Sennheiser HD800 Updates!!!
Jun 3, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #496 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did my ballanced HD 800 go out yet?
tongue_smile.gif

any description for this balanced HD 800 edition anywhere?

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #497 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any description for this balanced HD 800 edition anywhere?

I was at the meet in LA, and asked Headroom if they could re-terminate the ends with XLR connections, before they sent them out to me. (Same as all the balanced HD 800s at the meet. I don't think there are any aftermarket cables available yet.)

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #498 of 554
Got the shipping receipt, they should be here Thursday! Too bad I'll be in Maryland visiting my parents. Hopefully UPS holds onto them until I get back.

angry_face.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #499 of 554
Quote:

I was at the meet in LA, and asked Headroom if they could re-terminate the ends with XLR connections, before they sent them out to me. (Same as all the balanced HD 800s at the meet. I don't think there are any aftermarket cables available yet.)

thanks
it's replacement of the stereo headphone jack into 2 XLR for your balanced output amp.
i'd like that too for my grace m902b.
i wonder if anyone has done this already.

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #500 of 554
Quote:

thanks
it's replacement of the stereo headphone jack into 2 XLR for your balanced output amp.
i'd like that too for my grace m902b.

Yes! There were lots of re-terminated HD 800s at the meet!

Ray putting XLR ends on his 800s at the show.
dsc0024m.jpg

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #501 of 554
Quote:

Yes! There were lots of re-terminated HD 800s at the meet!

Ray putting XLR ends on his 800s at the show.
dsc0024m.jpg

what type of plugs? WBT? even more pricy?

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #502 of 554
Quote:

Several pairs were reterminated at the meet. One quick note to anyone thinking of doing this, do not make assumptions of connectivity based on wire color. What I mean is this, on the pair that I did for TTVJ the red wire was not the right signal wire, it was in fact the left. But otherwise the retermination was pretty simple and should be able to be done by any competent DIY'er or MOT.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #504 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Several pairs were reterminated at the meet. One quick note to anyone thinking of doing this, do not make assumptions of connectivity based on wire color. What I mean is this, on the pair that I did for TTVJ the red wire was not the right signal wire, it was in fact the left. But otherwise the retermination was pretty simple and should be able to be done by any competent DIY'er or MOT.

interesting.. checked it twice on the pair that I did.. maybe mine are pre-production special or something
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #505 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting.. checked it twice on the pair that I did.. maybe mine are pre-production special or something
confused_face_2.gif

I still have the 6" pigtail that I cut off so I'll check it again but I definitely triple checked it when building the cable this past weekend. And I believe that thrice who reterminated a pair for Voltron found the same thing regarding the color and channel assignment. What I think it means is that they don't care, much like AKG (the K701 is not consistently wired by color) it just is what it is and should be checked each time.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #506 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it matter?

well,
if you're spending 1400 on phones and another 300 on cables, what's another 250 on really expensive german ends?

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #508 of 554
I re-confirmed tonight that on the cable that I have the red wire is left and the green wire is right. Also, the wire diameter of the stock cable is 30ga, the wire itself is stranded and it's unclear to me exactly what it is. I could be silver, it could be silver-plated, but it's definitely not simply copper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back