Sennheiser HD800 with ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX?
Mar 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #61 of 118
Well, the STX is the best sound card in the milky way...many websites say so, I believe them. Why don't you?

$2.25 can get you a long way nowadays, it's a true bargain: Headphone Amplifiers - TPA6120A2 - TI.com
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your impressions justmoon. This is what I've been saying for months now. Very glad to hear you're enjoying their synergy.

It may take some time, but eventually people will learn to let go of their preconceived notions as to what audiophile sounds cards can and can't do.

oh right, you're always such a good adviser
biggrin.gif

ppl need to use $2 IC's on a nasty ATX PSU, in a highly EMI polluted environment, w/ resampling drivers...is that my "preconceived notions" speaking? haha.

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #62 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the STX is the best sound card in the milky way...many websites say so, I believe them. Why don't you?

$2.25 can get you a long way nowadays, it's a true bargain: Headphone Amplifiers - TPA6120A2 - TI.com

oh right, you're always such a good adviser
biggrin.gif

ppl need to use $2 IC's on a nasty ATX PSU, in a highly EMI polluted environment, w/ resampling drivers...is that my "preconceived notions" speaking? haha.

So, in your warped logic a $2000 tube amp is no good because it uses $200 tubes?

you're a joke that has ceased to be funny anymore. lol

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #63 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, in your warped logic a $2000 tube amp is no good because it uses $200 tubes?

you're a joke that has ceased to be funny anymore. lol

Well a soundcard may be great as a digital output, as a DAC, but as an headphone amp...
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #64 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edoardo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well a soundcard may be great as a digital output, as a DAC, but as an headphone amp...
confused_face_2.gif

I have never heard HD800 or this soundcard, but i have read alot of officials expert reviews online and everyone praise this card and especially with use of HP because of its amp, but then aigain i have not heard it...yet

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #65 of 118
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

hehe, the STX has a lot of clowny fanboys...you'll find out soon enough
wink.gif

we all need 124dB SNR, it's all that matters! because wee likes it loud!

iXBT Labs - ASUS Xonar D2 Sound Card
Quote:

ASUS apparently fights Creative with the same marketing weapon - high SNR. Measured in the standard de factor, Audio Precision, the ASUS D2 demonstrates 118 dBA, while the Creative Elite Pro offers 116 dBA. In fact, SNR values above -100 dBA do not make practical sense. Such values are lower than quantization noise power of a 16 bit signal with TPDF (Triangular Probability Density Function). As no one has complained about noises in AudioCDs yet, high SNR for audio playback is overkill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audi4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have read alot of officials expert reviews online and everyone praise this card

bribed self-proclaimed experts you mean? the stereophile guy is the most snobbish hifi dude in history, how much does it cost to buy his magazine cover in your opinion?

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #66 of 118
I don't think stereophile's guys are snobbish or corrupted, maybe that STX is a great value-for-money DAC, but who says that an amplification circuit fed by a PCI card and smaller than the 1/4" jack of the headphones he would like to drive drives them even decently???

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #67 of 118
I dont know how do you define audiophile or high end gear, i dont know what kind of sound do you get from your high end system but to my ears, the HD800 out of the headphone output of the STX sounds pretty good. HD800 +STX amp give me at least 70-75% (if we have to use number to mesure music enjoyment) of what a CDP + SPL Auditor are capable of. I'm sure many people posting here didnt try the STX but already give negative jugement about it.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #68 of 118
Kinda getting sick of your mindless post leeperry. From STX, to HD2 to Spitfire now.

Every time you get a new item, you will bash the previous one mindlessly. You opinion for me is useless now, I still remember how much you praise the STX and HD2, and now bashing them like crazy.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #70 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda getting sick of your mindless post leeperry. From STX, to HD2 to Spitfire now.

Every time you get a new item, you will bash the previous one mindlessly. You opinion for me is useless now, I still remember how much you praise the STX and HD2, and now bashing them like crazy.

I couldnt agree more.

I have read alot latly in threads regarding the Asus xonar essence ST/STX, and have exatly the same opinion as you

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #71 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time you get a new item, you will bash the previous one mindlessly.

yes, they both kill the STX like you have NO idea...keep playing around with your soundblaster, I couldn't care less
biggrin.gif

each upgrade makes the previous one meaningless, that's how hifi works.

to get back to the OP(because I'm not here to babysit audiophile wannabes), using an HD800 on a $2.25 IC digitis amplifier is beyond "mindless", it'd need a new word
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #72 of 118
The point is not your bashing, its more of your contradicting opinions where one feature is really good for 2 weeks then you call it degrading sound quality.

But back on topic, I agree with most people here, the headphone amp on Essence is less than ideal on a good setup. No sure I say the same with the line-out, it certainly sounds better than a high-end A&D DP9000.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #73 of 118
OTOH, the OP used to like using some super funky EQ'ing...so I hope he'll stop doing that if he gets an HD800
smily_headphones1.gif

play lossless audio only, get a good amp, EQ to kill middle ear resonances if you want(strongly recommended)...but that's it! no +16dB at 50Hz and 10kHz, otherwise buy a DT770/Pro and use that money to visit a distant country, it'll be far better spent IMHO.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #74 of 118
Quote:

I don't think stereophile's guys are snobbish or corrupted, maybe that STX is a great value-for-money DAC, but who says that an amplification circuit fed by a PCI card and smaller than the 1/4" jack of the headphones he would like to drive drives them even decently???

The STX version is PCI-E and it has a separate connector to the PSU... Listen to it if you get a chance, you'd be surprised.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #75 of 118
Get the PRO 900! Seriously they sound awesome with all kinds of electronic music. Anything from dubstep to psy trance sounds good on it. They blow away my 770pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back