Sennheiser HD800 vs. Beyerdynamic T1: Differences in Transducer Engineering
Feb 9, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am an engineer.

It would appear that Beyerdynamic has opted to go all out and give their transducers the white glove treatment. Sennheiser apparently is content to let their transducers spontaneously fall to pieces when subjected to zero-g environments.

Verdict: Beyerdynamic.

Where did you read Sennheiser drivers fall apart in Zero-g environments? And more importantly, do you plan on listening to your HD800 in outer space any time soon, or on the vomit comet? (On the space station you still have micro gravity, but it's not much, effectively zero. In order to get true zero gravity, you'd have to be floating out in space with no objects around you.)

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you read Sennheiser drivers fall apart in Zero-g environments? And more importantly, do you plan on listening to your HD800 in outer space any time soon, or on the vomit comet? (On the space station you still have micro gravity, but it's not much, effectively zero. In order to get true zero gravity, you'd have to be floating out in space with no objects around you.)

No NASA kosher on the 800.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #18 of 27
The jury is out until I hear the Beyers... no other statement headphone I've listened to compares to the HD800, not even the orpheus.

I'd love to drop a cool thousand bucks on another great pair of cans though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe it was a joke referencing the rendering of the driver "spread out" vs the beyerdynamic driver (which is held by a white glove).

A "render" is essentially zero G.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the angling of the transducers is not new technology. Whether the transducers are angled or not, it would be great to find engineers who have the knowledge and ability to examine each of the transducers on a micro level.

Sorry, I meant newer when compared to the 1940s style that hadn't changed much until this new off center design came in a few years back.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The jury is out until I hear the Beyers... no other statement headphone I've listened to compares to the HD800, not even the orpheus.

I'd love to drop a cool thousand bucks on another great pair of cans though
smily_headphones1.gif

I did some A-B testing last night with Michael Buble's new album and they both compare quite admirably...with a slight edge in musicality to the T1s.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #22 of 27
Although I have not heard these two particular drivers, in my experience, headstage is affected greatly by the placement of the driver (and cup / ear pad design). How much sound radiate out, and in what directions can it radiate? How much sound can enter again through the cups on the other side?

Letting sound enter again at either side, usually eats bass. So, more headstage usually means less bass impact. I'd guess that if one modded the HD800 to get more bass by reducing the amout of sound that can enter the cups from the outside, headstage would be reduced.

So it would require a very good driver to both give headstage by leaking out and in sound, and at the same time provide bass. Especially if one also wants good treble and a reasonably flat response.

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #23 of 27
My personal preference is to the T1, but both the T1 and HD800 are exceptional headphones. What exact impact the drivers have, I do not have any ability to render an opinion on.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what the protector protects? Getting loose?

They protect the drivers from being influenced by any whispers from Leonard Nimoy.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #27 of 27
Not an official one, no - but much discussion on that topic in several other threads. More T1's need to get out there before that dialog becomes meaningful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back