Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Apr 7, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #4,156 of 6,504
Nice win!

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #4,158 of 6,504
  I recently entered a competition in my local hifi store and as luck would have it, won the HD 800 S.

I previously had the original HD800 as my reference set, so i was very eager to try the new one. Now as great as the 800 is, in all honesty i felt the spike in the treble killed it for me. I could hear how finely textured the treble was, but it never sounded right to me. It ended up being distracting and causing fatigue.

Enter the S. Good lord. I literally can´t stop smiling. This thing is absolutely fantastic. It takes everything that made the hd800 world class and fixes the problems i had. 

Congrats! And good review. Question: Do you have any comments with the T1 2nd Gen vs the HD800S?

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #4,159 of 6,504
T1 2nd Gen vs the HD800S?

I have owned the T1 first version for a couple of years. Friend of mine bought the 2nd gen, so i can give you some comments on how it sounds. In all honesty. HD 800 S is playing a whole different game. It is much better in all aspects. (Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, on my system.) The T1 is a good headphone, but it does not stand a chance. Only thing that T1 did better than HD800 was the bass and that has been fixed now with the S. 

Now given that the T1 2gen can be had significantly cheaper than HD800 S. It's a tough call...

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #4,160 of 6,504
Thanks! I was thinking about the T1-2 while the price and supply settled a bit with the HD800S. I'm curious about the T1-2, looks like a nice HP, but still not convinced it's worth the $1000. Sounds like it's a better idea to go straight to the HD800S!

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #4,161 of 6,504
  Thanks! I was thinking about the T1-2 while the price and supply settled a bit with the HD800S. I'm curious about the T1-2, looks like a nice HP, but still not convinced it's worth the $1000. Sounds like it's a better idea to go straight to the HD800S!

If you have the money, the HD 800 S have my recommendation. Beyer T1 is a great headphone. It does so much so well. It's downfall is the treble, which i find just wrong sounding. Too strident. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #4,163 of 6,504
Congratulations, you hit the jackpot!

If only that would happen more often
wink_face.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #4,164 of 6,504

I owned the T1-2 but sold it to finance my impulse purchase of the HD800S. I've now had my S for several days. Based SOLELY on my very preliminary, personal experience, I would not necessarily assume the S is superior to the T1-2. My very initial impression (which is based on my memory of the Beyer) is that the S has a more "relaxed" sound. The Beyer is more lively and more emotionally involving. It's bass impact is clearly superior to the S. The treble of the Beyer did not bother me at all. 

I'm going to live with the S for a while, and then decide whether to sell it and buy another T1 or stay with the S. I don't like switching headphones so I won't own both, even if my budget permitted that.

Bottom line, I think it is best, if at all possible, to try both. Seems to me it comes down to personal preferences. Both are first class headphones.

Oh, and by the way, I do think that the T1-2 is worth $1000.

I hope this helps a little.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #4,165 of 6,504
  Bottom line, I think it is best, if at all possible, to try both. Seems to me it comes down to personal preferences. Both are first class headphones.

Oh, and by the way, I do think that the T1-2 is worth $1000.

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks. It does help. Good advice.
I thought I would probably have both eventually, and I do appreciate different sound profiles, but I didn't want to waste a $1000 if the T1-2s didn't have their own musical integrity.
I'll have to track down a pair to listen to.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #4,166 of 6,504
  Thanks. It does help. Good advice.
I thought I would probably have both eventually, and I do appreciate different sound profiles, but I didn't want to waste a $1000 if the T1-2s didn't have their own musical integrity.
I'll have to track down a pair to listen to.

You should be in audio heaven with either one - but two heavens are always better than one)))

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #4,167 of 6,504
And...out of left field. The treble spike thing is not really an issue to me on either of the Gen 1 Senns or the Beyers. So for me, the Gen 1 HD800 and T1 are very good purchases ($999 & $629 respectively) that saved me enough coin to get the Schiit Bifrost MB and Valhalla 2 at the same time. Think it really boils down to your preferences.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #4,168 of 6,504
And...out of left field. The treble spike thing is not really an issue to me on either of the Gen 1 Senns or the Beyers. So for me, the Gen 1 HD800 and T1 are very good purchases ($999 & $629 respectively) that saved me enough coin to get the Schiit Bifrost MB and Valhalla 2 at the same time. Think it really boils down to your preferences.

And those prices are tempting indeed. For me, nothing is more annoying than having equipment that you don't like, so I tend to hesitate. Have to learn to sell things!
And, I need to find a venue where I can hear these units for myself. OTOH, I have purchased a Schiit load of Schiit gear without a first listen and have never regretted any of those purchases! :)
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back