Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 1, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,176 of 6,504
So can somebody point to us a real frequency curve from their HD800s please..

a lot posted were really bad but others actually say the curve is to my preference. FLAT

and headphone shouldnt care about the fletcher munson curve.. it's the guy behind the mixing\mastering job to create a dip so the music stay balanced on any FLAT system..

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,177 of 6,504

a lot posted were really bad but others actually say the curve is to my preference. FLAT

and headphone shouldnt care about the fletcher munson curve.. it's the guy behind the mixing\mastering job to create a dip so the music stay balanced on any FLAT system..

Im not sure exactly what you are asking but I can tell you, to my ears, the HD800S sound completely neutral. Everything sounds correct and balanced across the frequency response. I've had about 7 hours listening over several days with a variety of music and I can't fault them . Very accurate and balanced to these ears.

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,178 of 6,504
Im not sure exactly what you are asking but I can tell you, to my ears, the HD800S sound completely neutral. Everything sounds correct and balanced across the frequency response. I've had about 7 hours listening over several days with a variety of music and I can't fault them . Very accurate and balanced to these ears.

Would agree to that, wholeheartedly. One of the most neutral and natural sounding headphone in my ears. I find the AKG K70x similar from the FR even though these feel more tinny and artificial to me. But as @plakat said you might want to read those plots with healthy amount of caution. Especially if your compare measurements from different sources (i.e. Headroom and GoldenEars).

The only slight "flaw" in my opinion is the absolute low end (sub bass, below ~35 Hz) that could have tad more emphasis for my liking. Probably also depends on the genre of music. Everything else is stellar for me and I am suprpised how much I love its highs. 
dt880smile.png

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #2,179 of 6,504

Except it isn't.

When listening to speakers, the ears and upper body naturally create the expected upper-midrange gain. With headphones this is absent so it is necessary for the headphone response to compensate. That is why very few if any headphones have flat response.

Equal-loudness contours like ISO 226:2003 show the dip because they were created with headphones.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #2,180 of 6,504
The HD800S I have still has a 6.5khz peak if I do frequency sweeps with Sine waves. 

If I play notes when the HD800S is in my Access Virus TI synthesizer, every note seems of equal strenght. But not sure if every single note covers the entire frequency range like when doing a full sweep with a size wave.

Does the 6k region still have resonance characteristic? When I run through frequency sweeps with HD 800 there are regions where I hear ringing. My pair though are without dust screen so this could contribute to ringing. Perhaps HD 800 S will remove 6k peak without negatives of my mods as it will retain the dust screen.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,181 of 6,504
can, both of you, HD800S owners, post your headphone freq curve no smooting for both Left and right channel..

:wink: 

I didnt like one of the posted HD800 curve at all with big shallow drop starting at 2-3k and big raise at 8kz...

i'm looking for flat from 50-60 to 10khz and from there a natural drop or some peeks if impossible but 

and if it has to drop it has to be in -2-4db max from flat and in the 5-6k region following the munson curve....

also no up peak either, perfect decay (csd), need very good square wav reproduction at 30hz 40hz, 50hz and 300hz) and i love the weight of hd800s and angled drivers.. it will play in my decision between the Hifiman HEX, the stax sr-ls700 and the Hd800s...

anybody have measured the HD800s Square wave (impulse) / and CSD? :wink:

from my understanding of the science between the technologies of the drivers and tuning and some comments on the sound

my guess 

best for CSD and impulse, transient = LS700, Hifiman hex
best for Square wav = LS700, hifiman Hex
best for low square wav = hifiman Hex
best for bass = hifiman Hex.. 
best for bass extension = Hifiman Hex,HD800S second, 
comfort HD800S, hifiman Hex 2nd(little too heavy for me)
imaging HD800S, Hifiman Hex (LS700 not sure)
Mid Resolution = LS700, hifiman Hex
High Resolution = HD800S first, LS700 2nd
Distortion = LS700, hifiman Hex
linear Freq curve??? this i cant guess but ill try to compare some freq graph

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #2,182 of 6,504

Here's mine...no peak at 6kHz (or anywhere), plus a bit more punch down low

For me, while I really liked the originals, they eventually moved to the back burner a bit and limited to certain genres. But with the improved bass response and the tamed treble they are now quickly becoming one of my favourite headphones. Seriously, it's really hard to put them down now. They've retained all the goodness from the originals and "fixed" the issues I had previously.

I can't seem to find my original measurements (I've since sold my original HD800 headphones), but there was a definite peak at 6kHz for that graph.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,184 of 6,504

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Mine are in transit - should have them next week (depending on the amount of delay I get with customs).

Congrats! So far, I'm very happy with them!

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #2,185 of 6,504
  ... Too sad it seems that they taking away the peak at 6khz means taking away the treble energy
redface.gif

Taking away the peak makes for a more natural sound reproduction –but hey, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

In fact though, the peak is not actually removed completely –it is simply reduced in amplitude by the Helmholtz resonator
(which in this case is acting as a partial absorber at the appropriate frequency).

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #2,186 of 6,504

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #2,188 of 6,504
  Here's mine...no peak at 6kHz (or anywhere), plus a bit more punch down low

-snip-

For me, while I really liked the originals, they eventually moved to the back burner a bit and limited to certain genres. But with the improved bass response and the tamed treble they are now quickly becoming one of my favourite headphones. Seriously, it's really hard to put them down now. They've retained all the goodness from the originals and "fixed" the issues I had previously.

I can't seem to find my original measurements (I've since sold my original HD800 headphones), but there was a definite peak at 6kHz for that graph.

Sennheiser's curves never show a significant peak because they do not depict the absolute frequency response as recorded by whatever measurement system they use; rather, this curve shows the deviation from a defined target, and thus it looks "flat". As there is no indication what the defined target actually is, these graphs are useful only in comparing HD800s to each other.

Look at any of the raw measurements out there - innerfidelity, goldenears, headroom, etc, - and you will see an obvious elevated response from the upper mid-range through the mid-treble, complete with 6kHz peak.

can, both of you, HD800S owners, post your headphone freq curve no smooting for both Left and right channel..

:wink: 

I didnt like one of the posted HD800 curve at all with big shallow drop starting at 2-3k and big raise at 8kz...

i'm looking for flat from 50-60 to 10khz and from there a natural drop or some peeks if impossible but 

and if it has to drop it has to be in -2-4db max from flat and in the 5-6k region following the munson curve....

also no up peak either, perfect decay (csd), need very good square wav reproduction at 30hz 40hz, 50hz and 300hz) and i love the weight of hd800s and angled drivers.. it will play in my decision between the Hifiman HEX, the stax sr-ls700 and the Hd800s...

anybody have measured the HD800s Square wave (impulse) / and CSD? :wink:

from my understanding of the science between the technologies of the drivers and tuning and some comments on the sound

my guess 

best for CSD and impulse, transient = LS700, Hifiman hex
best for Square wav = LS700, hifiman Hex
best for low square wav = hifiman Hex
best for bass = hifiman Hex.. 
best for bass extension = Hifiman Hex,HD800S second, 
comfort HD800S, hifiman Hex 2nd(little too heavy for me)
imaging HD800S, Hifiman Hex (LS700 not sure)
Mid Resolution = LS700, hifiman Hex
High Resolution = HD800S first, LS700 2nd
Distortion = LS700, hifiman Hex
linear Freq curve??? this i cant guess but ill try to compare some freq graph

I think you should be cautious of allowing a measurement, especially a particular category of measurement like square wave, significantly inform a purchasing decision. The "best" graph isn't necessarily going to correspond to the best sound - or the sound you like the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back