Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Apr 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #4,216 of 6,504
  I received my HD-800S, but I don't see any sealing unlike IE800. Is it normal? Is there any way for me to check whether it is not opened by a seller or not a returned item? Given this price tag, I thought it should come with a package with pristine sealing...

This has bothered me as well. Maybe someone can explain why they don't put factory-seal outside of the box? 

Also, can you tell us do you have black or silver coating in the end of the amp-side? Also serial number would be helpfull aswell.

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #4,219 of 6,504
If I drop 1600$ In a pair of headphones, I would asume it becomes "luxury" - item. And with that i would expect that before I reseive them the last person touching them would be at the Sennheiser factory when they put it inside the box. If you buy luxury watch (say like rolex) the dealer doesnt wear the watch couple of days before selling it to you. There might be good reason why they dont seal it, I would like to know the reason

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #4,220 of 6,504
If I drop 1600$ In a pair of headphones, I would asume it becomes "luxury" - item. And with that i would expect that before I reseive them the last person touching them would be at the Sennheiser factory when they put it inside the box. If you buy luxury watch (say like rolex) the dealer doesnt wear the watch couple of days before selling it to you. There might be good reason why they dont seal it, I would like to know the reason

Oh heck to the no!

For me, I fully expect my 800S's to have been taken out of the box, inspected, and tested at the shop before they are shipped to me. It is a luxury item, and I expect full and complete services. True, I don't want the watch dealer to get his sweaty arms on my Rolex, but I expect him to inspect every millimeter of the watch for scratches and imperfections. I also don't expect them to kick out the jams with my Senns. But I expect them to be tested.

Which is exactly what my dealer did, and they will be here Wednesday :)

But that's just me...

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #4,221 of 6,504

Of the hifi gear I owned I never came across any that comes in a factory sealed box. In fact most come in cheap ugly cardboard boxes with at most a sticker or the company logo printed on it. And many of these gear cost significantly more than the HD800S. Checkout this recent post (not mine) of a B&W 803 D3 being unboxed:
https://www.facebook.com/TONEPUB2/posts/1128547630518379

Feel better?

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #4,224 of 6,504
FYI, the B&W 803 D3 costs $17000.

In fact, I don't care at this point because I am returning this. I found a much better deal and already reordered it from a different dealer. Now, I am curious whether my returned item will be sold as refurbished or a brand NEW item. I am pretty much sure that one cannot distinguish it from brand new one. And I do see a non-negligible chance that perverse incentive comes into play.

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #4,225 of 6,504
In fact, I don't care at this point because I am returning this. I found a much better deal and already reordered it from a different dealer. Now, I am curious whether my returned item will be sold as refurbished or a brand NEW item. I am pretty much sure that one cannot distinguish it from brand new one. And I do see a non-negligible chance that perverse incentive comes into play.

Ohhhh...that 15% restocking fee will hurt! :wink:

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #4,226 of 6,504
I don't remember having any seal on mine, so I doubt your second one will come sealed.

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #4,227 of 6,504
Ohhhh...that 15% restocking fee will hurt!
wink.gif

Already ensured that there will be no stocking fee 
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #4,229 of 6,504
I can empathize with the desire to want such an item to be factory sealed in a way where you know this wasn't a returned or tampered item.

It's a lot of dough for a lot of people, myself included, being a financially independent 24 year old it was one of the bigger "luxury" purchases I've made and took a lot of budgeting to make a reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back