Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 13, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #7,816 of 8,758
Entirely agree with above. I feel the rep they have earned as genre specific is based on chain rather than transducer. I tried them on two different low OI amps and was very unhappy. Listening on my WA2 makes them an amazing set.

May 14, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #7,817 of 8,758
If anyone enjoys the genre, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories sounds better on this set of headphones than I have heard it on any pair, including my VC which I love.

May 14, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #7,818 of 8,758
If anyone enjoys the genre, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories sounds better on this set of headphones than I have heard it on any pair, including my VC which I love.
Have to agree and there’s even thunderous sub bass…if the chain is up to it.

May 17, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #7,820 of 8,758
do i need expensive tube amp to drive this headphones? or atom amp will still sound good?
The 800S can be amp picky. You wont take advantage of the soundstage or detail potential of the headphone if you just use an Atom + for example.

I have used quite a few different amps with the 800S and the best results I got is with the Cayin HA-3A and 2nd best was the Lyr +. I think a tube amp is best for this headphone as it takes the edge off the treble harshness I sometimes got with solid state amps and you will generally get a more holographic presentation.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #7,821 of 8,758
do i need expensive tube amp to drive this headphones? or atom amp will still sound good?
I'm guessing it will depend what you like. I personally didn't love it off a solid state, it was too bright for me. The detail and stage were mostly still there. As posted above, tubes mellowed any harshness and gave it a more holographic presentation.

May 17, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #7,822 of 8,758
What treble harshness? if folks want tubes go 4 it, preferences, but this s/s pigeonholing is just weird.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #7,823 of 8,758

I run the 800S off of my WA22 tube amp and the ultra-clean Benchmark amp. And my iFi Black Label and my Lotoo DAP. I love all those pairings. The headphones' changes quite a bit when switching between those amps, but it's less about better and worse and more about which features of the sound I want to highlight or alter. If you can narrow down what sort of sound you want out of the 800S, then it's easier to pick the right sort of amp for your taste.

May 17, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #7,824 of 8,758
It makes sense to get a good tube amp for the HD800s, that's how you'll get the most out of it.
I would go with the OTL variety for the higher output impedance which translates into a little mid-bass bump and added fullness to offset the dry 'ish' nature of this headphone.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #7,827 of 8,758
I find the HD800S a bit fatiguing even off my bottlehead crack (modded with ho lee specs). Tried denafrips terminator and north star design 192 dac. Same thing.

Any amps you find help make 800S more musical, warm and control treble more? I think prima luna evo 300 did that well but that was just a loaner unit. I may end up grabbing one at some point.

May 22, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #7,829 of 8,758
What's your power distribution/conditioning & cable setup? Is your PC multi-purpose or a dedicated audio design?

PC is multi purpose but going through DI20HE. Power is just a normal power strip.

May 22, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #7,830 of 8,758
I find the HD800S a bit fatiguing even off my bottlehead crack (modded with ho lee specs). Tried denafrips terminator and north star design 192 dac. Same thing.

Any amps you find help make 800S more musical, warm and control treble more? I think prima luna evo 300 did that well but that was just a loaner unit. I may end up grabbing one at some point.
What's your DAC/source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back