Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 23, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #2,221 of 8,774
I already have the HD800S but have recently tried out the Utopia fed from Chord TT. After about 5 minutes I gave up. The sound was so tight, hard and overlit it was unpleasant. Afterwards I thought I must be wrong given its reviews so I tried it again a week later but with the same results.

Well, the HD 800 S is kinda blurry and fussy so I won't be surpised that it sounds harder and tighter.  

Maybe try it with the Chord Dave which sounds less digital than the other Chord DAC's?

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #2,222 of 8,774

Quote:
HD 800 S cannot render even classical music properly as it is too blurry / fuzzy

While I can understand and even expect that the Utopias have better resolution than the HD800S I disagree with your assertion that the HD800 S cannot render classical music properly due to being blurry.  Just because they are not as good does not mean they are not doing it well.  So I suppose unless we spend $4000 we can't hear properly rendered classical music .  Not true.  A pair of $80 Grados do great with classical music.  And yes I have heard classical music live many times.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #2,223 of 8,774
Sure. I don't say classical music is unlistenable with the HD 800 and the HD 800 S ofcourse.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,224 of 8,774
Sure. I don't say classical music is unlistenable with the HD 800 and the HD 800 S ofcourse.

I bought the HD 800 specifically for listening to classical music. I believe I made the right choice, for me.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #2,225 of 8,774
I bought the HD 800 specifically for listening to classical music. I believe I made the right choice, for me.

For the money the HD 800 is hard to beat in my opinion.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #2,226 of 8,774

While I can understand and even expect that the Utopias have better resolution than the HD800S I disagree with your assertion that the HD800 S cannot render classical music properly due to being blurry.  Just because they are not as good does not mean they are not doing it well.  So I suppose unless we spend $4000 we can't hear properly rendered classical music .  Not true.  A pair of $80 Grados do great with classical music.  And yes I have heard classical music live many times.

I have to disagree, HD800S may have it's flaws, same as the Utopia.. but the Utopias tiny, convoluted and claustrophobic soundstage make a large orchestra very hard to keep up with. I think "blurry and fussy" is the wrong terminology too for the 800S by the way.

Having had many hours on both headphones.. both 800S and the 800 are far ahead of the Utopia in classical music. Don't let the much higher (overpriced) price tag give you the idea that the Utopia is better, believe me it isn't .

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,227 of 8,774

I will have to agree with you on the first part of this. Also finding reference quality classical recordings is really a nightmare - especially those that retain all details while still retaining a black background, e.g. inaudible noise floor, and recorded at a location with excellent room acoustics. Not to mention the performance of the orchestra. These are all aspects, which is in my opinion too often forgotten even on many so-called audiophile releases.
I could perfectly live with some of these releases on my HD650 or the Grado HF1 which I'd call blurry and fuzzy by comparison, with HF1 the worst of them. But definitely not for the HD800S. IF the recordings are of proper quality. I can recommend something like the collections "Ports of Call" or "Reveries" by Reference Recordings as excellent recordings with an excellent conductor and orchestra, even though neither of these were recorded like yesterday.

EDIT: Just for reference, I have NOT heard the Focal Utopia, but I plan to do at some point. I don't doubt the Utopia is better at some points, but my point was just that we need a frame of reference of the recording itself, because a lot of these are simply just not good recordings.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #2,228 of 8,774
I too totally disgree about the HD800 or HD800 S being blurry or fuzzy even compared to the Utopia.
I owned the Utopia for several weeks and tried them out with a variety of equipment and did numerous head to head comparisons.
Like I noted in a previous post, the Utopias do a few things better than the 800/800 S, but on the other hand, I still feel there are some things the 800/800 S still do just as well or better, and for a MUCH lower price.
In the end, I sold the Utopias.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #2,229 of 8,774
I kind of agree about the 800S's being "blurry" at times, although that's not the word that comes to mind for me. Sometimes, they seem a bit diffuse or too spread out. I guess it's what some refer to as "unnatural soundstage." There are simply times when my Alpha Primes are the better, or more enjoyable, headphone.

Regardless, the detail, imaging, and overall presentation still make them the best cans I own. "Blurry" suggests to me that they lack detail, which is totally not my experience. If anything thing, they're detail monsters.

