Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 27, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #601 of 6,504
The part that's bold.  "Analogy = [COLOR=222222]a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification."[/COLOR]

sorry to sound like a pedant but that description wasn't an analogy because it was contrasting rather than comparing. it didn't liken the hd800 to the stax or vice versa by way of an analogy but differentiated between them - just saying.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #602 of 6,504
  There's always a market for those who have expendable income

Put a new coat of paint on it and some of those who bought the earlier one and love it will "upgrade".

Improve on an issue that was holding potential owners off from buying - they will now buy it.

Refresh something that was a scary price for people half a decade ago - on their current income it's not so scary - they will buy it.

Show it to a couple of high profile forum posters with zero hype, promises or specs - all the umming and ahhing will be done prior to the announcement/release date etc - speculation and drooling will be sorted - pre-orders are guaranteed.

note: am probably going to buy one now - while the original HD800 had been an out of reach, never to happen dream. The bundling of the balanced cable will also drag me into the amp at least - probably the DAC too. The refresh has definitely made me look at the product again... and think - "I could actually own one now". Am tipping that I'm not alone in finding that their wallet is a bit more padded than it was when the headphone originally came out and they made a decision to never pay more than $xxx for headphones. The realisation that I can now if I want to is a huge hurdle that's been jumped.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #604 of 6,504
Well said raband.  They will have my preorder as well, The inclusion of a balanced cable (since I'm currently looking for a balanced amp) and the re-tuning has got my attention. I still like the original 800, so I think I'll hold on to it.  

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #605 of 6,504
sorry to sound like a pedant but that wasn't an analogy because it was contrasting rather than comparing. it didn't liken the hd800 to the stax or vice versa by way of an analogy but differentiated between them - just saying.

OK comparison then.. My goodness.  
cool.gif

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #606 of 6,504

Put a new coat of paint on it and some of those who bought the earlier one and love it will "upgrade".

Improve on an issue that was holding potential owners off from buying - they will now buy it.

Refresh something that was a scary price for people half a decade ago - on their current income it's not so scary - they will buy it.

Show it to a couple of high profile forum posters with zero hype, promises or specs - all the umming and ahhing will be done prior to the announcement/release date etc - speculation and drooling will be sorted - pre-orders are guaranteed.

note: am probably going to buy one now - while the original HD800 had been an out of reach, never to happen dream. The bundling of the balanced cable will also drag me into the amp at least - probably the DAC too. The refresh has definitely made me look at the product again... and think - "I could actually own one now". Am tipping that I'm not alone in finding that their wallet is a bit more padded than it was when the headphone originally came out and they made a decision to never pay more than $xxx for headphones. The realisation that I can now if I want to is a huge hurdle that's been jumped.

Nice commentary, good read. You should look into doing journalism. But yes, on your points, FYI i'm low on cash but demand quality, so people like myself are in a bit of a quagmire. If the reviews come in that this new 800S is the holy grail and has amended it's shortcomings, and maybe drop the price a little, then fortknox could have a problem on their hands
biggrin.gif

I can get the cash if i absolutely have too for this 800S, but it better be nirvana! I'll pay top dollar for anything that performs, holy grail type stuff where the consensus is bordering 'unanimous' and i then get to 'confirm' with my own ears. Unlike the consensus around the HD650 headphone, going by the threads you'd swear it's a must have, until i auditioned it for myself, and then flop city. It's a possibility for me this new S model, but even better if they rejig the HD700 with a new variant and get that purring, that could be more doable. Anyone hear any rumour that Senny might be doing the same to the HD700??

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #608 of 6,504

Nice commentary, good read. You should look into doing journalism.

Love the smell of sarcasm in the morning :wink:

I've had a couple of drops of the amber and got a bit verbose - think the points still stand though?

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #609 of 6,504

Love the smell of sarcasm in the morning :wink:

I've had a couple of drops of the amber and got a bit verbose - think the points still stand though?

