Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 5, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #872 of 6,504

I see your signature, you obviously sold off al lot of your stuff. And the only one left is the HD650! What happened?

Working 6 days a week since almost a year reduced my free time a lot. Free time if spent on music/games/movies is split between the re-blossomed loudspeaker setup, HD-800, TH-900 and so on. Impossible. Sometimes I wouldn't use anything for weeks so I figured it's better to concentrate on one headphone and sell off stuff. Timing was right as well as improved versions are on the way and prices fall. A pity as I really loved the possibilities from both headphones. Got pretty good money for the gear though.

However don't worry. Got the Gungnir Multibit incoming. 
biggrin.gif

About the HD 650: I think it's the best price/performance headphone in the world. There are a few sacrifices to be made however when coming from the HD800s. Most noticable is the bass section as in refinement, extension, "detail" (let's see what Dynamat changes), then soundstage both in imaging and most noticable: depth. I miss "frontal projection" with SBX when watching movies or trying out a game. After years with the HD 800 such differences aren't easy to "stomach", however it's easiest with music. That's where the HD 650 ultimately proves to be THE headphone to have out of and before all others. I cannot emphasize how clean (except the bass distortion) this headphone is and how the tonal balance is outright ideal (again, with the exception of the bass). More than a decade old but showing more detail than a few kilobuck headphones, disappearing and just letting music happen.

Seriously, get a Vali/Val 2, Bottlehead and a decent DAC starting from the Modi 2 and you'll be away from the competitors in its price range. Like far away. 

back to the topic: The HD800S sounds like the perfect headphone to me, however I refuse to buy it above HD 800 price level. Sure Sennheiser is not pulling an Audeze or Hifiman but forced bundling of a SECOND cable might be clever marketing (higher perceived value) but it's obvious to most of us how lame this is.

I also believe that the introduction of the HD800S will pave the way for a new flagship in the next 2 years. So better wait and enjoy the HD 650. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #873 of 6,504

I see your signature, you obviously sold off al lot of your stuff. And the only one left is the HD650! What happened?

Working 6 days a week since almost a year reduced my free time a lot. Free time if spent on music/games/movies is split between the re-blossomed loudspeaker setup, HD-800, TH-900 and so on. Impossible. Sometimes I wouldn't use anything for weeks so I figured it's better to concentrate on one headphone and sell off stuff. Timing was right as well as improved versions are on the way and prices fall. A pity as I really loved the possibilities from both headphones. Got pretty good money for the gear though.

However don't worry. Got the Gungnir Multibit incoming. 
biggrin.gif

About the HD 650: I think it's the best price/performance headphone in the world. There are a few sacrifices to be made however when coming from the HD800s. Most noticable is the bass section as in refinement, extension, "detail" (let's see what Dynamat changes), then soundstage both in imaging and most noticable: depth. I miss "frontal projection" with SBX when watching movies or trying out a game. After years with the HD 800 such differences aren't easy to "stomach", however it's easiest with music. That's where the HD 650 ultimately proves to be THE headphone to have out of and before all others. I cannot emphasize how clean (except the bass distortion) this headphone is and how the tonal balance is outright ideal (again, with the exception of the bass). More than a decade old but showing more detail than a few kilobuck headphones, disappearing and just letting music happen.

Seriously, get a Vali/Val 2, Bottlehead and a decent DAC starting from the Modi 2 and you'll be away from the competitors in its price range. Like far away. 

back to the topic: The HD800S sounds like the perfect headphone to me, however I refuse to buy it above HD 800 price level. Sure Sennheiser is not pulling an Audeze or Hifiman but forced bundling of a SECOND cable might be clever marketing (higher perceived value) but it's obvious to most of us how lame this is.

I also believe that the introduction of the HD800S will pave the way for a new flagship in the next 2 years. So better wait and enjoy the HD 650. 

Your going to dig the Multibit   
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #874 of 6,504

Your going to dig the Multibit   
beerchug.gif

The MB can make closed headphones sound "open." I know that with the Uber my Alpha Dogs sound congested and small soundstage like all the reviews say. Then the Theta opened the daylights on that.. looking forward to peoples faces when they hear it at the upcoming San Diego Head-fi meet

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #875 of 6,504
Yes, that 650 thing is pretty common around these parts.

I sometimes think I need to give the 650 another chance. I owned a 650 at the same time as a DT 880 and after a few months of really comparing I kept the 880 at that time. To hear people talk about the 650 like this makes me wonder what I missed? I had a nice SPL Auditor as my amp and a Schiit Gungnir at the time so my rig was solid enough I thought.

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #876 of 6,504

Yes, that 650 thing is pretty common around these parts.

I sometimes think I need to give the 650 another chance. I owned a 650 at the same time as a DT 880 and after a few months of really comparing I kept the 880 at that time. To hear people talk about the 650 like this makes me wonder what I missed? I had a nice SPL Auditor as my amp and a Schiit Gungnir at the time so my rig was solid enough I thought.

I feel exactly the same way.   I had a 650 a couple of years ago and thought it was ok but nothing that really grabbed me. I dumped it.  Now hearing everyone gush about it I may have to revisit.

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #877 of 6,504

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #878 of 6,504
pls. ignore post above. wrong thread. listening to it on a hd800 anax 2.0 though.

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #879 of 6,504

I feel exactly the same way.   I had a 650 a couple of years ago and thought it was ok but nothing that really grabbed me. I dumped it.  Now hearing everyone gush about it I may have to revisit.

Yup, the 650 seemed solid to me, but not enough to keep me content. I found myself reaching for my 880 more often. I have a buddy with a 650, maybe I'll get a week loan and try them again.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #880 of 6,504
As of right now HD650 is my endgame headphone it just does everything right, for all genres, sure the HD800 does classical and TH900 does EDM better, as an example, but as a all-rounder I don't know of any headphone at any price point that sounds quite like the HD650.

Here's hoping the HD800S has a little bit of that magic
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #881 of 6,504
  As of right now HD650 is my endgame headphone it just does everything right, for all genres, sure the HD800 does classical and TH900 does EDM better, as an example, but as a all-rounder I don't know of any headphone at any price point that sounds quite like the HD650.

Here's hoping the HD800S has a little bit of that magic
biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong I love my HD600/HD650 but I think the K7XX offer slightly better value as an all rounder.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #882 of 6,504

Y'all need to try an X2 (and I had both HD600 and HD650 for a very looong time).

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #884 of 6,504
  Don't get me wrong I love my HD600/HD650 but I think the K7XX offer slightly better value as an all rounder.

Y'all need to try an X2 (and I had both HD600 and HD650 for a very looong time).

K7XX I haven't tried, the X2 I have and really liked them.  Both headphones are quite similar in headband design with elastic inner band, which for me personally isn't ideal because of my physical disability which makes it a bit difficult to get them on my head.

I still want to audition the K7XX with what I've read I'm looking forward to it, and the X2 was quite a nice sounding phone too, it makes me think if the TH900 and HD650 had a baby it would be a X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back