Sennheiser HD800 with ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX?
Jan 3, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #16 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the genres you mentioned, HD800 will probably be an overkill. You maybe able to cure some of the sibilance with opamp rolling; but for bass oriented music, closed headphones are much better, they can give you the slam open headphones cant.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #17 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have these? Is it a good combination? No listening fatigue (Harsh, Loud, Aggressive or too bright) when using the integrated Headphone AMP? Does it sound amazing for electronic music like Trance/Techno/Dance/Hardcore? Or do you think are better headphones for these genres to use with the STX? Curious to your opinion
smile.gif

$1400 headphones.
$200 soundcard. [size=xx-small]Oh, and there's a weeny amp in there[/size]

What's wrong with this picture?

Good or great phones don't do it all by themselves - sound matching shouldn't even be a consideration when you're talking about a mismatch in quality output that is this large.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #18 of 118
I find the HD650 too warm/bassy for Electronic music and they also have rolled of highs. Good airy high's are very important for Trance to get a good soundstage. I have listened to the Pioneer HDJ-1000 and the Technics RP-DH1200. While they are quite similair in sound I prefer the Technics because it has better low end punch then the Pioneer. I also listened to the Sony SA5000. Very clear and microdetailed, very good soundstage with high resolution!, fast, airy, but a little thin sounding with a lacking low-end punch. But the cold, fast and big sound of the Sony seems very good for Electronic music. From what i've readed here the Sennheiser HD800 has the same sound type as the Sony but with a step up. Is this true?

And what about the Denon AH-D7000? Or are they too slow/warm with sloppy bass for Electronic/Trance? I know they have good bass that reach low but I don't know if it is that kind of punchy bass that I am looking for.

I know the Headphone AMP on the Xonar STX/ST creates listening fatigue because it makes the sound harsh and agressive. But maybe that sound type can be compensated with the right headphones? I have owned the STX before (some months back) and within one week I returned it because I can't stand the harsh/loud/agressive sound (Yes they are even harsh/loud/agressive with my current bassy muddy headphone). I think the X-Fi cards have a sweeter sound. Not that clear as the Xonars, but compared to the stock Xonar STX they have better bass texture, sweeter mids and softer high's. I also liked the X-Fi's presentation/soundstage/positional precision. Maybe the Auzentech X-Fi Bravura/Forte is a better choice for me. Or do they also have a bad headphone AMP that makes the sound harsh?

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #19 of 118
Not sure how Trance/Techno/Dance/Hardcore are but for dubstep,dnb,hardstyle and idm the Denon 2000's do an amazing job.

And when you say "dance" its a really broad term like electronica. Techno can also be that way unless you mean the extremely minimal genre within electronica. Assuming so then a pair of cheap $40 headphones would do the trick.

And as someone else mentioned closed headphones are 100% the way to go when listening to electronica music.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #20 of 118
To be more specific, I mostly listen to:

Trance (Armin van buuren, Leon Bolier, Markuz schulz, Joop ... Just the ones with the 'big' sound).
Dancecore (Hardbass Chapter, Tunnel Trance Force, DJ Networx)
Hardstyle (Zany, Showtek, Headhunterz, Max B Grant, Philippe Rochard etc..)
Jump (Ruthless & Vorwerk, Greg C, Dj Coone, DJ Massiv)
Hardcore (Thunderdome, Masters of Hardcore, DHT Virus etc..)

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #22 of 118
so... what kind of budget are you thinking about anyway? The $1600 you're talking about now could be distributed way more evenly and could probably give you a much more satisfying result. Unless you plan to upgrade source/amp later of course...

Think about the basic (or used?) Stax setup and a decent source. The Lambda Signature I had a while ago had that airy detailed sound you seem to be looking for, with solid non overblown bass. In combination with an SRM-T1 (for example) it would run you close to $1000, add a good DAC in the $600 range and you're set within this budget. Won't need to worry about any weak spots in the setup either.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 118
To my mind, some are quite unfair with the essence stx. Obvisouly coupling a 1400$ headphones with a 200$ soundcard is not a good idea at all, and that's the same with everything else in life, I mean you computer components, your dressing and so on. But the essence is not useless at all and I like to add something. You can't expect the essence to do justice to the hd800 alone. But its high-end dac deserves better consideration, this card should be seen as a source, nothing more. Forget to use the headphone amp and out to get high-end SQ but ther's nothing wrong using the essence as a source only with a very good amp via its rca out and high-end headphones. Some folks here should re-consider the computer soundcards since two or three ones like the essence have killed creative. This era belongs to the past. And don't forget that scale economics allow a manufacturer like asus to offer high-end products for 200$ while it would cost quite more from anothers hi-fi brands. Of course the essence doesn't compare with 1000$ cd players but don't underestimate it as a source, only. Just my mind.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #24 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOTDJGEAR DJ Blog » REVIEW: Pioneer HDJ 2000
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones

some impressions on hdj's 2000. These are really cool phones you should audition them before you buy something else.

