Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 13, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #1,621 of 6,504
  The  Sennheiser is obviously technically better but it's soundstage seems to go sideways where as the Ultrasone has more depth, it's at the front as well.

As I said in my original post different ears hear differently. 

I don't know how you could think the HD800 soundstage seems to go sideways unless you have been using poor amplification and/ or a poor source.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #1,622 of 6,504
Do you have Ed12? Otherwise you are joking. I said Ed12, because David Mahler said Ed12 have ONE of the most impressive sound stages of all time. But other than that Ultrasone are not impressive in that regard.

The ED12 was the only headphone that I sold with loss, but was extremely happy about it. If piercing treble are a big soundstage for you... The HD800 treble are nowhere near the ED12 in that regards.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #1,624 of 6,504
Moon-audio is now offering pre-orders that will arrive by January 
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,627 of 6,504

Not this again.   I looked on his webpage.   I looked under HD800S, Sennheiser, new products, etc.   Couldn't find them anywhere. 

Do you have a link?  

Did he list a price?   

http://www.moon-audio.com/sennheiser-hd800s-headphones.html

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #1,628 of 6,504
mmm......my dealer here quoted a reasonable price. By reasonable I mean that it was in line with my expectations re: a totl HP like the 800. Sorry can't reveal the price. Suffice it to say that I did not hesitate to pre-order, at the quoted price,  without the benefit of an extended audition. I love the HD800. I hate the HD 800. I expect to change that to: I love the HD 800 S. I love the HD 800 S. My only apprehension: I hope the HP is more scratch/chipping-resistant than the 800.

One thing I don't understand is the chipping, as I have seen a few of them chipped. I have had 3 HD800s and not one chipped paint. Are people throwing these HPs around like they are some cheap Beats cans or something.

(Knock on wood that mine don't chip now) lol

See that you get a balanced cable, it's not that bad of a price.

Anyone let me know if someone wants to offload some XLR cables they don't need.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,629 of 6,504

mmm......my dealer here quoted a reasonable price. By reasonable I mean that it was in line with my expectations re: a totl HP like the 800. Sorry can't reveal the price. Suffice it to say that I did not hesitate to pre-order, at the quoted price,  without the benefit of an extended audition. I love the HD800. I hate the HD 800. I expect to change that to: I love the HD 800 S. I love the HD 800 S. My only apprehension: I hope the HP is more scratch/chipping-resistant than the 800.

One thing I don't understand is the chipping, as I have seen a few of them chipped. I have had 3 HD800s and not one chipped paint. Are people throwing these HPs around like they are some cheap Beats cans or something.

I don't understand it either.   I handle mine carefully and don't have any chips.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,630 of 6,504

My HD800's have four or five small silver paint chips off on one side.   They've never left my house, no one else but me has ever used them.   I have no idea how this happened.  It's a tad frustrating to have this happen on a TOTL headphone in this price range.   

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,631 of 6,504

I don't know how you could think the HD800 soundstage seems to go sideways unless you have been using poor amplification and/ or a poor source.

I've only had the Senn's a couple of days, you may be right they are starting to sound good. Don't underestimate S Logic though, listening to trance with it's multi layered tracks and sounds appearing from all angles is pretty amazing on the 2500's, especially with the bass they have. 

I have to buy a balanced amp, I have a balanced MDAC and Cardas cable or can use the stock cable through my Little Dot 3.

I Like the Violectric Audio HPA V181 amp, no import duties just over £500 from Thomann, but everyone says tube amps are the way to go with the 800's, DNA Sonett looks nice, pair of three pinned balanced connectors for my Cardas a bonus, a bit more expensive as it's from the US.

Only other choices I see are the Little Dot or Woo Audio balanced amps.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #1,632 of 6,504
I'm a little surprised at the pricing, are the new version the reason the originals are being shifted on ebay at £675. High end audio shops still seem happy to charge over a thousand pounds for them. When you consider the cost of a replacement cable for the HD800 they are a bargain with two in the box if you are prepared to pay the full price for them.

The only other reason I can think of with regard to those on ebay is they get them in cheaper EU countries and ship them over here and make a tidy profit. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,633 of 6,504
My hd800's have lots of small scratches and chips on the silver paint, and they have never left the house as well. As much as I love them the build quality is a bit lacking, especially when compared to my other totl cans: t1 ,ether's, and oppo pm1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back