Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Sep 17, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #5,401 of 6,504

Sorry if this is a stupid question as I'm still very noob to the head-fi world....

would it be a balanced?  moon-audio's website did not specify.  I thought XLR4 was simply just a connection type and it could either be balanced or not...

Nah XLR4 connector is the balanced connector that's being referred to. Other amps/cables have balanced XLR3 (3 pin connectors). Looking forward to your cable impressions. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #5,404 of 6,504
Is the Taurus really a better amp than the Dave though? Also, how do you rate the HD800 vs HD800S on this setup? 

On the Chord Dave an external amplifier seems to be overkill. The soundstage is just a fraction better which is not worth spending so much money on. But since I already had an external amplifier, I might aswell use it to get this slightly better soundstage.

I prefer the HD 800 S on this system, it sounds very neutral and natural.

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #5,406 of 6,504
The 800S has such a natural sound that helps bass drum hits have the proper thump and snap characteristic that is often missing to one extent on less capable drivers. Just listening to Daft Punk Random Access and the bass drum is a very important part of the sound signature of virtually every track so it is a good album (despite having a fairly processed sound) to test with. The Dave Weckl Band, Multiplicity is another such album if you like percussion.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #5,407 of 6,504
  Even when i have planned the total setup for an year. I still sometimes think "are they really worth the money" and every time i hear the HD800/HD800S i immediately think "yes. every penny"
And you are right. The HD800 does need a quite an setup to shine. Even in the S-version i am planning to buy AMP/DAC setup that is around 600-1000€ over the headphone price.

Really seriously if you just paid off your credit card and second day you went to shop and buyed 1000$+ headphones? One way i avoid this is from the ground up decided that the HD800S would be only "summit-fi" headphone i buy. Period. Good think though i don't even have an credit card and not planning to get one.... for obvious reasons in this hobby. 

I decided to keep them. I had a few listening last night and the sound is certainly a welcome addition. From memory I prefer the HD800 but I never had the chance to A/B the both and most importantly that HD800 was connected to a 5K dac/amp which certainly helped things.

I might be able to get the entire setup organised by end of next year but it is something to look forward too. I think it will stop me getting distracted and just focus on the rest of next year.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5,408 of 6,504
  I decided to keep them. I had a few listening last night and the sound is certainly a welcome addition. From memory I prefer the HD800 but I never had the chance to A/B the both and most importantly that HD800 was connected to a 5K dac/amp which certainly helped things.

I might be able to get the entire setup organised by end of next year but it is something to look forward too. I think it will stop me getting distracted and just focus on the rest of next year.

I think all of this hype about needing TOTL amplification is greatly overblown. If the amp is well enough designed and has adequate power for your needs there should be no need to spend big money. Power is power, as long as it is produced clean so I'm absolutely certain there are many capable and affordable amps that will produce very satisfying results with the 800S. Don't go nuts and take out a second mortage to power these, not at all needed IMO.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #5,409 of 6,504
Good Morning Fans of the 800S: My new headphone now has 150 hours on them and just yesterday here in Saigon I went to the HiFi show and walked out with the Chord 2Qute dac to power the Violectric V220 amp. Now the 2Qute is still burning in these next few days but the sound is so dynamic yet sweet. The only thing I don't like is the cheap Cardas cables I picked up. I will go back to the show today and get the Nordost cables for the dac to the amp. It's a sickness, I know now. Cheers.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #5,410 of 6,504
For instance, suppose you have a nice speaker amp already, but don't want to use the headphone jack if it has one. That can be a valid concern as most just stack resistors in the path. I escaped the need for a dedicated headamp years ago by having speaker tap cables made. I'm driving my HD800S right from my NAD M3 speaker terminals and it is glorious plain and simple. I doubt the Blue Hawaii would be better beyond sound signature preferences. I have used these speaker tap cables with the following headphones as well with perfect results: TH 900, TH 600, HE 560, HE 400i, Sony Z7, ZMF Vibro X, MT 220, LCD 2F so it works across the board.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #5,411 of 6,504
  Good Morning Fans of the 800S: My new headphone now has 150 hours on them and just yesterday here in Saigon I went to the HiFi show and walked out with the Chord 2Qute dac to power the Violectric V220 amp. Now the 2Qute is still burning in these next few days but the sound is so dynamic yet sweet. The only thing I don't like is the cheap Cardas cables I picked up. I will go back to the show today and get the Nordost cables for the dac to the amp. It's a sickness, I know now. Cheers.

Yes, but a sickness that you obviously can afford.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #5,412 of 6,504
Upcoming hdvd and HD800S. 

I have planned for it for an year because Sennheiser has planned to release the successor to the HDVD for an year.... Maybe the waiting game never stops :rolleyes:  

The HDVD800 is an excellent amp/dac combo and a very underrated one in the headfi community. I have never quite understood it honestly. I've owned it now for a couple year and love the synergy with 800.
I have an 800S incoming and I bet it will sing nicely with the HDVD800 as it has for years now with the original 800. I bet the only difference the new HDVD800 will have upgraded DSD capability.

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #5,413 of 6,504

Hello fellow HD800S owner))) I hope your love yours as well as I love mine, which I've had now for about 7 months.
I was in Saigon in 1970 when I was stationed in DaNang with the 1st Marine Division. Seems impossible to believe there's a HiFi show going on there right now. WOW 
o2smile.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #5,414 of 6,504
The HDVD800 is an excellent amp/dac combo and a very underrated one in the headfi community. I have never quite understood it honestly. I've owned it now for a couple year and love the synergy with 800.
I have an 800S incoming and I bet it will sing nicely with the HDVD800 as it has for years now with the original 800. I bet the only difference the new HDVD800 will have upgraded DSD capability.

I used to have both HD800 and HDVD800. I've since then upgraded to the HD800S and Cayin iDAC-6/iHA-6. 

It's clear from comparison that the iDAC-6 is way head of the HDVD800's dac in terms of detail and transparency throughout the entire frequency range.

The HDVD800's amp is however a great pairing for the HD800/S i feel. It's like they put all their efforts on the amp and the dac was slammed onto it at the last moment. It's clearly not a technical wonder like the headphones it's been designed to use it.

So, i sincerely hope that you're wrong in your guess, that the HDVD820 will only have added DSD capability. In fact, i'm pretty sure that with the delays on the HDVD820, there's going to be some sound improvements.

EDIT: Oh, and please let us know your thoughts on the HD800 vs HD800S on the HDVD800. Not many people have had a chance to compare them side-by-side on the HDVD800. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #5,415 of 6,504
  Hello fellow HD800S owner))) I hope your love yours as well as I love mine, which I've had now for about 7 months.
I was in Saigon in 1970 when I was stationed in DaNang with the 1st Marine Division. Seems impossible to believe there's a HiFi show going on there right now. WOW 
o2smile.gif

1970 was the year our family moved from Taiwan to LA where I grew up. Pctazhp: If you could have been there at the Hotel Majestic right there by the Saigon River same as back in the days when you where there, I mean, it will take two stout Marines to lift those mono block amps I saw in just about every room at the hotel. Now the head fi side was very tiny. The HUGE amps and HUGE speakers made up about 80% of the show. This once a year event amazed even me. Cheers friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back