Funny thing is i don't deal in sarcasm, it's not my style. You were not verbose, you were on tack with all your post. You have a clarity in your comments and they stay relevant and interesting. Stood out to me as a tad beyond most writers. Foster your talents and use them well, be proud of it. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #610 of 6,504
All good - Think I was just unprepared to have a post I made commented on (feel like a total amateur in a field of pro's)

As you said - I'll break the bank for this one - all it needs is a few decent reviews and no glaring issues from them that know (and are realistic)

Am just hoping Sen prices it at the original level with minimal markup for the extra cable.

Maybe even price the new unit plus cable at the price of the original - lower the price of the original HD800. Would make sense if you think about it.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #611 of 6,504
HD800 MSRP price just increased not long ago.  So lowering their price only goes back to their non inflated original price :p  It's probably part of their setup to slowly adjust the price for their HD800S...  anyhow, seems like they just screwed their HD800 customers by releasing HD800S.  Especially the new HD800 owners...

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #612 of 6,504
The hd800s tuning is not your typical diy trick apparently. Axel mentionned about a tuned absorber for specific frequencies (helmholtz resonator for those who know a bit about acoustics). That was, they might have addressed the 6khz peak without killing of the upper treble (they managed to extend the highs actually).

Cheers,
Arnaud

Beyer do the same tricks, I'm impressed senns learn this up.

But a forged composite waveguide/frame?  to me it's somehow make a big deal.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #613 of 6,504
This is a good analogy and one that I agree with.  Although the 007 mkI on the BHSE is a much better headphone that one would expect.  IMO the bass texture on that combo and the 009/BHSE is more precise when compared to the HD800s as well.  

Good post.
Thx. I also agree with your SQ comments very often, guess it's a case of ears brotherhood :)
Looking for a BHSE to test for quite a while already but it's impossible to find it in any shop. And the EU meets arent so oft or abundant as the US ones.

up late
Also used to think that we may be still missing something in those measurements. And then I read this https://m.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2les0b/reading_impulse_response_how_to_get_the_most_out/. It's all in those freaking lil wiggles :). A more concise & precide guide on how to read that stuff would be very useful though.

Zuvio
Exactly, paying $1000+ for a HP that is not 100% ok is a clear no go for me.
Btw, what exactly was so wrong about the hd650 you tested? They surely have some issues but I cant really complain for the price. Modded mine by removing the small felt on the back and the penny-trick and I'm totally happy. Wouldnt even call that a mod, you just remove some felt and it takes about 5mins.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #614 of 6,504
  seems like they just screwed their HD800 customers by releasing HD800S.  Especially the new HD800 owners...

Every time there's a new/updated model there's a % of people who bought at the wrong time.

Usually noticeable with cars - as soon as you buy one the mid model update is announced and the one you just bought gets heavily discounted.

The inclusion of the balanced cable is a bit confusing though - it's like they're bringing out the MKII Mustang with a trailer.

Pisses off those that just bought a Mustang.

Confuses those that wanted to buy a Mustang but hadn't thought of getting a trailer.

Doesn't help those who want a Mustang, but already have a trailer.

Might make a few who wanted a Mustang realise that they'd also like having a trailer.

Leaves the majority wondering how much the price tag is going to be.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #615 of 6,504

Every time there's a new/updated model there's a % of people who bought at the wrong time.

Usually noticeable with cars - as soon as you buy one the mid model update is announced and the one you just bought gets heavily discounted.

The inclusion of the balanced cable is a bit confusing though - it's like they're bringing out the MKII Mustang with a trailer.

Pisses off those that just bought a Mustang.

Confuses those that wanted to buy a Mustang but hadn't thought of getting a trailer.

Doesn't help those who want a Mustang, but already have a trailer.

Might make a few who wanted a Mustang realise that they'd also like having a trailer.

Leaves the majority wondering how much the price tag is going to be.

lol I like your comparison, but at least cars you know when to expect their refresh or a redesign.  The HD800S just comes out of nowhere... It's like you think why they didn't do this a few years ago.  That "peak" was known for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back