Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 30, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #8,252 of 8,761
Hello,

anyone have 800s and Violectric 202/222? Im thinking about this combination. And maybe some r2r dac. I listen 90% jazz, blues...

regards,
Simon
I have a v222 driving my 800S, and the combo sounds fantastic. The V222 has an especially textured, transparent midrange, which allows the 800S to shine. In addition, the V222's powerful bass and soft treble mitigate the 800S' weaknesses.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #8,253 of 8,761
I have a v222 driving my 800S, and the combo sounds fantastic. The V222 has an especially textured, transparent midrange, which allows the 800S to shine. In addition, the V222's powerful bass and soft treble mitigate the 800S' weaknesses.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
So this combination is for me :-D For dac maybe Ares II (I had one in the past)..

regards,
Simon

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #8,254 of 8,761
So this combination is for me :-D For dac maybe Ares II (I had one in the past)..

regards,
Simon
I had an Ares 2, but replaced it with the similar but superior Musician Draco. You may want to consider it...

Feb 1, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #8,256 of 8,761
Interesting comments, subjectively speaking from Andrew...HD800S "A" vs AA Composer "B-B+"....

Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 8.44.01 AM.png

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #8,257 of 8,761
Interesting comments, subjectively speaking from Andrew...HD800S "A" vs AA Composer "B-B+"....

Well, as someone who owns the HD800 and then the S since it came out and loves them both... I now own the Composer and I disagree with Resolve. The Composer is overall a better headphone the HD800 and S. Whether it's worth the extra moolah, that is a normal debate in hi-end audio.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #8,258 of 8,761
Well, as someone who owns the HD800 and then the S since it came out and loves them both... I now own the Composer and I disagree with Resolve. The Composer is overall a better headphone the HD800 and S.
As a long time AKG user I've been coincidentally enjoying my AKG K872s but I also have the HD800S and HD820 on hand and while the K812 and K872 never gained as much traction focusing on the Pro and not the consumer I personally feel the AKG are technically better than the Senns in clarity and transparency so at times I get the sensation a barrier or film has been lifted between me and the recording. Both the AKG and Senn could use a bit more bottom end to bring them up competitively to the current offerings and looks like the Composer may be the missing link but as you've said....
Whether it's worth the extra moolah, that is a normal debate in hi-end audio.
In the end it's all relatively subjective, and what phone is capable of long musical term satisfaction, to me they're all still just headphones. lol.

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #8,259 of 8,761
I love my HD-800S headphone (“If you love it, why don’t you marry it?” - Peewee Herman, 1985). I have zero negative impressions - EXCEPT for one thing - they feel too loose on my head. I often feel as if I move my head too quickly they’ll fall off. Or if I bend down, for example, to pick something off the floor, they’ll easily fall off my head.

Maybe I have a small head? I’m 5’ 9”, that doesn’t seem likely. I sent a note to Sennheiser about this, and their rep suggested I wrap a bandana around my head to make the ear pads closer to my ears, etc. That seems silly.

Plus, I’m a mastering engineer, I take my headphones on and off at regular intervals. What a pain in the neck to have to re-tie the bandana every time!

OK, I use the 800S’s more for listening to music for pleasure, but still, wrapping a bandana around my head seems like an odd fix for a design flaw on headphones that are premium priced!

Does anyone else have this “problem”? Or have a fix for a loose pair of HD-800S’s?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #8,260 of 8,761
some heads are small, some big, some just right. for me hd800s hugs snug, its la900 that doesn't like abrupt movements or looking down. i here 1266 can be tough, ill find out, this year hopefully.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #8,261 of 8,761
I often feel as if I move my head too quickly they’ll fall off. Or if I bend down, for example, to pick something off the floor, they’ll easily fall off my head.
They are meant to be for listening to music, not cleaning the floor, and don't turn around too quickly; you might hurt your neck. :beyersmile:

Dude, nothing is wrong with that; it's just that some people are bothered, and some don't pay attention to it...like me, for instance :)

Enjoy music :)

Cheers!

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #8,262 of 8,761
I love my HD-800S headphone (“If you love it, why don’t you marry it?” - Peewee Herman, 1985). I have zero negative impressions - EXCEPT for one thing - they feel too loose on my head.
Hey Tom..as I mentioned in the other thread they are a loose fitting headphone......give it time, I've mine for eight years, yes they're loser than all my other phones but it does not interfere with the overall sound, just not the best for playing air guitar, bending over or sometimes just reclining, needing a bit of pillow support.
Now unlike my HD820 which do perform better with a tighter fit this can be accomplished with a small adjustable cable cinch, I just use a hair tie, might work..at least no bandanas are needed.
Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 4.26.47 PM.png
cable cinch.jpeg

Suffer from a lose fit or wanting your HD820 feeling more secure while reclining, or a simple solution for tighter seal for best bass performance....
......help is just a hair tie away.
https://www.amazon.ca/Goody-Ouchless-Womens-Braided-Elastic/dp/B00DFSHD5O

Fully adjustable up or down, but not to tight or the earcups will begin to lose their seal at the top of the ear. (then you'll need a small bungee cord at the top of your head)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #8,265 of 8,761
Well, as someone who owns the HD800 and then the S since it came out and loves them both... I now own the Composer and I disagree with Resolve. The Composer is overall a better headphone the HD800 and S. Whether it's worth the extra moolah, that is a normal debate in hi-end audio.
I also don't agree with Resolve and/or Golden from time to time. Granted, Nomax was not doing Composer any favor by shilling it so hard. I am still interested in hearing one - hopefully at AXPONA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back