Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Feb 2, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #8,266 of 8,818
I'm also still interested in hearing the Composer. I like to think there might be some steam left in the tradition that fostered the K1000, the MySphere and the K812 - all of which I like. The HD800S and ADX5000 are currently the only phones I own - but it would be terrific to find an interesting new model.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #8,267 of 8,818
ok everyone buy wa33 EE, just took hd800s up the crown jewel status

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #8,268 of 8,818
ok everyone buy wa33 EE, just took hd800s up the crown jewel status
lol. What did you use before that amp? congrats on hearing 800s’ true form.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #8,269 of 8,818
I've recently acquired the HD800S and am listening to it through this chain:
PC (Roon) ↠ Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable / iFi iPurifier2 ↠ Gustard U18 (←Harmonic Technology Digital Copper III BNC cable ← LHY OCK-2) ↠ Tubulus Concentus I2S cable ↠ Gustard R26 (←Tubulus Concentus BNC cable ← LHY OCK-2) ↠ Clone Odin XLR cable ↠ 2023 Burson Soloist 3X GT ↠ HD800S
It's honestly been great. Maybe it's the op amps I'm running in the Burson (see signature), but I feel like this is close to the HE1000se sound signature and resolution, but with wider soundstage. Not as fast or detailed as the HE1000se, and not as good sub-bass extension, but really not bad at all! I'm kinda surprised at how not disappointed I am in the bass after hearing all the reviews about the HD800S lacking in that department.

I've tried the oratory1990 EQ and it seems to help with some tracks with lots of sibilance, but I'm mostly enjoying it in stock form.

Also using it for FPS gaming. It's a "yes" in that department.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #8,270 of 8,818
My reacquired HD800S’s arrived today. It’s nice to have them back in my stable. The accuracy and detail in sound has been missed. I have the Dekoni Fenestrated leather pads on my set. The deeper pads does give them a bit more bass volume, which is nice. Everything else sounds about the same in comparison to the stock pads. I wouldn’t mind hearing about other experiences with the Dekoni pads from those who have tried them.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #8,271 of 8,818
My reacquired HD800S’s arrived today. It’s nice to have them back in my stable. The accuracy and detail in sound has been missed. I have the Dekoni Fenestrated leather pads on my set. The deeper pads does give them a bit more bass volume, which is nice. Everything else sounds about the same in comparison to the stock pads. I wouldn’t mind hearing about other experiences with the Dekoni pads from those who have tried them.
I tried their velour pads. Woolly mess. Took them off after 10 mins, destroying them in the process.

Expensive mistake.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #8,272 of 8,818
I tried their velour pads. Woolly mess. Took them off after 10 mins, destroying them in the process.

Expensive mistake.
Wow, what a terrible experience. The fenestrated leather pads seems to be okay so far.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #8,273 of 8,818
I've recently acquired the HD800S and am listening to it through this chain:

It's honestly been great. Maybe it's the op amps I'm running in the Burson (see signature), but I feel like this is close to the HE1000se sound signature and resolution, but with wider soundstage. Not as fast or detailed as the HE1000se, and not as good sub-bass extension, but really not bad at all! I'm kinda surprised at how not disappointed I am in the bass after hearing all the reviews about the HD800S lacking in that department.

I've tried the oratory1990 EQ and it seems to help with some tracks with lots of sibilance, but I'm mostly enjoying it in stock form.

Also using it for FPS gaming. It's a "yes" in that department.
I've always thought the HD800S bass is superb with acoustic music - as good as it gets. It has great low extension and it's very articulate well below the range of acoustic instruments, even if the relative level is a little lower in a very few cases. The insight it offers into the full frequency range strikes me as very close to the concert experience. I've recently been using the ADX5000 too - and it might be even more articulate in some cases. The lower reaches strike me as more 'pedulous' than the HD800S - presumably the effect of the relatively recessed upper bass. Which is more convincing is an interesting question. I like both - although they're different.

EDIT
I thought I should add that, after more extensive listening, I can't help but feel the ADX doesn't reproduce the natural timbre of instruments quite so convincingly - and this has something to do with the superior spatial quality of the HD800S presentation, I think. I find it interesting that it's this spatial/timbral quality which inevitably distinguishes the Sennheiser to my ear. My experience with the Stax SR-009S was very similar. The SR-009S and the ADX5000 are the only phones I've encountered which strike me as competitive - but ultimately the HD800S just seems more honest.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #8,275 of 8,818
I agree, Crossfeed is a must for me as well, I use the Jan Meier settings on my RME ADI-2 for all my headphones.
That's very interesting. I didn't know the RME had a crossfeed setting. I take it you don't find the additional digital processing affects SQ? Do you mind me asking whether you listen to hi-res files (including DSD)?

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #8,279 of 8,818
My favorite HD800S chain at the moment is the diminutive but awesome Andix Audio HPA-45 fed by the T+A DAC200. The little amp manages to bring out the bass in the Senn.

Attachments

• IMG_0711.jpeg
    IMG_0711.jpeg
    856.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back