Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 29, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #2,971 of 6,504
... What would the HE 6 bring to the table that the HD 800 doesn't?  

That's a tough question to answer. A lot depends on how you mod the HE6. I have the latest mods, but am still having some issue with the treble going a little 'steely' and 'glassy'. I will re-apply a little of the fuzor mod and see if that helps.

The modded HE6, when powered well, has a visceral quality that is hard to describe. Bass and mids are stunning - just a treble issue that probably has more to do with my modding than the headphone.

With the HD800S paired with the V281, the results are excellent. The modded HE6 takes this a step further, if only I can fix the treble issue.

I got my repaired modded HD800 back yesterday, so can compare the modded HD800 and HD800S from the V281. That will be fun.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #2,972 of 6,504
[...] I got my repaired modded HD800 back yesterday, so can compare the modded HD800 and HD800S from the V281. That will be fun.

Good to hear about Your repaired HD800 (was Your HD800(before repairs) 'newer' or 'older' version? Did repair changed both drivers for 'new' version?
Sure, waiting your comparisons and impressions... .

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #2,973 of 6,504

Good to hear about Your repaired HD800 (was Your HD800(before repairs) 'newer' or 'older' version? Did repair changed both drivers for 'new' version?
Sure, waiting your comparisons and impressions... .

It is the new version, I think. S/N 26572.

The drivers were OK. The repair folks checked it out thoroughly, but there was no damage from my amp failure. The damage was to my right ear (I was wearing them when the amp went BANG in the right channel). Anyway, the headphones are fine and my hearing has recovered, so all good.

I only have one set of HD800 XLR connectors, so I can't switch quickly between HD800/HD800S, so any comments I have will have to be taken with some caution as a result. I find my audio memory is very momentary and not 100% reliable. Best scenarios have you able to instantly (or near instantly) swap between gear.

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #2,974 of 6,504
Has anyone tried the HD800S with the Senn amp? 

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #2,975 of 6,504

It is the new version, I think. S/N 26572.

The drivers were OK. The repair folks checked it out thoroughly, but there was no damage from my amp failure. The damage was to my right ear (I was wearing them when the amp went BANG in the right channel). Anyway, the headphones are fine and my hearing has recovered, so all good.

I only have one set of HD800 XLR connectors, so I can't switch quickly between HD800/HD800S, so any comments I have will have to be taken with some caution as a result. I find my audio memory is very momentary and not 100% reliable. Best scenarios have you able to instantly (or near instantly) swap between gear.

Yes, number shows it's 'new' version (with little stronger bass and maybe somehow sharper sound). It seems that Sennheiser HD800(S) in quite durable (considering amp 'blow-out').
Short-term listening comparison is easier, but some more experienced tester prefer long-term listening comparisons ('cumulative' impression, connected with some-kind 'feeling-memories')

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #2,976 of 6,504

That's a tough question to answer. A lot depends on how you mod the HE6. I have the latest mods, but am still having some issue with the treble going a little 'steely' and 'glassy'. I will re-apply a little of the fuzor mod and see if that helps.

The modded HE6, when powered well, has a visceral quality that is hard to describe. Bass and mids are stunning - just a treble issue that probably has more to do with my modding than the headphone.

With the HD800S paired with the V281, the results are excellent. The modded HE6 takes this a step further, if only I can fix the treble issue.

I got my repaired modded HD800 back yesterday, so can compare the modded HD800 and HD800S from the V281. That will be fun.

Waiting to read your results.  It will help me decide whether or not I want to invest in the S or stick with my Classic.  As I mentioned earlier the V281 brings out the very best in my Classic.  I just can't imagine it getting much better.  So are you saying the HE-6's bass and mids are better than the 800 but that it has a treble problem too, even on the Violectric?.  Doesn't sound like much of a step up.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #2,977 of 6,504
...So are you saying the HE-6's bass and mids are better than the 800 but that it has a treble problem too, even on the Violectric?.  Doesn't sound like much of a step up.

In my case, yes. Other folks don't get this. I think I need to tweak the mod some more on my HE6.

I will put some serious head time into the HD800C and HD800S tomorrow and report back into this thread. I will run both from the balanced output on the V281 - doesn't seem much point using the single ended output for the HD800C/S as the balanced output is so much better for either headphone.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #2,978 of 6,504
In my case, yes. Other folks don't get this. I think I need to tweak the mod some more on my HE6.

I will put some serious head time into the HD800C and HD800S tomorrow and report back into this thread. I will run both from the balanced output on the V281 - doesn't seem much point using the single ended output for the HD800C/S as the balanced output is so much better for either headphone.

I agree with this- but the he6 also has different versions. I was using the preorder one for very Long and despite what anyone said, I could never remove the cotton behind the driver. Way too trebly. But that is like a five year old pair. Recently I replaced it with a newer pair. Warmer, less trebly, I immediately removed everything and went nude grilling with no issues. The pairs are physically different- my older one had no plastic ring around the wooden housing, and four screws not six. So hifiman did some improvements along the way. The blutack mod was mandatory on my original pair, since I didn't have the plastic ring, and didn't have as big an impact on the newer set either.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #2,979 of 6,504
I agree with this- but the he6 also has different versions. I was using the preorder one for very Long and despite what anyone said, I could never remove the cotton behind the driver. Way too trebly. But that is like a five year old pair. Recently I replaced it with a newer pair. Warmer, less trebly, I immediately removed everything and went nude grilling with no issues. The pairs are physically different- my older one had no plastic ring around the wooden housing, and four screws not six. So hifiman did some improvements along the way. The blutack mod was mandatory on my original pair, since I didn't have the plastic ring, and didn't have as big an impact on the newer set either.

Mine has 6 screws and is about 3 years old. Blutak mod a necessity. Performance wise I am finding the HD800S performing so well with the V281 that I am struggling to bother with tweaking the HE6 mods (again). I'll get around to it eventually.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #2,981 of 6,504
  I had the old hd800.I thougt they were too bright and got tired in my ears while listening to them. How are the hd800S?   Are they warmer sounding/more bass?

I think it does what you're asking - no longer as bright and fatiguing.
As far as your other statements though, I hesitate to agree.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #2,983 of 6,504
  I think it does what you're asking - no longer as bright and fatiguing.
As far as your other statements though, I hesitate to agree.

Tnx for the answer.What i did like about the hd800,was the soundstage and all the details.I just bougt the fidelio x2,an like the warm sound of it.But i would like bigger soundstage an more micro details.I`d hope the HD800S could be an end game headphone for me.At least for many years. :p

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #2,985 of 6,504
Wow. These headphones are incredible. I can hear the difference between a cheap RCA cable and a high-end RCA cable. 5 minutes ago I thought high-end cables was a bunch of non-sense and that there is no difference in cable quality. These headphones can detect what is in the chain, including the cable. 

Unfortunately these cables aren't mine so I have to return them later this week. I can't believe I will buy high-end cables which is something I was against doing :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back