Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Mar 10, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #3,706 of 6,505
  Your assessment of gearslutz is more or less right. However, there's quite a lot of talk regarding monitors there. However, all the talk about monitors is geared more for studio monitoring and might differ from what you're looking for in a hi-fi environment.

If monitors are in fact what you're looking for. Let me save you some time and recommend the Amphion One15 or One18 passive monitors. Also, look for the Amphion Beautiful thread on gearslutz. They're expensive. However, offer bang for the buck compared to other monitors of equal or greater prices,

LOL, I was just about to post the same thing as an afterthought! Amphions do indeed seem to be le dernier cri if, unlike me, you're not restricted to active monitors in your choice for whatever reasons. Could just be the latest hype, but at least as far as I can see, most of those who bought them have not sold them right away as of yet. Also, JBL LSR 305 and 308 are apparently a solid budget alternative.
Sadly, the Head-Fi of the speaker realm does not seem to exist; however, we should probably resist the temptation to derail this thread any further and take it to PM if further discussion is desired.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #3,707 of 6,505

I am also considering monitors and likely later speakers. But just couldn't find a good forum for info. Genelec might provide good sound, but its appearance is just not my cup of tea. Neumann H?120 might be good too, but its 5 inch woofer is a tad small to me. Geithain I have no idea about. Adams, JBL, etc are also under my radar. But just couldn't find a good monitor/speaker forum for reviews and discussions.

AVS has a pretty good forum for speakers. 

What's your budget? The new(ish) JBL 7 series is based on their M2 Master Reference Monitor, which, according to Sean Olive, had the best measurements of any speaker he'd ever measured. Supposedly, the off-axis performance was about as good as it gets. From my own experience, I'd also recommend Legacy's Studio HD Monitors; High efficiency, low distortion goodness. For a bit more, and if you care about looks or want traditional bookshelf speakers, I'd recommend anything by Salk. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #3,708 of 6,505
Guys, probably take it to another thread or PM's or something. Seems like it's getting quite off-topic here. Just saying. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #3,709 of 6,505
mmm......BTT, for HD 800 S owners, how is yours faring? Scratches yet? One pet peeve of mine is how the HD 800 gets easily chipped specially when removing the connectors off the cups. So far, my 800 S is still chip-free. Better material?

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #3,710 of 6,505
Hi guys, I’m a very happy owner of a new Sennheiser HD 800 S.

I have learned a lot about audio thanks to you guys and I would like to return the favor.
I made an unboxing video in 4K if you want to have a closer look at the HD 800 S.

Enjoy! https://goo.gl/kOOdrQ

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #3,711 of 6,505
mmm......BTT, for HD 800 S owners, how is yours faring? Scratches yet? One pet peeve of mine is how the HD 800 gets easily chipped specially when removing the connectors off the cups. So far, my 800 S is still chip-free. Better material?

Maybe it's not painted at all, but the original color of the material. So it cannot chip, only get scratched.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #3,712 of 6,505
Maybe it's not painted at all, but the original color of the material. So it cannot chip, only get scratched.

My original HD800s were with me for just over 5 years and I only had one small chip (my fault). My HD800S are flawless since I've had them (since December).

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #3,713 of 6,505
Hmm... is it more about hi-fi or mixing-mastering...etc (rarely discussed 'together')
Sure there are some, also pro level, monitors, what could be used as 'home' audio main speakers too (mainly not below several thousand USD, because so called home audio must have decent i.e. 'multimedia level' bass too. Typically cheaper monitors are mainly focused on the 'most-important for mixing' middle FR. Pro level 'deep-bass mixing/mastering' capable monitors are quite expensive)

thinking, that google search can help too, if to 'feed' it with 'right theme, terms etc'

According to my ears (and body), nothing beats high end reference loudspeakers. It's not multi media bass, it is bass like how it sounds live.

Some studios also have loudspeakers in their rooms.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #3,714 of 6,505

My original HD800s were with me for just over 5 years and I only had one small chip (my fault). My HD800S are flawless since I've had them (since December).

I pre-ordered my HD800 with Headroom and received #666.  After 2 pad changes, everything else is like new.
Have changed the cables many times.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #3,715 of 6,505
Thanks very much for all your kind suggestions regarding monitors/speakers. I much appreciate your opinions. Let's stop here to prevent further derailing the thread. I do think Head-Fi should add a sub-forum for monitor/speaker-related discussions though. 

Going back to H800S, it is sitting on my watching list. Expecting an upgraded HD800 with the HD650 signature, hopefully HD800S can be it, or should we wait for HD850...lol  

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #3,716 of 6,505
If you think you will live forever, id say wait. Enjoy

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #3,717 of 6,505
Man...I'm in such a dilemma! Need an amp for my HD800s and want an HDVD 800. Either buy the current one and or wait for the new one for who knows how long...tried a few amps today and the HDVD just sings to my ears...

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #3,718 of 6,505
Man...I'm in such a dilemma! Need an amp for my HD800s and want an HDVD 800. Either buy the current one and or wait for the new one for who knows how long...tried a few amps today and the HDVD just sings to my ears...

try a Chord Mojo with it too and see if that sings to your ears.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #3,719 of 6,505
I got mine connected to a iCAN SE with Yggy dac. It's absolutely astounding. Better than through my Taurus MKII, which I'm sure many will find hard to believe.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #3,720 of 6,505

Yeah, you can read about it but better to visit a local Sam Goody.  There you most likely will have a room with all the active monitors setup for easy comparison.
It was in the NYC Time Square Sam Goody I found my Genelec 8050 years ago.  Sounds awesome with decent source.  Truly epic with balanced outs.

Hasn't Sam Goody's been out of business for a decade or so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back