Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 31, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2,131 of 6,504
  Either the HD800 classic or youngster will compliment the TH900. They are much closer to eachother than to the TH900. 

I think that I am looking the most after a review against a TH900 than other headphones, though the comfort in un-beatable on sennheiser hd800. Too sad it seems that they taking away the peak at 6khz means taking away the treble energy
redface.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #2,132 of 6,504
Have these comparisons been with unmodded HD800s so far?

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #2,133 of 6,504
  I think that I am looking the most after a review against a TH900 than other headphones, though the comfort in un-beatable on sennheiser hd800. Too sad it seems that they taking away the peak at 6khz means taking away the treble energy
redface.gif

If you like the treble energy buy the original HD800. They haven't stopped selling them.

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #2,134 of 6,504
 Too sad it seems that they taking away the peak at 6khz means taking away the treble energy
redface.gif

The HD800 S definitely sounds less airy. 
  Have these comparisons been with unmodded HD800s so far?

My comparison has been between two unmodified 'phones. My HD800 has an upgraded cable (custom) and newish pads. The Youngster is all stock.

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #2,135 of 6,504
^ Thanks. I definitely wonder how close the modded would be to the S as well as the stock version.

I wouldn't hate it if the HD800 ended up being preferable by some in the end considering how many used ones that will become available.

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #2,136 of 6,504
  ^ Thanks. I definitely wonder how close the modded would be to the S as well as the stock version.

I wouldn't hate it if the HD800 ended up being preferable by some in the end considering how many used ones that will become available.

I imagine it will soon be a very good time to buy a used HD800. I didn't like my HD800 modded. And based on Sorrodje's graph from a few days ago, it seems the HD800 S is better behaved in the 6khz region. That seems about right to my ears...

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,137 of 6,504

If you like the treble energy buy the original HD800. They haven't stopped selling them.

I am afraid that the 6khz peak does not cut it either
biggrin.gif

I need my treble energy peak to start at around 10khz and to hit a peak at 12-13khz, if this happens earlies it is a hot treble, and distracts from music. 

Ie800 are perfect in this aspect. 

I really hope for something similar in the treble region. 

If you watch the graphs for the old HD800 

The peak starts way too early, and it hits rock bottom at 10khz, where I really want my treble to be at. 

The 6khz peak masks the treble after it and this kills it for me with the original, so this is why I am still sticking around here for a while
biggrin.gif

Does anyone think that I should be looking into TH900 instead? (th900 also has a peak in 7-8-9khz instead of my beloved 10-12-14 khz area ) My other choice for perfect sound was Sig dj from ultrasone, which is a different beast entirely. Too bad that only HD800 is that comfortable..

Da fuuuuu Sig dj has a bad fr, I just looked it up on golden ears. But so does TH900 compared to Sennheiser Ie800 
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #2,138 of 6,504
Subbed!
Curious to read about these
I just modded my HD800 and right away I can hear the difference, need more time for a proper conclusion but so far I like what I'm hearing.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2,140 of 6,504
biggrin.gif

I need my treble energy peak to start at around 10khz and to hit a peak at 12-13khz, if this happens earlies it is a hot treble, and distracts from music. 

I know what you mean, but don't give too much to the FRs... I remember Tyll once saying that >10kHz measurements are very unreliable.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #2,141 of 6,504
biggrin.gif

Ie800 are perfect in this aspect. 

I really hope for something similar in the treble region. 

If you watch the graphs for the old HD800 

The peak starts way too early, and it hits rock bottom at 10khz, where I really want my treble to be at. 

The 6khz peak masks the treble after it and this kills it for me with the original, so this is why I am still sticking around here for a while
biggrin.gif

Does anyone think that I should be looking into TH900 instead? (th900 also has a peak in 7-8-9khz instead of my beloved 10-12-14 khz area ) My other choice for perfect sound was Sig dj from ultrasone, which is a different beast entirely. Too bad that only HD800 is that comfortable..

Da fuuuuu Sig dj has a bad fr, I just looked it up on golden ears. But so does TH900 compared to Sennheiser Ie800 
biggrin.gif

im the same but the ie800 drop too much in the mid.. from the graph.. but yeah i don't understand how people can call that hd800 neutral from the graph...

i think i'll go stax sr-l700 then.. im sure the midrange curve is more adequate.. and highs and lower distortion.. and more resolution..

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #2,142 of 6,504
  I don't think sennheiser are putting the s on the headband! which is stupid. It was noticed in the video - if they are calling it the HD800s then they should have that printed on the damn can 

That would take time, effort and money.

For the folks in Canada, the HD800S will retail for $2,199.95, and will be available in January.

(man almost twice the price of what I paid for my HD800...)

They can keep it.

Basically. Unfortuantely, Sennheiser is raising the price because they can; in that regard they are no different than any other headphone maker at this time.

Of course, you will get pushback for this "combative" opinion due to post-purchase rationalization, the halo effect, and so on.

If they sound 20% better than the HD800, fine. But "better" is always subjective anyway. I've been around here long enough (and owned enough headphones) to know that patience is a virtue. The 'new-toy' and 'sense of pride' effect is immediate but the moaning will eventually begin. It always does.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #2,144 of 6,504

I stand corrected. Thanks!

At least I do know how m40X sounds like, and it is bad in every possible way, so I feel sorry for looking too much into fr.

If we put it that way, I listened to sig dj for a while, and I know thaat it actually sounds really nice, I was just amazed that when I listened to it, I never thought that the FR would look like that. I feel sorry for the bass roll off though, which was not as bad as other ultrasones I heard, but was there.  

I know what you mean, but don't give too much to the FRs... I remember Tyll once saying that >10kHz measurements are very unreliable.

Thanks for this too!

im the same but the ie800 drop too much in the mid.. from the graph.. but yeah i don't understand how people can call that hd800 neutral from the graph...

i think i'll go stax sr-l700 then.. im sure the midrange curve is more adequate.. and highs and lower distortion.. and more resolution..

You should hear either before getting one, because as I was corrected earlier, how fr looks like is one part of the problem. The other is about the other characteristics of sound, and we should all take into account that fr is eq-able, but detail, soundstage, microdetails, texture, comfort are not EQ-able, so this is why HD800S is still a very important factor of attraction for me 
biggrin.gif

Happy new year 2016 to everyone!

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #2,145 of 6,504
  The HD800 S definitely sounds less airy. 
My comparison has been between two unmodified 'phones. My HD800 has an upgraded cable (custom) and newish pads. The Youngster is all stock.

Not according to my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back