Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 23, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #1,831 of 6,514
  Arrgh I was looking forward to this but the inside EU price 1595€ is way too high. The price has almost doubled from old HD800 which was 845€ last time I checked. :frowning2:

How about $2100 Canadian......feel better now?

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #1,832 of 6,514
The black paint job is sexy as heck.  Extra bonus is that since it's black if it gets scratched you can barely notice since the base plastic is black too.  

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,833 of 6,514

How about $2100 Canadian......feel better now?

You have a source Beagle? or is this based on an educated guess (US vs CDN exchange)

The black paint job is sexy as heck.  Extra bonus is that since it's black if it gets scratched you can barely notice since the base plastic is black too.  

Not to mention that a black Sharpie works wonders
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,834 of 6,514
Dec 23, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,835 of 6,514

Finally after a long day at work, talking my son and nephew to The Hockey Hall of Fame, and then a Christmas party with friends, I'm now sitting down with my HD800S headphones. Construction wise, basically the HD800s with black...and man does the black look a whole lot better. Sound quality wise they are still very much the HD800's, but the treble is quite a bit less "prominent" in the 6kHz range...zero listening fatigue after an hour or so, so far. The bass has been tuned up a bit too (also a very good thing IMO). So far, I really like what I'm hearing...more to come.

did the soundstage shrink??

Paddy: That was a big concern of mine, figuring the more "natural" treble response would take away from the sound staging / air, but absolutely this is NOT the case. They are still the sound staging monsters that the originals were!

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #1,836 of 6,514

Finally after a long day at work, talking my son and nephew to The Hockey Hall of Fame, and then a Christmas party with friends, I'm now sitting down with my HD800S headphones. Construction wise, basically the HD800s with black...and man does the black look a whole lot better. Sound quality wise they are still very much the HD800's, but the treble is quite a bit less "prominent" in the 6kHz range...zero listening fatigue after an hour or so, so far. The bass has been tuned up a bit too (also a very good thing IMO). So far, I really like what I'm hearing...more to come.

Paddy: That was a big concern of mine, figuring the more "natural" treble response would take away from the sound staging / air, but absolutely this is NOT the case. They are still the sound staging monsters that the originals were!

Thanks for the impressions! I was hoping the soundstage would be a bit more natural. Between HEK and HD800S, pls let us know which one do you prefer in terms of imaging and soundstage. Thanks!

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #1,837 of 6,514

Please post your HD800S and HD800 individual response curves :)

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #1,838 of 6,514

Thanks for the impressions! I was hoping the soundstage would be a bit more natural. Between HEK and HD800S, pls let us know which one do you prefer in terms of imaging and soundstage. Thanks!

That will take some time...I'm only about 60 minutes in to them so far. But in terms of imaging the HD800S/HD800 do have the most expansive sound staging and the HE1000s are pretty close.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #1,839 of 6,514

Please post your HD800S and HD800 individual response curves :)

I'm off to bed...midnight here and a lot going on with the holidays...I'll try over the next few days. Good night all!

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #1,841 of 6,514

I'm off to bed...midnight here and a lot going on with the holidays...I'll try over the next few days. Good night all!

Very eager to read your detailed review :)

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #1,842 of 6,514

Looking forward to it.

Happy holidays Peter.....Happy holidays everyone !  
beerchug.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #1,845 of 6,514

Is this the new HD800S? And where did you order it? Im trying to get one but can't find anywhere that sell it? 

Yes, thats the S. Its just rolling out to distributors and dealers in EU. I happen to know some people involved, but it won't take long for them to appear in shops. Its a bit of a bad timing on Sennheisers part as this is hindered by the holidays of course...

I don't like the sibilance and would welcome the bass (and love the black color) but I kind like the in your face detail.  

Hm, I think the spike in lower treble and those in your face details are related... hard to have both. But to me the HD800S finds a good balance in that regard.

plakat...congratulations on your new toys!!!

I would consider this to be somewhat of a mistake.   My HDVA600 makes all my headphones sound amazing.   

Thanks -- just in time for vacation :)
If that's your experience I'll try it out... I'm not opposed to use the HDVD800 for other phones, just did not expect it to be a generic amp and bought it just with the HD800S pairing in mind.

Thats my feeling as well... less stressful/fatiguing but still very spacious and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back