Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Sep 16, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #5,386 of 6,504
Thanks for the info...but it's the form factor, portability, etc. along with the reviews and pricing that has me considering the Mojo.

If I decide to leap into the next tier of tabletop Dacs, it'll most likely be the Yggy.

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #5,387 of 6,504
Received my HD800S today, tried it with the only amp I have on hand which is the Apogee Groove.  Groove can power it no problem.  Detail is amazing, soundstage is amazing, still a tad on the bright side vs the HD650(Expected).  I have the Gungnir/Mjolnir 2 coming next week and I'll do another test with that.  Overall, enjoying it very much.

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #5,388 of 6,504
  Received my HD800S today, tried it with the only amp I have on hand which is the Apogee Groove.  Groove can power it no problem.  Detail is amazing, soundstage is amazing, still a tad on the bright side vs the HD650(Expected).  I have the Gungnir/Mjolnir 2 coming next week and I'll do another test with that.  Overall, enjoying it very much.

Get some good tubes. The stock tubes will be the weak link in your chain.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #5,389 of 6,504
So I guess I am a new owner of a HD800s, just went out to buy a power bank and walked out getting a HD800s, problem is well I have no desktop gears, nothing worthy of HD800. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #5,390 of 6,504
So I guess I am a new owner of a HD800s, just went out to buy a power bank and walked out getting a HD800s, problem is well I have no desktop gears, nothing worthy of HD800. 

Time to go buy another power bank, then! :)

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #5,391 of 6,504

lol, people just go and buy HD800's regularly while shopping for power bank... It's not a bad thing at all 
wink.gif
 I'm just bit jealous(?) 

I have planned almost year now the total setup i will be buying (including cables etc.)  I must confess that my setup is around 4000€, but still... People buy Beats as an "impulse buy". Congrats of your new born baby anyway. Just make sure to feed it right to make her strong. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #5,392 of 6,504
Im about 12 hours into my new HD800S, have been listening them for 6 hours.  I am enjoying them more and more.  They are so great to watch TV/Movie as well.  They are also GORGEOUS!! The build quality and the black paint finish is incredibly high quality while being extremely light and oh my god are they comfortable.

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #5,393 of 6,504
  lol, people just go and buy HD800's regularly while shopping for power bank... It's not a bad thing at all 
wink.gif
 I'm just bit jealous(?) 

I have planned almost year now the total setup i will be buying (including cables etc.)  I must confess that my setup is around 4000€, but still... People buy Beats as an "impulse buy". Congrats of your new born baby anyway. Just make sure to feed it right to make her strong. 
smily_headphones1.gif

It is safe to say once I came back home buyers remorse and worst dealing with explaining on why I just purchased another headphone just a day after I paid off my credit card kicked in. Part of the reason why I avoided the HD800 was how much they scaled up or better say how much they need to sound their best.
I am just googling on various amp for HD800s, part of me wants to return it and leave the dark side but the other part knows I want to stay in the dark side. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #5,394 of 6,504
  Im about 12 hours into my new HD800S, have been listening them for 6 hours.  I am enjoying them more and more.  They are so great to watch TV/Movie as well.  They are also GORGEOUS!! The build quality and the black paint finish is incredibly high quality while being extremely light and oh my god are they comfortable.

How do you like the silver dragon cable (i assume its xlr) over the sennheiser xlr cable with your schiit combo? From what i've read about your gear it should sound more bright then neutral especially with the cable. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #5,395 of 6,504

How do you like the silver dragon cable (i assume its xlr) over the original xlr with your schiit combo? From what i've read about your gear it should sound more bright then neutral especially with the cable. 

It is not the XLR version...I kinda goof'd up on that part but for such an expensive cable I wanted to use it more than just with balanced Amps.  I haven't really A/B'd it yet I just received all my stuff so after a few days when I can make a more accurate impression I will report back.

As for the cable itself, it is such quality.  The price is a bit scary but....it is such quality.  On top of that, I wanted a cable that was a resonable length, however if during the A/B the XLR cable does sound better, I might just pick up another one via XLR.  However I don't think a balanced XLR4 Silver Dragon exists?

edit:  Does a balanced XLR4 silver dragon for the HD800S exist?

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #5,396 of 6,504
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However I don't think a balanced XLR4 Silver Dragon exists?

Of course it does...just specify XLR4 when you order the cable

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #5,397 of 6,504

Originally Posted by Fruit Cake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However I don't think a balanced XLR4 Silver Dragon exists?

Of course it does...just specify XLR4 when you order the cable

Sorry if this is a stupid question as I'm still very noob to the head-fi world....

would it be a balanced?  moon-audio's website did not specify.  I thought XLR4 was simply just a connection type and it could either be balanced or not...

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #5,399 of 6,504
  It is safe to say once I came back home buyers remorse and worst dealing with explaining on why I just purchased another headphone just a day after I paid off my credit card kicked in. Part of the reason why I avoided the HD800 was how much they scaled up or better say how much they need to sound their best.
I am just googling on various amp for HD800s, part of me wants to return it and leave the dark side but the other part knows I want to stay in the dark side. 

Even when i have planned the total setup for an year. I still sometimes think "are they really worth the money" and every time i hear the HD800/HD800S i immediately think "yes. every penny"
And you are right. The HD800 does need a quite an setup to shine. Even in the S-version i am planning to buy AMP/DAC setup that is around 600-1000€ over the headphone price.

Really seriously if you just paid off your credit card and second day you went to shop and buyed 1000$+ headphones? One way i avoid this is from the ground up decided that the HD800S would be only "summit-fi" headphone i buy. Period. Good think though i don't even have an credit card and not planning to get one.... for obvious reasons in this hobby. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #5,400 of 6,504
When I listen to the Chord Dave + Taurus MKII (balanced) + HD 800 S and then listen to a $250k speaker setup, it is worth every penny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back