphone. It sounds veiled and mellow. The only thing the HE-1000 does better is sub bass. And even despite the mellow and veiled sound of the HE-1000, the treble can still "screech". The build quality is also quite poor, it feels quite flimsy and easy to break.

The imaging doesn't sound so accurate to me (the soundstage was wide though) and details was also lacking in comparison to the HD 800 S.

But I can see why people like the HE-1000 if they don't pay attention to the technical performance because the HD 800 S sounds thinner next to the HE-1000 since it has more buttom end.

mmm.....no veiling as far as my ears are concerned and no screeching either. And the build quality of the HE 1000 (at least mine) is at par with any HP around. All headphones will break if you abuse it. I baby all my headphones. No breaking. No aching (in the wallet). And no driver failure ever (that includes my 3 Audezes). BTT, I still prefer the musicality of the HE 1000 over the more analytical and reference-sound of the  HD 800 S (and 800), if push comes to shove.

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #3,363 of 6,504
The HE-1000 is an inferior headphone. It sounds veiled and mellow. The only thing the HE-1000 does better is sub bass. And even despite the mellow and veiled sound of the HE-1000, the treble can still "screech". The build quality is also quite poor, it feels quite flimsy and easy to break.

The imaging doesn't sound so accurate to me (the soundstage was wide though) and details was also lacking in comparison to the HD 800 S.

But I can see why people like the HE-1000 if they don't pay attention to the technical performance because the HD 800 S sounds thinner next to the HE-1000 since it has more buttom end.

I think that my HE1000 is far superior to my HD800 from an audio-sound perspective. It definitely doesn't sound veiled or mellow and the treble never screeches. By the way, I use a Vioelectric V281 headphone amp to drive it and my CD-source is a PS Audio Memory Player Transport.

Jeff.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #3,364 of 6,504

Is the earpad material same as the HD800?

mmm...yes, the same felt-like material is common to the 800 and 800 S. Although, the 800 S earpad material seems to be firmer to the touch  than the 800. But my 800 is two years old so I can't really say that it is by design (on the S) or simple wear and tear (on the 800).  

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,365 of 6,504
mmm.....no veiling as far as my ears are concerned and no screeching either. And the build quality of the HE 1000 (at least mine) is at par with any HP around. All headphones will break if you abuse it. I baby all my headphones. No breaking. No aching (in the wallet). And no driver failure ever (that includes my 3 Audezes). BTT, I still prefer the musicality of the HE 1000 over the more analytical and reference-sound of the  HD 800 S (and 800), if push comes to shove.

On orchestra it sounded way too smooth and veiled according to my ears. And the treble sometimes sounded very harsh and then it sounded smooth again all of a sudden.

Maybe the HE-1000 I listened to was defective? Every review is very positive about these headphones, even Tyll is so this might be case.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #3,366 of 6,504

mmm...yes, the same felt-like material is common to the 800 and 800 S. Although, the 800 S earpad material seems to be firmer to the touch  than the 800. But my 800 is two years old so I can't really say that it is by design (on the S) or simple wear and tear (on the 800).  

Sounds like they are the same. (..wear and tear)  Thanks!

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #3,367 of 6,504
Just subscribed to the thread.

I had a chance to demo the HD800 again last night.  Wow much more impressive than I remember.  I liked the treble actually and didn't find it too peaky but since my demo was pretty short, I am not sure if this would be the same case for extended listening.  I thought it was very comparable (and better in someways) than the LCD-X.  The one thing that absolutely destroyed the LCD-X in was in weight and comfort.

Definitely will be looking for more HD800S impressions before pulling the trigger on either model.  Initial impressions seem to say that the treble peak is reduced along with deeper bass extension which honestly would be my biggest gripes with the headphone itself.  Can't wait to try it out when it comes into the states.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #3,368 of 6,504

On orchestra it sounded way too smooth and veiled according to my ears. And the treble sometimes sounded very harsh and then it sounded smooth again all of a sudden.

