Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 24, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #3,301 of 8,771
Amazing how the 800S utterly shines like no headphone i have ever heard for classical, but then i completely change the tempo and put on some EDM/electronic music and while it still sounds exceptional i can't help but feel like something is missing. I just pulled the trigger on a pair of used LCD 2 that look to be in terrific almost perfect shape, so once they arrive i'll have to confirm if the 800S is indeed missing something...

I kept the HD800 and Focal Clear for just that reason. It's nice to switch.
The LCD-2 should be a good combination as well ...

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #3,302 of 8,771
Which SS amp would you recommend ?
I have the Pro iCan and they sound amazing on it. I also give them a sub bass boost with the XBass+ and they sound so much fuller. It's a great pairing in my opinion.

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #3,303 of 8,771
I can totally see that argument and respect it. Which amp and dac you using ?
Most of the time its just the iFi iDSD. More than enough power. Sounds wonderful. Best of all, a very small footprint. I use it on the desktop mostly. I also have a full OTL Tube - the "Enterprise" from VE. The HD800S is pretty magical out of both. But then I've found it great out of virtually any amp with a linear output, and enough power output.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #3,304 of 8,771
The HD800S's are special. Even against Utopia's they do things the Utopia's can't. I really wish people could hear them with the Pro iCan and the added sub-bass. It's mind boggling how good they sound. The HD800S's already offer an out of head experience. Now imagine that experience with sub-bass. They are scary good!

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #3,305 of 8,771
The HD800S's are special. Even against Utopia's they do things the Utopia's can't. I really wish people could hear them with the Pro iCan and the added sub-bass. It's mind boggling how good they sound. The HD800S's already offer an out of head experience. Now imagine that experience with sub-bass. They are scary good!
I used to drive the HD800S from V2V1 balanced and that was fine for me. I only listen to classical. Then I tried them with Pro-Ject head box RS and preferred the SQ. Slimmer, leaner, purer sound, more focussed.
The Pro-Ject is hybrid design with variable impedance setting.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #3,306 of 8,771

What do you think they do better than Utopia beyond sound stage?

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #3,307 of 8,771
What do you think they do better than Utopia beyond sound stage?
With the added sub bass the sense of realism and depth to sound is amazing and to my ears best the Utopia's. They sound more full bodied and even more 3D like. The bass goes deeper and is more layered as well. The Pro iCan with the first setting of XBass+ on let's the HD800S's shine.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #3,308 of 8,771
With the added sub bass the sense of realism and depth to sound is amazing and to my ears best the Utopia's. They sound more full bodied and even more 3D like. The bass goes deeper and is more layered as well. The Pro iCan with the first setting of XBass+ on let's the HD800S's shine.

These above are true, but it lacks those dynamic punches ROFLMAO. Now, if we can have 800s+Utopia to have a BaBy, like combining both into 1

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #3,311 of 8,771
Dont forget super costly not maintanable headband that when wear out will cost arm and leg to replace! Sennheiser only company that cares about every detail unlike most companys.

Stax does care too :)

Why can’t Focal create a Utopia with soundstage? $4000 and you can’t R&D a soundstage?

Compare to their Grande Utopia, it is nothing :D. Wait until you hear Focal Utopia Grande headphones or whenever it comes out

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #3,314 of 8,771
I have the Pro iCan and they sound amazing on it. I also give them a sub bass boost with the XBass+ and they sound so much fuller. It's a great pairing in my opinion.
Just to make sure: Which branch of the iFi Pro iCAN do you use, the SS or the tubes? When do you experience the nice synergies with the HD 800 S, one of them or both?

From your gear list I see you have the Hugo 2. What are your experiences with the Hugo 2 and HD 800 S, without the iCAN as compared to with it?

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #3,315 of 8,771
Dont forget super costly not maintanable headband that when wear out will cost arm and leg to replace! Sennheiser only company that cares about every detail unlike most companys.
Sorry to say but I don't agree with that. They're like other mainstream companies who give a damn for their high-end customers. I'm speaking of course from my experience.
Audeze is really a company one can fully trust on. Eyes really wide shut.

YMMV of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back