Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 18, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #7,895 of 8,764
Delivered over 5 hours ago, people coming & going today, so trying to have more of a listen just now. Initial impressions. I’m going to like them. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 19, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #7,897 of 8,764
I’ve been auditioning a Focal Utopia 2022 for the last couple weeks and am considering returning it as I think I honestly enjoy the HD800S more. I thought the Utopia would be a no brainer but definitely not the case.

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #7,898 of 8,764
I’ve been auditioning a Focal Utopia 2022 for the last couple weeks and am considering returning it as I think I honestly enjoy the HD800S more. I thought the Utopia would be a no brainer but definitely not the case.

That was my experience. I owned Utopia twice, each time with a different amplifier, and both times I had a clear preference for the HD-800S. For some reason I was fully expecting to prefer the Utopia, but it wasn't the case. It's a great headphone, just not a personal favorite of mine.

Jul 22, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #7,901 of 8,764
as the HD820 are friggin' amazing at rendering old trance music to my ears but there's something about the HD800S that makes them... i don't know, unique? ........
Funny.. just dropping in after spending the last few months with the HD820 and HD660S2 and recently comparing the S2 with the 800S reminded me of how special the 800S really are, they just do everything bigger and better, sound staging becomes more 3 dimensional, relatively speaking less claustrophobic, base while not sounding as impactful has layering, the sound overall just breaths more. The S2 still have their place when a warmer more intimate presentation is desired.
I agree with you that it’s definitely better sounding than the earlier ones I had.
Interesting..I was an early adopter so my 800S were made in Germany....maybe the Irish Guinness is having its influence on the manufacturing. :)

I’ve been auditioning a Focal Utopia 2022 for the last couple weeks and am considering returning it as I think I honestly enjoy the HD800S more.
Haven't heard the most recent Utopia but did prefer the 800S over the OG

Jul 23, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #7,902 of 8,764
Funny.. just dropping in after spending the last few months with the HD820 and HD660S2 and recently comparing the S2 with the 800S reminded me of how special the 800S really are, they just do everything bigger and better, sound staging becomes more 3 dimensional, relatively speaking less claustrophobic, base while not sounding as impactful has layering, the sound overall just breaths more. The S2 still have their place when a warmer more intimate presentation is desired.
Agreed. The HD800s are just clearly better at everything. The one thing though, at least for me, is that there's no way they could be my sole headphone/ daily driver. The 660S2 is just way more "comfy" so to speak, can listen to them for hours with no fatigue and such. The 800s are incredible in spurts just to experience that raw technical ability, but I keep coming back to the 660s2 .

Add in the price difference, especially for those that got them on the recent sale (I pre-ordered for the full day $599 US), and they're even more incredible.

Jul 23, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #7,904 of 8,764
I can't just pick one. I need both 😉

20230601_165754.jpg
How much more heavier is the Utopia compared to the HD800S? Can you draw some quick comparisons between the 2?

Jul 24, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #7,905 of 8,764
How much more heavier is the Utopia compared to the HD800S? Can you draw some quick comparisons between the 2?

The weight difference is... 490g vs 330g? You can definitely notice the weight difference but so far I have not had any comfort issues with Utopia. That said... HD800S is the headphone that I can wear all day with zero comfort issues. I have had way too many +6h gaming sessions with HD800S. The best headphone for FPS gaming. :smile:

IMHO HD800S and Utopia 2022 are more different than similar headphones. That is why they have their own place in my "collection".

I like HD800S for speaker like sound presentation, really wide soundstage, pinpoint imaging and great comfort. There is allso something about HD800S that not every type of music recording sound great but when it does... there is magic going on. Did I mention that these are the best gaming headphones :wink:

I like Utopia 2022 because they are at the same time really resolving but not analytical. Every kind of music just sound plesant without being peaky or harsh (Kind of like HD660S2 in that sense). The mids are great. The soundstage is not that wide but there is nice depth and layering going on. The sound is dynamic with good amount of slam/punch on the low end.

I'm not the right person to do any kind of headphone comparison. I just like to enjoy using them and not care too much about frequency response, analytical comparisons etc. Both are great headphones. :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back