Maybe the HE-1000 I listened to was defective? Every review is very positive about these headphones, even Tyll is so this might be case.

I'm not surprised that the HE1000 can be perceived like that – I do hear these traits, too, to a minor extent. The first step to eliminate them is a better cable (I use a Silver Dragon, which seems to be a really good match, but maybe it gets even better) which will make for much smoother treble, more sparkle and better extension. The second step is a high-quality source and a good amp (or even better: a Hugo/TT/DAVE with intergrated «amp»). That said, I'm not sure if the Hugo has the best synergy with the HE1000, but there's step 3 for the ultimate achievement, lifting it to another sonic level: careful equalizing. No need for respecting component synergy anymore! You don't know what the HE1000 is capable of! Softness is gone, smoothness is there.

To my experience the HE1000 has even higher potential for said measures than the HD 800. Which still wins in terms of impulsivity (drum beats!), particularly in the midrange, but only in direct comparison.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #3,369 of 6,504
I'm not surprised that the HE1000 can be perceived like that – I do hear these traits, too, to a minor extent. The first step to eliminate them is a better cable (I use a Silver Dragon, which seems to be a really good match, but maybe it gets even better) which will make for much smoother treble, more sparkle and better extension. The second step is a high-quality source and a good amp (or even better: a Hugo/TT/DAVE with intergrated «amp»). That said, I'm not sure if the Hugo has the best synergy with the HE1000, but there's step 3 for the ultimate achievement, lifting it to another sonic level: careful equalizing. No need for respecting component synergy anymore! You don't know what the HE1000 is capable of! Softness is gone, smoothness is there.

To my experience the HE1000 has even higher potential for said measures than the HD 800. Which still wins in terms of impulsivity (drum beats!), particularly in the midrange, but only in direct comparison.

The first step is a better cable and the second step is a better source/amp?

Don't you think that order should be in reverse?

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #3,370 of 6,504

That's debatable. I suppose someone who bought a HE1000 already has invested a goodly amount for electronics. In any event I found the cable replacement essential for the HE1000 – in my case I would rate it even more important than source and amp (among the ones at my disposal). After all the ~$300 for the cable will offer greater benefit than a $300 upgrade in the source or amp department.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #3,371 of 6,504
I think that to have a comparison where only the intrinsic sound qualities of headphones like the HD800 (with or without the S) and the HE1000 are to be compared, the source and amplification must not have limitations that may benefit the most efficient or euphonic of them.
Regarding DACs, I guess there are more and more on the price range of these headphones, that if not top range, at least won't have flagrant limitations.
As to amplification, perhaps a McIntosh (reference of a local Portuguese writer named Jose Victor Henriques: http://www.hificlube.net/pt/artigos/reviews-testes/hificritic-reviews-by-jvh.aspx) or a Simaudio (reference from well-known Tyll Hertsens), will be examples of amplifiers that won't benefit any of the headphones, and could be used as "neutral" references.
A comparison done with any equipment with power (or other) limitations cannot be a "absolute" comparison, but only valid on that equipment, I think...

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #3,372 of 6,504

I have heard a pair in shop that had the treble issues. Another pair in another shop had no such issues. The problem pair also had this boosted/hard snare inpact. I think there is either some serious burn in to be had or some serious pair to pair variation. Overall both were more laid back and sounded less resolving of finer detail than HD 800 side by side. The pair without the treble issues sounded quite pleasant.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #3,373 of 6,504

Source makes a ton of difference with the HE1000, not so much with HD800.
Cabling is an art.  It's mostly hit or miss for me.

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #3,375 of 6,504
  i can't read the whole thread... so anyone experienced, summarize it for me? what is the difference between the hd800 and hd800s... is it worth the upgrade and other stuff like that...

Read here!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/795365/sennheiser-hd800-s-impressions-thread-read-first-post-for-summary/240#post_12350999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back