Do they sound better then te Technics RP-DH1200? I think the Technics has better bass punch then the Pioneers. But pioneer has better Highs. How is the sound of the HDJ-2000 compared to the HDJ-1000? Does the HDJ-2000 match the Technics bass?

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #25 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Short version: I use my Forte instead of DAC1 for gaming because of CMSS-3D

You are aware you can use CMSS-3D through the digital output of your Forte routed through your DAC1 and have much better SQ without having to unplug and plug in your headphones all the time, right?

Also, I'm amazed that some people have responded seriously to this question, which I hope is a troll. You're spending $1400 on headphones and $200 on a source and amp to power them? You're kidding yourself if you honestly have done research and think that will sound good.

Get a decent soundcard with a full sized SPDIF out (Auzentech Forte, Asus Xonar D2 or better, M-Audio Audiophile 192, E-MU 0404 or 1212m), then buy an external DAC/Amp under $600, that leaves you with roughly $600 for headphones if $1400 was your budget, which means you will have an excellent setup.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #26 of 118
I never heard technics and i forgot how 1000's sound but i can say 2000' are much much better. 2000 have nice mids and highs and bass is just good not best but just good And they are very comfy (try some terrordrome sissy
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #27 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are aware you can use CMSS-3D through the digital output of your Forte routed through your DAC1 and have much better SQ without having to unplug and plug in your headphones all the time, right?

Also, I'm amazed that some people have responded seriously to this question, which I hope is a troll. You're spending $1400 on headphones and $200 on a source and amp to power them? You're kidding yourself if you honestly have done research and think that will sound good.

Get a decent soundcard with a full sized SPDIF out (Auzentech Forte, Asus Xonar D2 or better, M-Audio Audiophile 192, E-MU 0404 or 1212m), then buy an external DAC/Amp under $600, that leaves you with roughly $600 for headphones if $1400 was your budget, which means you will have an excellent setup.

I never said I have my 800 plugged directly into the Forte. All my phones are plugged into the out of my Pre. The selection b/w Pre, Forte occurs over the input switch knob of my Pre and the Windows sound menu under control panel.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #28 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did some research and comparsion. In fact, I have been reading comparsions and reviews at this forum for a couple of days now. But there are so many people that have different opinions about a headphone or soundcard/headphone combination for a specific genre that I don't know what to believe. For example look at this post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my HD800s with the Asus STX when I'm in the office and I'm constantly amazed at how good that sound card is. I've never been let down by the sound quality I get it from that combination in any way. I'm not sure if the power supply powering the card has anything to do with its output, but in my rig I'm using an 860w power supply.

Anyhow, regarding your question, to my ears the HD800 absolutely slays the D7000 when it comes to electronica. The transient response, speed, dynamics, and especially soundstage bring an immersion to electronica that the D7000 can't even begin to compete with. The D7000 may have a more prominent midbass, but it's pretty easy to discern that the HD800s bass is not only of a much higher quality but it also goes lower than the D7000.

and this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For trance, definitely AH-D7000.
For bass oriented music, the denons.

I had the AH-D7000 and now have the HD800. Since I don't listen to bass oriented music, my preference is the HD800.

There are no stores here in my country were you can just walk in and listen to the Denon AH-D7000 or the Sennheiser HD800. Only a few stores here sell the HD800 but no one here is selling Denon headphones. Same goes for Ultrasone.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #29 of 118
humm, apparently the HD800 has a SPC cable...and the STX has very spikey/agressive trebles(its $2.25 TI IC amp only worsens things up on top), I can foresee headaches for you my dear friend.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #30 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did some research and comparsion. In fact, I have been reading comparsions and reviews at this forum for a couple of days now. But there are so many people that have different opinions about a headphone or soundcard/headphone combination for a specific genre that I don't know what to believe. ...

That's probably the best thing that can happen to you.

Now that you know that everything is an opinion, and they all differ, you can find what your looking for.

Ask yourself, what do you want. Do you want a good pair of headphones to enjoy your music? Or do you want a hobby that you can build on. Basically, journey or destination.

If it's the destination, get yourself a $200 pair of headphones and don't look back. Your not going to find the perfect sound right out of the gate, it's too subjective for someone to tell you what you'll like. But you can probably find something that you will like, and if you don't know any better, then you can be happy with it.

If you can demo, then you can find what you want before you buy, but it will take some time.

If it's the journey, then as they say "Sorry about your wallet." For $1600, you can get a DAC, an amp, and a couple of headphones. You can build a good start to headphones as a hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back