Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,251 of 8,813
I finally got a pair of the 800S. It's too soon to post any impressions, but they definitely have the most expansive soundstage I've ever heard.
Quick question to you long time owners. How long does it take for the treble to smooth out? Out of the box, it's a little cold and harsh to my ears. It's not Beyerdynamic harsh, but it's a little hot. Right now it reminds me a little of my old Grado 325's, which I had to sell because of the treble.

Forty years of audio equipment buying experience tells me it takes a week or so to accurately assess speakers and headphones. It's not all about break in, it may also involve your brain and hearing adjusting to a different sound signature. I base this assumption on the fact that some of the headphones that impressed me in the beginning, fall out of favor after I used them for a while. A good example would be the MDR-Z7,HE-560 and the TH-900. In the end, I sold all  there for various sonic reasons.
The HD-800S and Utopia had the opposite effect with me. Both seem to improve with time, especially the Utopia.That's why I don't take a lot of stock in speaker and headphone reviews made after only a few days of use.

Just my assumption.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #2,252 of 8,813
Yea EQ is for the birds.

Not sure where that came from.  The question was whether burn-in would make a difference - and thats what I answered.  EQ would of course be another very viable option - but would depend on the users comfort with creating a workable EQ profile.  I use it as a tool all the time.  But not with the HD800S - thats a headphone which ticks all my personal boxes with its default signature.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #2,253 of 8,813
But . . . but . . . when my brain burns in and I get used to a headphone after a week or so, I start to get bored!  
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #2,254 of 8,813
  But . . . but . . . when my brain burns in and I get used to a headphone after a week or so, I start to get bored!  
biggrin.gif

I don't agree with that. It might be related that you listen non-stop the same type of music/artists? 

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #2,255 of 8,813
I'm being lighthearted and humorous, as signified by the "But . . . but . . . " and the smiley emoticon.  I am shining light upon the universal head-fier's constant conundrum, the search for better living via something as humble as a simple headphone.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #2,256 of 8,813

Not sure where that came from.  The question was whether burn-in would make a difference - and thats what I answered.  EQ would of course be another very viable option - but would depend on the users comfort with creating a workable EQ profile. .

I'd say the best is to try first without any modification and EQ and see what issues are still bothersome after a while and only, it's OK to decide if issues are a dealbreaker or not and in the second case , fixing the issues are the way to go. 

My personal experience is : I own my HD800 since 2013, lived with it during 2 years, tried a bunch of dacs and amps; I began to apply mods during the third year and created my own mod during the fourth year and now I just finished the work with a bit of EQ.  Sounds very much like end game now. It was a long butr very interesting journey :) 

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #2,257 of 8,813

Give yourself about 2-3 days of only listening to the HD800S.  You'll note quite a few changes in that time.  Is it burn-in?  Well yes - but not the headphones.  Each time you listen, the brain stores the information, and automatically compensates - basically applies its own filter on what sounds OK.  As you get more used to a certain signature, it generally becomes easier to listen to.

And for those who scoff at the idea, here's something you can do yourself.  Take a slower warmer headphone, and a faster brighter one (eg HD600/650 vs Grado or Beyer).  Listen first to the Senns for about half an hour - sounds slightly warm, perfect tonality, great vocals.  Now switch to the Grado/Beyer with same music. If its a Grado they will sound unnaturally bright, narrow stage, bass-light, harsh.  Within about half an hour, you'll start hearing them as exciting, mid-forward, edgy, energetic.  You won't note the missing bass so much, and the staging won't seem as much narrow as just being on stage (which is pretty cool for rock).  Did the drivers change in that 1/2 hour - no, your brain compensated. Now switch back to the Senns, and they'll seem slow, overly warm, maybe a bit dull, much wider stage, a bit veiled. After another half an hour or so that will change slowly back to your original impressions.

So in short - give your brain a chance to compensate properly (and leave other headphones alone while you do it - back and forth switching does not help).  If they are still overly bright after 2-3 days, they simply aren't for you.

Best advice I heard in a long time :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #2,258 of 8,813
Not sure where that came from.  The question was whether burn-in would make a difference - and thats what I answered.  EQ would of course be another very viable option - but would depend on the users comfort with creating a workable EQ profile.  I use it as a tool all the time.  But not with the HD800S - thats a headphone which ticks all my personal boxes with its default signature.

I was actually responding to snowpuppy (guy I quoted) just making a light hearted statement. He expressed his preference of not altering his pictures or his sound and taking more of a purist approach. I'm actually the same way, no real reason.. I just never eq or use any dsp for that matter (if I can avoid it). But I totally understand why some would EQ as it allows them to more closely cater the sound to their individual tastes.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #2,259 of 8,813
I've just received my 2nd pair of HD800S after making the mistake of selling my first pair.
This pair have a serial number on the headband like my old HD800 but I'm pretty sure my first HD800S didn't have a serial number.
Is that correct, did this change at some point?
Thanks, James.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #2,260 of 8,813
I've owned the Z1R for nearly 3 months and the HD800S much longer.  I'm in between amps right now, but my past ones with these headphones include MicroZOTL2.0-S, iDSD BL and Sony TA-Z1HES.  For past week I've been borrowing a friend's Headamp GSX-2 which has been my favorite pairing with both of these headphones, no surprise there, however there was more bass presence with the MicroZOTL when using either headphone.  GSX is not necessarily bass-light, just that there was more emphasis with that tube amp.  GSX tightens up Z1R bass.  The warmth of the MicroZ gives a bit more body to HD800S.  I could live with either amp.....who couldn't 
tongue.gif

I primarily listen to jazz and I like my mids to be more up front and forward.  I place treble detail, air and transparency above bass, but I like a taste of bass like everyone else.  It took me a while as a HD800 and Grado guy to properly enjoy the Z1R's warmer tone.  I just did a back to back listening session starting with the Z1R and then HD800S.  I did find myself missing a bit of the bass when I made that switch, but then my brain was ok without it soon thereafter.  I can see why someone would want both headphones.  In general, I prefer the timbre and tonality of the HD800S to the Z1R, but I do not find them bad on the Z1R.  Z1R has plenty of details, just not as forward as HD800S.  As @ubs28 mentioned, I think these are both technically good as designed by their respective teams.  For jazz I prefer the HD800S.  For those occasions when I want to listen to reggae, rock or electronica then I reach for Z1R, especially with GS-X. When I had the MicroZOTL-2.0S, the HD800S could handle those more bass heavy genres even better and I wouldn't necessarily need to reach for Z1R.  So your amp might help with your decision in addition to your favorite types of music.    

If I had to keep one it would be the HD800S, but I think the two together are an excellent combo. 

Quote:
  Any advice please?
Especially from someone who have listened to both HPs.

I'm about to pull the trigger and still debating between the HD 800S (not 800) and Sony MDR-Z1R.
I know all about the merits and de-merits of open and closed back HPs, so let's not debate that.
Also please no advice on getting out and listen to them; I live in the Caribbean, we don't have access to high-end audios where I can just walk in and listen.

I'm just hoping someone can give me their own opinion based on use of these headphones.
Thank you.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,261 of 8,813
I'm on my 2nd pair as well.  Both of mine had serial numbers on the headband.  My first one was an early one bought from Jan Meier who I think was one of the earliest vendors to get the HD800S out for sale.

I've just received my 2nd pair of HD800S after making the mistake of selling my first pair.
This pair have a serial number on the headband like my old HD800 but I'm pretty sure my first HD800S didn't have a serial number.
Is that correct, did this change at some point?
Thanks, James.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back