Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #4,201 of 8,813
But surely you’d have to concede, that every dac sounds different, it’s just whether you can perceive the difference?

Just based on physics, noise reproduction, even two dacs of the same type would at the infinitesimal level, sound different.

We're probably not even allowed to discuss it outside the Sound Science section. So briefly, I'll just say that I agree that if DACs don't output the exact same signal, there's potential for them to sound different, though the question would remain of what the audible difference is, and IMO that's actually not so easy to determine in a conclusive way. We can err in both perceiving differences that aren't really audibly there, as well as missing differences that really are there (and audible). My comments about DACs and amps in threads like this are just to point out that not everyone has the same impression of what the audible differences in gear are, so people looking for advice on what gear to buy should keep that in mind. Best thing to do is listen for oneself and try to evaluate differences carefully.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #4,202 of 8,813
The whole chain matters, but if one area is most important, is the source. Server or etc...that to me besides the hp themselves, makes the most difference or a more enjoyable experience. Then again it makes the dac and amp go places so I guess they matter too. Who knows?

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #4,203 of 8,813
The whole chain matters, but if one area is most important, is the source. Server or etc...that to me besides the hp themselves, makes the most difference or a more enjoyable experience. Then again it makes the dac and amp go places so I guess they matter too. Who knows?

For me, besides the headphones, the biggest factor by far is the recording quality. With the HD800S, I find most recordings to sound really good, and many sound sublime, but some aren't so good, and occasionally they're unlistenable.

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #4,205 of 8,813
From my experience for a given headphone what matters most is the recording in combination with the DAC/ player.
Then it comes the amp.
Even the most transparent ones like say lake people have some kind of dinstinc flavour.
For me warm amp + resolving dac is good combo. Highs is always louder than mids and it needs something to bring mids and slightly reduce highs... Dac in my opinion dont do that and i think Sennheiser agre. Orpheus 1 have Sabre dacs and tube amp to add little color and HDVA 820 also have Sabre dac + slightly warm amp section. I dont like that tubes cant last forever... I would have gone tube route by now ahhh.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #4,206 of 8,813
Granted, I haven't heard any high-end DACs, but I've heard different amps in the 100-2000+€ price range and to me they make a much bigger difference in sound than DACs.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #4,207 of 8,813
I have to say, when I moved up on my DAC, I was floored on it's impact. At the time I had some mid level stuff feeding an Senn HD-650. After getting the new kit (amp/DAC) the stuff I was now hearing from old Redbook recordings that I had listened to for years was beyond my comprehension. I had to kick the HD650's to the curb as it could no longer compete with my Ether C's. It's what made me go out and get the HD-800s.

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #4,209 of 8,813
Jan 15, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #4,210 of 8,813
HD800 is now officially discontinued. HD800S replaces it when all HD800 stock is gone.

Proof: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609146-REG/Sennheiser_HD_800_HD_800_Dynamic_Open_Back.html

Interesting … maybe HD800S is new Coke and HD800 was old Coke, with the market having demonstrated that it prefers new Coke by a strong margin. Definitely makes sense for them to have kept the HD800 around as a fallback if the market didn't take to the HD800S. I myself never even tried the HD800; from everything I heard, I was pretty the HD800S would be the one I preferred.

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #4,211 of 8,813
Hello Oliver,

Thank you for your email. The HD 800 is not discontinued and is still a current and active product in the market.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Arman Azam

Sennheiser Service Team

Your original correspondence:

Has the HD800 been discontinued? Make of this what you will folks...

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #4,215 of 8,813
I just traded my Mrspeaker Aeon Closed + $300 for a Hd800S, I am looking for a warm balanced amp within $2000 range. What would you guys recommend? Thank you.
Chord tt1? I know it’s more a dac, but it has the juice for Hd800s- ask wazzup - it’s not balanced tho - face palm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back