Sennheiser HD800 with ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX?
Jan 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #46 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Where? $1400 vs $1700 in US, €1000 vs €2000 in EU.
Or am I missing another headphone?

Oh I stand corrected.
$2400 vs $2500 aud in australia.
Both sennheiser and grado are rip offs in australia though. I was close
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #47 of 118
Of course, that makes sense since Australia does not produce either of those.
Ok, back to ridiculing the idea of running the HD800 from a soundcard
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #48 of 118
Well in general we like to rape each other with exuberant fees. Go Aussie go.

As mentioned in another thread, you can listen to the said combo and no one shouldn't stop you. What people in this thread attempted to do with some dry humour was to inform you that the combo is a huge waste of money if that is your final rig etc.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #49 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well in general we like to rape each other with exuberant fees. Go Aussie go.

Just under a thousand dollars of fees on the HD800s? Pfft! There's nothing wrong with that!?

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #50 of 118
Just thought I'd check in because I'm running this setup now. I was worried about the peak impedance of the HD800 exceeding 600 ohms, but it turns out, the Xonar has more than enough power. I ended up using the medium gain setting at a volume of about 15-20 (out of 100.)

Now a few things regarding audio quality. The idea that the Xonar is an inferior source because it's cheap is simply not true. It's an extremely accurate source with an SNR of 124 dB, THD+N (@1kHz) 0.0003% and a <10Hz - 90KHz (-3.5 dB) frequency response.

For example the WA22 "Fully Balanced headphone amplifier" costs 1900$ and comes in at SNR of 92 dB, THD <0.3% and a 8Hz - 50KHz (-3 dB). Look up what the values mean, but put simply you want high SNR, low THD and broad FR, meaning the Xonar is better on all counts.

Now I understand that the WA22 "sounds better" to some and that's fine, at the end of the day your taste is what matters. If, on the other hand, all you care about is having a source/amp/headphone chain that reproduces the digital waveform as accurately as possible in your ears, you can't get much better than the Xonar Essence ST/HD800 combination.

I'm a child of the digital age, so my approach is to get neutral hardware and if I want to color the sound in any way, I'll use software filters to do it. The bottom line is everybody has to choose the amp that's right for them. I just want to dispel the notion that price has anything to do with it. This is the 21st century, building a freaking amplifier isn't rocket surgery.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #51 of 118
Thank you for your impressions justmoon. This is what I've been saying for months now. Very glad to hear you're enjoying their synergy.

It may take some time, but eventually people will learn to let go of their preconceived notions as to what audiophile sounds cards can and can't do.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #52 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by justmoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought I'd check in because I'm running this setup now. I was worried about the peak impedance of the HD800 exceeding 600 ohms, but it turns out, the Xonar has more than enough power. I ended up using the medium gain setting at a volume of about 15-20 (out of 100.)

Now a few things regarding audio quality. The idea that the Xonar is an inferior source because it's cheap is simply not true. It's an extremely accurate source with an SNR of 124 dB, THD+N (@1kHz) 0.0003% and a <10Hz - 90KHz (-3.5 dB) frequency response.

For example the WA22 "Fully Balanced headphone amplifier" costs 1900$ and comes in at SNR of 92 dB, THD <0.3% and a 8Hz - 50KHz (-3 dB). Look up what the values mean, but put simply you want high SNR, low THD and broad FR, meaning the Xonar is better on all counts.

Now I understand that the WA22 "sounds better" to some and that's fine, at the end of the day your taste is what matters. If, on the other hand, all you care about is having a source/amp/headphone chain that reproduces the digital waveform as accurately as possible in your ears, you can't get much better than the Xonar Essence ST/HD800 combination.

I'm a child of the digital age, so my approach is to get neutral hardware and if I want to color the sound in any way, I'll use software filters to do it. The bottom line is everybody has to choose the amp that's right for them. I just want to dispel the notion that price has anything to do with it. This is the 21st century, building a freaking amplifier isn't rocket surgery.

Good to hear. I've run mine off Forte and it sounds superb. Folks that assert running a 1400-dollar can off 140-dollar soundcard as a colossal waste of money very likely if not certainly haven't tried the synergy themselves. Gotta love speculative remarks based on nada or price tags, don't I? My opinion is in direct parallel w/ you and subtle. Enjoy your new cans.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #53 of 118
I have the STX with all kinds of opamps and I can tell you that all the standalone DACs I've tried have been clear upgrades from the soundcard (y2, Pico, MHDT Havana, Parasound 1000).

The STX gives ear-splitting volume if need be, and IMO is great for the price with 3xLME49720NA opamps (and a few other combinations), but I do think the HD800 sound significantly better from higher-end gear. Don't go just off the basic specs ASUS or anyone else cites. It's merely a starting point. Specs won't tell you how "dry" a sound is, how big the soundstage is, how accurate the imaging is, how well it handles transients...I could keep going.

If you ever hear the WA22 for example, I am almost certain you'd find that it sounds not a little, but a lot better than the STX's amped output, which I personally thought was lacking (not in power, but in quality). The card's strength lies in its line-out (moreso for the ST) because of its DAC. In its price range, I've heard no better, but don't cheat yourself and believe that the STX can play among the heavy hitters. You'll be surprised how much better the HD800 can sound if you dip your toes into the high-end pool.

There's nothing I or anyone else can say to change your mind, only long-term listening/experience will convince you of this.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #54 of 118
Quote:

You should be using the highest gain setting 300-600 ohms with HD800. Also make sure HF (hi fi) is enabled.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #55 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be using the highest gain setting 300-600 ohms with HD800. Also make sure HF (hi fi) is enabled.

Set the xonar volume at 50% and use your player volume to adjust the listening level - using xonar software like a preamp.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/as...-guide-475872/
Please stop going around telling people to put their crap to the highest gain.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #58 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the STX with all kinds of opamps and I can tell you that all the standalone DACs I've tried have been clear upgrades from the soundcard (y2, Pico, MHDT Havana, Parasound 1000).

The STX gives ear-splitting volume if need be, and IMO is great for the price with 3xLME49720NA opamps (and a few other combinations)

It's not even that. The Musiland 02 Monitor US beats it and the Nuforce uDac rivals/beats it and both are cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's nothing I or anyone else can say to change your mind, only long-term listening/experience will convince you of this.

This.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #59 of 118
Quote:

No. Just no. Did you read anything in this thread by people who've actually used this card?

Firstly, Freq specs having zero to do with quality - of build, or sound.

The STX take TAKE A LOAD of 600ohms. That has nothing to do with power output, or powering 600ohm phones, because although its got a built in amp, it won't put out much power at all.

While it might also be able to take that load as it's max, it probably won't do a great job if asked to do that all the time.

Analogy time: A small hatchback is rated for 5 people and you buy it to take 5 people to the high country every weekend.

A V8 Range Rover is rated for 5 people, and you buy it to take 5 people to the high country every weekend.

Which one is actually going to do it properly without any passenger, or engine discomfort?

THe HD800 is a $1440 phone and the STX is a $200 soundcard. Anyone spot a bit of a quality mismatch?

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #60 of 118
Well... behind any phone out there is an amplifier... but a 2$ chip amplifier with a 1500$ headphone?

With 1500 $ you could get a fantastic rig, IMHO... Instead of a poorly driven headphone...!!!

You don't want external DACs and amps? Well, since the music you listen to (but in which format???) I strongly suggest you a closed-back headphone, Such as an ATH, a DENON, or a 32 Ohm DT-770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back