Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 11, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #2,596 of 6,504
Jan 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2,597 of 6,504
  It's a great business model that has made him billions.  I'd say it's pretty perfect!  

Adjust your scale out of Capitalism and into the realms of the truly human. Making money is not the sum total of all good.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,598 of 6,504

Adjust your scale out of Capitalism and into the realms of the truly human. Making money is not the sum total of all good.

Are you seriously giving me a lecture on humanity?  What did Beats ever do to your humanity?  And you totally missed that I was sarcastic in my original post, so you're clearly a robot trying to lecture me on humanity, which is why you're missing the boat.  

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #2,599 of 6,504
Beats ARE humanity. There would be no civilisation without these stunning headphones.

HEK? Orpheous 2? HD800S? LCD-4? Abyss? All kneel before the master headphone!!!

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #2,600 of 6,504

Try here for 'transparency or depth'.. It seems spot-on (at least with iFiMicro iDSD-> Lake People head-amp-> HD800)

Thank you - for this 
I abandoned long ago the possibility of files to music -
I believe the sound generated- from devices, for example  marantz SA11 S1 or  sony XA50ES or technics  SL-P990.-marantz cda-94 ......many more
connected to a variety of amplifiers. as  luxman  P-1U / BCL or port of of the  tremendous sound DENON DAP-2500A
.Although it from the 90 the DAC sound as  deep wide open and all its wonderful connection to  this denon ........ example sony  X707ES.
after endless comparisons with REGA DAC /  oppo 105D with exactly those files  and  cds of the .-Once The same time file and CD - all shapes converted meantime it's best to WAV - but CD's still better - recording exactly the same in all formats
- all three pairs HD800 {and now I had only 2}
result better- sound Timber depth of musical instruments separation - stage -I listen to classical.
- sound better in the original 16/44 or SACD - and I have 24 CDs / 192-24 / 48 * SACD classical recordings .......
DGG-DECCA-RCA-MERCURY-EMI-SONY-PHILHPS.......
Good recordings you can hear everything happening on stage and in the transparency and depth and separation

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #2,601 of 6,504
With the HD800S, there was also a black HDVD 800 introduced. What is the name of that DAC + amplifier and are the specifications changed (the biggest thing I didn't like about the original HDVD 800 was the high output impedance)?

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #2,602 of 6,504
With the HD800S, there was also a black HDVD 800 introduced. What is the name of that DAC + amplifier and are the specifications changed (the biggest thing I didn't like about the original HDVD 800 was the high output impedance)?

The only difference that Senn spoke about is the ablity of the new DAC to play DSD. The output impedance of the Senn amps is designed to perfectly match the tricky impedance requirements of the HD800 and now the S. I think they did a great job... But I have only heard the classic with the Senn amps not the younger bro.

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #2,603 of 6,504
  Beats ARE humanity.

Very Andy Warhol of you
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #2,604 of 6,504
I remember discussion years ago here in HeadFi about recordings/mixings... few accused some labels 'that those labels make recordings, which sound is good in any equipment' [i.e. those 'middle of the road' recordings/sound are not really good for true high-end]...
Then again I know, that for example Elvis Presley himself have tried new recordings (before commercial release), on average 100USD turntable-speakers combo... if sound was not 'good'[?] for him, then he 'forced' to make new mix...

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #2,605 of 6,504
Are you seriously giving me a lecture on humanity?  What did Beats ever do to your humanity?  And you totally missed that I was sarcastic in my original post, so you're clearly a robot trying to lecture me on humanity, which is why you're missing the boat.  

Sarcasm is hard to detect in written online posts. Also, there's just so much 'if you can afford it, clearly you deserve it' on head-fi that I just wanted to put out there that maybe financial success isn't the only rubric that counts. It wasn't meant to be a personal attack, but I can see how it comes across that way. I don't know you and didn't intend to impugn your personal character.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #2,606 of 6,504
  Beats ARE humanity. There would be no civilisation without these stunning headphones.

HEK? Orpheous 2? HD800S? LCD-4? Abyss? All kneel before the master headphone!!!

With all seriousness, Take an artist that is sure to use beats, or that advertises beats. I listen to a few such artists. Then I consider this: That artist will never know how his music sounds like on expensive headphones, or how good it can sound. Then I ask myself if this is depressive, amusing or rather plain wrong. Not to mention that some artists have high resolution music mixed up with beats. Like, I can understand some people liking beats and such, but come on, they are veiled and muffled sounding. On another thought, this means that those who master the music will actually try to make up for veiled sound in their monitors, so, details will be more proeminent, leading to either more detailed music on good headphones, or rather dynamically compressed music. I guess that there will be downsides and upsides every time,no?

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #2,607 of 6,504
Here is simple and easily understandable basic somehow practical explanation about 'mixing' and 'tools for mixing' (for the beginners with small budget)
(hope that occasional advertisement on webpage is not stopping reading 'to the end')

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #2,608 of 6,504
  Here is simple and easily understandable basic somehow practical explanation about 'mixing' and 'tools for mixing' (for the beginners with small budget)
(hope that occasional advertisement on webpage is not stopping reading 'to the end')

I sold these monitors to get $290 ones. The difference in price was huge, but the difference in sound wasn’t so great.

You know, someone who advertises that 300$ monitors are expensive and difference in price is Huge at this price point.... Well... HD800 alone is more expensive, not to mention amps, DACs, cables and so on. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #2,609 of 6,504
  I sold these monitors to get $290 ones. The difference in price was huge, but the difference in sound wasn’t so great.

You know, someone who advertises that 300$ monitors are expensive and difference in price is Huge at this price point.... Well... HD800 alone is more expensive, not to mention amps, DACs, cables and so on. 

Actually HD800 has been compared (on some more serious 'mixing' related sites) with 'almost foolproof' Adam A7X... and price was on same range. True, those speakers typically 'win the game', but compared to them HD800 has stronghold in bass(!) section. Yes If budget is important then HD800 headphones are suggested for mixing of 'bass section' [i.e. studio suitable loudspeakers with really excellent and usable deep bass, have much higher price)

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #2,610 of 6,504
I own the HD 650's and 800's.  I must say I enjoy them both, but the 800's outshine the 650's for soundstage, clarity, and balance, etc.  I must say it took several HP amps before I realized the full potential of my 650's.  They're not 800's but they are very good for their price.  My current HP amp tones down the 800's 6Hz spike and makes them quite pleasurable with many genre's of music. It has also removed the 650's "veil" rendering the highs with a pleasant, satisfying sparkle that's never strident or piercing (unless that's the way it was recorded).. If the 800 S isn't producing more bass then I'll stick with the 800 (sometimes I crave a bit more bass.  I have the Audeze X and plan to sell it because the bass clouds the midrange and highs.  Can't take it).  But what I wrote to say is that I saw the 800 S is now for sale in the USA at a major on-line store.  I'm not sure I can mention their name but the listed price is $1800 but they're selling it for $1699.  If allowed I'd be more than happy to mention their name.  I'm sure it would make a LOT of folks happy! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back