Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 19, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,171 of 6,514
  What headphone amp do you guys recommend for the HD800?

Vintage speaker amps.  Out of my Pioneer Spec system the sound is great and the bass makes you realize these are far from bass-light as so many have said. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,174 of 6,514
  Jazz, mostly acoustic, classic.

I think the HD800 can afford to loose a tad of detail with analog tubes. This softens the music presentation. The HD800 depending on source can be highly detailed. With a 2 channel to my ears the acoustics of the room play with the enjoyable musical merits of piano, vocals.

In the headphone realm the softer analog tubes provides a musical mellow state with the HD800. This lays back the energetic energy the HD800 provides. 

That's how I enjoy take the sound signature of the HD800 (even better with modifications) This is where I'll will be buying more gear so that I can play with my source and change amplifier. My typical music genre I think I should be using tubes.

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,176 of 6,514
  what do you typically listen too??

After auditioning the Woo Audio WA6 (non SE version) it presented the music very nice when I listened to jazz vocals/piano/trumpet. 

I listen to a lot of jazz and trumpet especially... the WA5 with the right tubes is amazing. I use mine with a yggy. Sounds incredible - great HD800 combo

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,178 of 6,514
  I listen to a lot of jazz and trumpet especially... the WA5 with the right tubes is amazing. I use mine with a yggy. Sounds incredible - great HD800 combo

I heard the Yggr/WA5 and Yggr/Rag stacks driving the HD800 at the Nashville meet.  Both had excellent SQ, and the WA5 was over the top.
MattTCG raves about his GMB/Mojo2 stack as pairing well with the HD800.  
My entire knowledge base in two sentences.

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,180 of 6,514
  I agree
Now remind me,just where did the HD800s rank in Tyll's Big Sound Review?(against all the highly praised new Headphones and Electros-albeit modded - but then don't we modify many of our Headphones one way or another?)

I'm not familiar with Tyll's Big Sound Review (post a link please) but on David's Battle of the Flagships review the HD800 were ranked #6 on the SQ list and #6 on the value list.  He stated they were the best dynamic HP's in production at the time of his review (a few years back).  Just FYI.

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,181 of 6,514
Could just as easily be for "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". It does not have the same sound. The reports have started coming in already, try the interwebs.

Could just as easily be for "Silly".    It does not have the same sound...just like a modded HD800 does not have the same sound.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,182 of 6,514
The HDVD800 doesn't get enough mention, but boy that combo has excellent synergy.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #1,183 of 6,514
  I think the HD800 can afford to loose a tad of detail with analog tubes. This softens the music presentation. The HD800 depending on source can be highly detailed. With a 2 channel to my ears the acoustics of the room play with the enjoyable musical merits of piano, vocals.

In the headphone realm the softer analog tubes provides a musical mellow state with the HD800. This lays back the energetic energy the HD800 provides. 

That's how I enjoy take the sound signature of the HD800 (even better with modifications) This is where I'll will be buying more gear so that I can play with my source and change amplifier. My typical music genre I think I should be using tubes.

+1 on this post above. I am now addicted to music like never before in the last 20 years thanks to HD800, a decent sounding source and a tube amp.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #1,185 of 6,514
^ I agree.

Good Source + Good tube amp + HD800 = Audio Nirvana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back