Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2,086 of 6,504
Also, if you have the time and energy left, please compare with edition 5 too, because while I expect them to be extremely different, edition 5 has it's own qualities. 

Sorry but I sold the ED5 Two weeks ago

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #2,087 of 6,504
Dec 30, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2,088 of 6,504
Sorry but I sold the ED5 Two weeks ago

I thought that you still had them because they still appear in your signature 
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #2,089 of 6,504
  I Just received today my HD800S and my DHRAMA for testing against my beloved TH900. I will wait for 3 days of burn-in before first serious feed-back but so far so good.
Sunday I will be at a Friend place to compare the 3 headphones to his HD800 and to a HE1000. All this with a TotalDAC and some TOL Amps.
This will be an interesting WK.

Can't wait for your impressions against the TH900.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #2,091 of 6,504
Me three, I just hooked up my modded th900 to my new TT and it just got better. It's a thing of beauty the 900 is now. I have a few weeks to wait for 800s so the feedback will heighten the whole anticipatory factor.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2,092 of 6,504
Me three, I just hooked up my modded th900 to my new TT and it just got better. It's a thing of beauty the 900 is now. I have a few weeks to wait for 800s so the feedback will heighten the whole anticipatory factor.

modded TH900 ??  Can you describe your Modd ?  I am interested for my own TH900...

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #2,093 of 6,504

modded TH900 ??  Can you describe your Modd ?  I am interested for my own TH900...

I used Lawton ( although my favourite cable company now is double helix which I used for my 846 and ordered compliment 4 for my soon to arrive hd800s) to replace the stock cable with black scorpion, 22 awg Jenna labs copper cable, and I ordered the diy level 1 tune up kit. I have only installed the dampening kit and am keeping the larger size angle pads as a replacement. My egg membrane originals are holding up just fine. I did not replace those beautiful cups tho. They are original. The effects of all this. The cable added some detail separation and some muscularity ( but the stock cable is not far behind IMO) the dampening kit gave me some tighter base slam but did not reduce the sub base extension. It also smoothed out that high frequency issue with some tunes with the 900.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #2,094 of 6,504
I used Lawton ( although my favourite cable company now is double helix which I used for my 846 and ordered compliment 4 for my soon to arrive hd800s) to replace the stock cable with black scorpion, 22 awg Jenna labs copper cable, and I ordered the diy level 1 tune up kit. I have only installed the dampening kit and am keeping the larger size angle pads as a replacement. My egg membrane originals are holding up just fine. I did not replace those beautiful cups tho. They are original. The effects of all this. The cable added some detail separation and some muscularity ( but the stock cable is not far behind IMO) the dampening kit gave me some tighter base slam but did not reduce the sub base extension. It also smoothed out that high frequency issue with some tunes with the 900.

thanks.  I tested once a "full mod" Lawton TH900, and .. I did prefered my TH900 with just a 3rd party copper cable. May be I will try to order the dampering kit to try.

I will also be VERY interested to know what you think of the Compliment 4 for your HD800s since I just received me HD800s today...

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #2,095 of 6,504

thanks.  I tested once a "full mod" Lawton TH900, and .. I did prefered my TH900 with just a 3rd party copper cable. May be I will try to order the dampering kit to try.

I will also be VERY interested to know what you think of the Compliment 4 for your HD800s since I just received me HD800s today...

Then we are both looking forward to hearing from each other :beerchug:

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #2,096 of 6,504
I really want more info on the HD800s since headphone comfort is very important for me.. but i don't want to sacrifice the mids resolution and imaging.. i don't mind EQ for low bass if needed..

it's kinda sad that you don't have the stax sr-l700 to compare too :wink: .. i love stats clear sound..

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #2,097 of 6,504
  I Just received today my HD800S and my DHRAMA for testing against my beloved TH900. I will wait for 3 days of burn-in before first serious feed-back but so far so good.
Sunday I will be at a Friend place to compare the 3 headphones to his HD800 and to a HE1000. All this with a TotalDAC and some TOL Amps.

It'll make for a very interesting comparison. Headphones taking part are Sennheiser HD800/HD800S, Audeze LCD-XC, Hifiman HE1000, Fostex TH900 (that is if you bring them). Amplifiers involved are HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and Eddie Curent EC445. The DAC will be the TotalDAC D1-Dual. And as a bonus, we'll throw in the Chord MOJO and an AK380. I might be forgetting some stuff...

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #2,098 of 6,504
I really want to hear the soundstage of the famed HD800, but I've got the planar bug bad. I'm thinking I may try the Ethers before I ever try this venerable headphone, S-version or regular.

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #2,099 of 6,504
Anyone tried the Pro-Ject DAC Box RS my search for a stand alone DAC made me stumble at this one.  Its a Hybrid DAC with solid state as well as tube option with switch.  Any thoughts?  Basically the plan is:

Mac Book / Pioneer BDP-88FD --> Pro-Ject DAC Box RS ---> CORDA CLASSIC-ff --> HD 800 S 

Mac Book / Pioneer BDP-88FD --> Pro-Ject DAC Box RS --->Decware MK III Taboo - LCD-2 (Fazor) 

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #2,100 of 6,504

It'll make for a very interesting comparison. Headphones taking part are Sennheiser HD800/HD800S, Audeze LCD-XC, Hifiman HE1000, Fostex TH900 (that is if you bring them). Amplifiers involved are HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and Eddie Curent EC445. The DAC will be the TotalDAC D1-Dual. And as a bonus, we'll throw in the Chord MOJO and an AK380. I might be forgetting some stuff...

Looking forward to your impressions.  Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back