Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 24, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #7,876 of 8,764
The box says it's made in Ireland, does that mean it's the new revision?
From my limited to 3 samples, purely subjective experience, every HD800S made in Ireland is the “new batch”. If you’re used to excess bass, time will tell if you can get accustomed to the Senn’s sound signature. I did and i can’t go back to bass(y)head cans, ever again.

Jun 24, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #7,878 of 8,764
From my limited to 3 samples, purely subjective experience, every HD800S made in Ireland is the “new batch”. If you’re used to excess bass, time will tell if you can get accustomed to the Senn’s sound signature. I did and i can’t go back to bass(y)head cans, ever again.
After EQ settings, the bass is strong enough. I don't think it would get as bassy as one of the most best IEM's for bass (IER-Z1R), but it's enough I think. I've listened to it for a few days now and my ears are adjusting. I do miss my old amp driving the HD800 (Mainline), but I'm also pleasantly surprised how well the Mojo 2 drives this.

I gotta say, I'm really miss having a full-sized headphone again. I can't really tolerate anything that's heavier than these HD800S's (330g without cables) so I've been using IEM's most of the time for desktop use. I'm really enjoying this HD800 right now, and I've never had such a drastic "burn in" process as this when my ears adjusted from an IEM which I've used for years to the HD800S. I sold all my old amps and primarily use just the Mojo 2 now, but I miss the sound of my old Mainline. It drove the HD800 so well and paired perfectly with the Mojo as a DAC.

Which brings to my next question, if I want some of that tube sound (not too tubey and viscous, but more along the lines of Mainline), but don't want a large footprint on my desktop (I have more of a modern setup now with a glass table). What would be a good sounding, non-intrusive, semi-tube amp with fairly good aesthetics to pair with the HD800S using the Mojo 2 as a DAC?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #7,879 of 8,764
After EQ settings, the bass is strong enough. I don't think it would get as bassy as one of the most best IEM's for bass (IER-Z1R), but it's enough I think. I've listened to it for a few days now and my ears are adjusting. I do miss my old amp driving the HD800 (Mainline), but I'm also pleasantly surprised how well the Mojo 2 drives this.

I gotta say, I'm really miss having a full-sized headphone again. I can't really tolerate anything that's heavier than these HD800S's (330g without cables) so I've been using IEM's most of the time for desktop use. I'm really enjoying this HD800 right now, and I've never had such a drastic "burn in" process as this when my ears adjusted from an IEM which I've used for years to the HD800S. I sold all my old amps and primarily use just the Mojo 2 now, but I miss the sound of my old Mainline. It drove the HD800 so well and paired perfectly with the Mojo as a DAC.

Which brings to my next question, if I want some of that tube sound (not too tubey and viscous, but more along the lines of Mainline), but don't want a large footprint on my desktop (I have more of a modern setup now with a glass table). What would be a good sounding, non-intrusive, semi-tube amp with fairly good aesthetics to pair with the HD800S using the Mojo 2 as a DAC?
Xduoo TA-20

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #7,880 of 8,764

I’d go with either a Pathos or a Woo Audio. Both the Aurium and the WA6 are great options, albeit a tad expensive when compared to the TA-20 my fellow head-fier recommended.

Jun 26, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #7,882 of 8,764
Xduoo TA-20

I’d go with either a Pathos or a Woo Audio. Both the Aurium and the WA6 are great options, albeit a tad expensive when compared to the TA-20 my fellow head-fier recommended.
The TA-20 has a great price and I like its small form factor, headfonia says it pairs well with the Mojo as well as the HD800S too. How does it compare to the likes of Woo, Pathos or the Mainline?

Jun 27, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #7,883 of 8,764
It seems Sennheiser has been quietly modifying its headphones overtime. My recent purchased hd800S are very neutral to my ears. Even though I come from my hd6xx and my LCD2 prefaz

I'm not sure how helpful this will be for comparison, but here's a copy of my particular model's certificate:

Sennheiser HD 800 S Graph - Serial No 51881.png

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #7,884 of 8,764
Jul 14, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #7,888 of 8,764
Just re-bought these, having owned them before. Now made in Ireland...ok. I was told of some initial build issues in the Irish batch. Does anyone know if everything has been resolved now?

Also - miss the unique FR graph that used to come with the German ones...

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #7,889 of 8,764
Just re-bought these, having owned them before. Now made in Ireland...ok. I was told of some initial build issues in the Irish batch. Does anyone know if everything has been resolved now?

Also - miss the unique FR graph that used to come with the German ones...
My current pair is made in Ireland and the build is perfect. The FR graph is on the usb stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back