Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 13, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,081 of 6,504
I think the issue is with bright gear u really hear the resonances and distortion. There are aome hot spots in the HD 800 frequency range and those regions can really stand out in frequency sweeps. I'm sure 009 has some hot resonances as well. It's like when u have your head near a wall and u start getting some nasty harmonics. With gear the distortion harmonics matters as well. Some more euphonic distortion might help to cover up nasty sounding distortion, and it probably helps not to add more unpleasant distortion.

So yeah with bright headphones synergy awareness is more important...

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,082 of 6,504
I'm sure someone at a Sennheiser Sales Meeting said, in German, Remember choose Silver for the Bright sounding 800 ' s or choose Black for the Dark Sounding 800 ' s. Yeah, someone said that.

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #1,083 of 6,504
old post

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #1,084 of 6,504
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BkZPj9F0y18&app=desktop

This video is really, really funny! But it taps into some warranted cynicism. I'm and HD800 owner and I too get the immediate knee-jerk reaction to run out and upgrade. Then I have to calm down and find my inner sanity.Sure I'll upgrade, to a HD900 or HD1000, if you get my meaning. And heck, I still don't even own a planar magnetic yet. LCD-4 for 4K, there's always that.

The hoopla makes me think of the cop from the Simpsons, "move along people, nothing to see here".

For all of you prospective HD800 owners that never took the plunge, now's your time!
First off I know there is a tremendous resemblance to me in the video. And I'm not saying I'm not that guy. But who got the camera into the marketing meeting? Hey gang how about the new Star Wars tie-in. The Vader 800 ' s Yah keeds get the Dark ones for Christmas. Lord Vader ' s favorites.

It is to laugh -- Daffy Duck

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #1,085 of 6,504
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BkZPj9F0y18&app=desktop

This video is really, really funny! But it taps into some warranted cynicism. I'm and HD800 owner and I too get the immediate knee-jerk reaction to run out and upgrade. Then I have to calm down and find my inner sanity.Sure I'll upgrade, to a HD900 or HD1000, if you get my meaning. And heck, I still don't even own a planar magnetic yet. LCD-4 for 4K, there's always that.

The hoopla makes me think of the cop from the Simpsons, "move along people, nothing to see here".

For all of you prospective HD800 owners that never took the plunge, now's your time!

That video is hilarious!!!  

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #1,086 of 6,504
I'm sure someone at a Sennheiser Sales Meeting said, in German, Remember choose Silver for the Bright sounding 800 ' s or choose Black for the Dark Sounding 800 ' s. Yeah, someone said that.

That would be great... I'm holding off my new over-ear purchase for the release of HD800S, hoping it will be an HD650 type of sound with HD800's technical capabilities. An HD850.

I also applaud Sennheiser for pricing these sensibly, unlike Audeze LCD 4 which just has an absurd price. I understand they don't have the production facilities of Sennheiser so prefer to get profit from selling headphones in lower volume but at higher prices, it's still an absurd price to me.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,090 of 6,504
I think the headphone companies are seeing how far they can push the prices and still have customers.
I mean look at Sennheiser.

I agree completely. 

And I say its time to push back.   If the price on the HD800S is $1799 or higher I WILL NOT BUY A PAIR.  

And I wish people would stop paying three grand for HiFiMan and four grand for Audeze.   That's just nuts.  

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #1,091 of 6,504
Don't point the finger at sennhiser. Look at all Te others like aduezee
Hifiman
And that other thing with the crazy bar on top for head band
Send houser makes all of there models cheap while the ones above are outrageous and no where near the skill in cfrasftmanship higiman has a quality control issue as well as
Others. Only sennhiser has s serial miners on there drivers and a real lab to test in unlike the others here.
As I do like all I mention it's still a long list of ripoff a in price.
Then let's go to the dap market where insanity rules even more. Lastly the iem market another suck the life out of us Market in prices.
The mobile audio and headphone market is on par worth the rest of audio combined and we sit here and wait for the next new product and look for a card that nits maxed out form the last purchase lol. As for the new send Orpheus it's not crazy they will sell a few hundred at best and it must of cost them a few million to develope so it's a flag ship that is a looser in profites like a statue at the entrance to a grand hotel
That's how I feel
As I travel the subways in NYC I have in my bag a mix of stuff
Like my ak240 and my HUGO and Roxane's or a bunch of others the pint is how dumb am I to have over 5 k Ina subway and cheap sneakers hahahhaa

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,093 of 6,504
Yes, hifiman has a $3k headphone...BUT they also offer an impressive $300 headphone with the 400s. I appreciate the diversity in offering value at the lower end. 

Mr. Speakers has always been a value leader IMO. And while the new Ether's, open and closed, are not inexpensive I feel they are fairly priced and not overpriced. 

Lastly, Sennheiser may overcharge for the hd800S, not sure. BUT...have have a heckuva value with the hd6x0. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,094 of 6,504
People like different genres, people have different sonic preferences, and people have different hearing.

What does it matter what anyone else prefers? Get what you love and enjoy the music. No need to push against those with different tastes :¬)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back