Just my thoughts...

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2,230 of 8,774
The only way the 800S sounds "blurry" is if you confuse extra bass power in the mix to mean "blurriness." 

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #2,231 of 8,774
Lots of interesting posts on this.  From my experience with the HD800 S, an opinion only, whether or not the sound is diffuse seems to depend on the recording.  Some recordings are just that way and the HD800S will show that.  On my Grado RS1s just about everything will sound close and intimate even when it probably should not.  But on some recordings that are more diffuse the Grados end up being a pretty good match.  Speakers will sometimes sound diffuse due to their distance on some recordings.  Not to say the HD800 S sound like speakers but more so compared to other headphones I have tried.  I have not heard the Utopias but was hoping to incase there was something even better to upgrade to.  No so sure now based on these comments.  I definitely would not buy them blindly. 

I will add a caveat to $80 Grado's sounding great with classical.  Only small ensemble classical.  They do not do as well with orchestra.  Not even my RS1s.  A great soundstage along with other things is very important for classical.  That is why I bought the HD800 S and they are much better than the RS1 on orchestra and as a bonus every other genre I have.  Will be a couple years before I can get another pair of >$1k headphones which is a good thing because I do love my HD800 S and they are good all-rounders.  Going to spend a few k on upgrading sources and amp first.  Glad to spend more on the best components I can for the HD800 S.  They will make it money well spent.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #2,232 of 8,774
Lots of interesting posts on this.  From my experience with the HD800 S, an opinion only, whether or not the sound is diffuse seems to depend on the recording.  Some recordings are just that way and the HD800S will show that.  On my Grado RS1s just about everything will sound close and intimate even when it probably should not.  But on some recordings that are more diffuse the Grados end up being a pretty good match.  Speakers will sometimes sound diffuse due to their distance on some recordings.  Not to say the HD800 S sound like speakers but more so compared to other headphones I have tried.  I have not heard the Utopias but was hoping to incase there was something even better to upgrade to.  No so sure now based on these comments.  I definitely would not buy them blindly. 

I will add a caveat to $80 Grado's sounding great with classical.  Only small ensemble classical.  They do not do as well with orchestra.  Not even my RS1s.  A great soundstage along with other things is very important for classical.  That is why I bought the HD800 S and they are much better than the RS1 on orchestra and as a bonus every other genre I have.  Will be a couple years before I can get another pair of >$1k headphones which is a good thing because I do love my HD800 S and they are good all-rounders.  Going to spend a few k on upgrading sources and amp first.  Glad to spend more on the best components I can for the HD800 S.  They will make it money well spent.

Great perspective and post.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,233 of 8,774

I will have to agree with you on the first part of this. Also finding reference quality classical recordings is really a nightmare - especially those that retain all details while still retaining a black background, e.g. inaudible noise floor, and recorded at a location with excellent room acoustics. Not to mention the performance of the orchestra. These are all aspects, which is in my opinion too often forgotten even on many so-called audiophile releases.
I could perfectly live with some of these releases on my HD650 or the Grado HF1 which I'd call blurry and fuzzy by comparison, with HF1 the worst of them. But definitely not for the HD800S. IF the recordings are of proper quality. I can recommend something like the collections "Ports of Call" or "Reveries" by Reference Recordings as excellent recordings with an excellent conductor and orchestra, even though neither of these were recorded like yesterday.

EDIT: Just for reference, I have NOT heard the Focal Utopia, but I plan to do at some point. I don't doubt the Utopia is better at some points, but my point was just that we need a frame of reference of the recording itself, because a lot of these are simply just not good recordings.

May i suggest one, sabastien knauer newest bach and sons.
Aahhhh bach

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,234 of 8,774
I finally got a pair of the 800S. It's too soon to post any impressions, but they definitely have the most expansive soundstage I've ever heard.
Quick question to you long time owners. How long does it take for the treble to smooth out? Out of the box, it's a little cold and harsh to my ears. It's not Beyerdynamic harsh, but it's a little hot. Right now it reminds me a little of my old Grado 325's, which I had to sell because of the treble.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,235 of 8,774
Max richter with daniel hope isnt bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

• jcn3
Back