Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 21, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #8,493 of 8,761
So Mojo2 is a bit brighter than Mojo 1 with a bit more resolving and driving power. I would avoid planar and stick with dynamics. The only end game cans I can think of that would work relatively well with Mojo2 would be HP1000, Pulsar and Utopia 2022 (borderline and potentially needing to add some foam or EQ). I think Clear OG (not end game in the first place) might sound a bit harsh with mojo 2 in the upper mid without EQ. I honestly didn't like Mojo2 driving most full-sized headphones.

Edit/rant: I fail to understand the appeal of buying end game full sized cans and trying to drive them with portable electronics. If portability is important then you either go full wireless or IEM.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #8,495 of 8,761
I’m perplexed by end game and mojo. I’d consider iem’s instead. Or how about low ohm easy to run headphones. Perhaps with scooped out V like th900. It’s a bass thumper but my hugo runs it well. Don’t have mojo.

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #8,496 of 8,761
It's not my first choice, but i am totally fine with the mojo2 and either the hd800 or S. I can't always take a big amp with me. The lcd sucks for long listening sessions, waaaay tooo heavy, uncomfortable.

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #8,497 of 8,761
Here's a question for everyone: I've watched or read every HD800S review I could find -- and I've found a LOT. And generally, the reviews don't make any sense to me. People give favorable overall ratings while giving terrible overall reviews. What I mean is, many reviews seem to go like this:

"The HD800S is great. It's a legend. You should absolutely consider getting one. It's thin-sounding, harsh, has a spiky treble, sounds unnatural, lays out a large space in which things sound tiny, is old, is bested by newer headphones, and has no bass. Like I said, it's great. 5 Stars."

What in the world is going on here? It's the worst reviews and the highest scores. I'd appreciate any and all thoughts.

Wade
There isn't a headphone on this planet that's perfect for everyone for every piece of music. Point here, no matter the headphone, someone is going to complain, it lacks something. My suggestion is to figure out what "you're looking for", not what other's wish.

Regarding bass - I've said this before, and I'll say it again, the "lack of bass" complaint is utter noise. The Sennheiser HD800S has plenty of bass and bass extension, they're just not a bass heavy phone. If your primary music is EDM and Hip-Hop these may not be for you. For all other stuff they're great in the bass department. Even better is their bass extension. You'd be surprised as how deep they go.

Spikey sounds - yeah, these can get spikey, but it's also on the music being played as well as the amp pushing them. On warm (dark) sounding systems, they're not near as spikey as on bright sounding systems or bright material - music with lots of highs. And yeah, though they can get spikey, it's not an always issue. In fact, I can't really say my HD800S got spikey until I moved to some overly bright XLR cables I was trying out with my new headphone amp. So here synergy (system matching) helps.

Lastly, some judge an item before it's even had a break in period; yes, that's a real thing, and thus assume the initial sound they're hearing is typical of the unit. I remember doing exactly that when I got my Sennheiser HD700 phones; they were so overly bright and thin that I thought they were defective and posted about it in the Sennheiser HD700 appreciation thread.

I was quicky straightened out on two things - 1) if you're not used to open back headphones, they can at first sound off-putting. And 2) allow at least a week burn-in. Once I understood that, the HD700 phones ended up being a very loved headphone that I used for 7 years, until I recently (Feb) moved to the HD800S, which are even better.

At the end of the day, the only one that can say if these are a good match for you is "you". Once you hear them, with the above in mind, then you'll know if they're right for you. If you're not in a position to personally hear them (I wasn't) reviews can help, but you need to have an understanding of what you're looking for before reading reviews.

I bought my Denafrips Artemis headphone amp based on reviews and user inputs from this site, in which most said, what I now find true... this is a warm sounding amp that pairs very well with the HD800S. The key though in choosing the amp is I knew exactly the sound I was after before looking at headphone amps. The Artemis fit that bill.

In looking for headphones you might do the same. when looking at the Sennheiser HD800S, you must understand it's plus/minus to see if they'll work for you.

My (long winded) two cents :relaxed:

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #8,498 of 8,761
I just want an end game hp for Mojo2, I don't want to buy expensive amps, cables etc...
You don't need to, but of course in this thread you have a bunch of people that love the headphone so much they spent a lot of money to get the very best out of it. You're making a huge mistake if your primary genre is classical by not getting the HD800S in favor of the LCD. Several small eurpean classical labels mixed and mastered their recordings using the HD800. If you primarily listened to Hip Hop I wouldn't make the same claim...

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #8,499 of 8,761
Argh i wish senn came out with a hd800S successor with powerful bass.

Is there a headphone that has the great comfort of 800S, good resolution, speed but also has powerful full bass?

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #8,500 of 8,761
Guys,
First of all, thank you so much for your time and help. Just to make things clear...
I'm a bit of a conservative myself and I don't like the idea of introducing audio gear or any kind of stuff inside me, that's why I'm not into iem.
I'd like to purchase the best HP that Mojo2 could be able to handle properly for mostly classical music.
I fancy portable gear because I want to enjoy music in different places of my house.
I'm a bit treble sensitive too... what should I get?
Maybe hd800s requires more power? Maybe arya is too bright and poorly made? Maybe lcdx shines more in edm and too heavy? Maybe clear is too harsh? Maybe zmf are a bit over priced and require more power?
Please show me the light.
Cheers!

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #8,502 of 8,761
Argh i wish senn came out with a hd800S successor with powerful bass.

Is there a headphone that has the great comfort of 800S, good resolution, speed but also has powerful full bass?
Austrian Audio The Composer. It doesn't have as wide a soundstage. But it is sonically similar to the hd800s with a deep linear bass response.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #8,503 of 8,761
Thanks.. looks interesting.

What about HE1000 se ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back