Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 12, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,176 of 8,777
How about $22.51...just add a 15' (4.57 m) extension...Canare Star Quad Cable (I actually use this cable for DIY).... http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/506867-TecNec-ICOMX4-MF-15  ...I'm sure there must be something similar in Europe...

Plus a boutique cable probably would not hold up as you say " it will be pushed back and forth on a wooden floor"...better off with tried and true microphone cable, flexable and resilient.:smile:

Yea this is the smartest route I think.

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #2,177 of 8,777
Thanks for the suggestion. Now, why didn't I think of that?!
biggrin.gif

I suppose the locking Neutrik connector would have no problem mating with the Sennheiser connector? I.e., the thing you push back to release the locking mechanism between two Neutrik connectors would not make it unusuable with a non-Neutrik/non-locking XLR? I suppose I could replace the Sennheiser plug with a Neutrik one, but that hurts me a little to perform that surgery...

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #2,178 of 8,777
Was thinking yesterday, why did they not cover those metal mesh fins with the metal grill as seen in the middle of the headphone. That would have been better for durability and I doubt would have affected the sound signature or the soundstage.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #2,179 of 8,777
Oh but it would.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2,181 of 8,777

I would affect what on the headphone?

The sound, most likely. Open back headphones are really finicky when it comes to this kind of thing. On these and the 700s you can cause a pretty significant change in the sound just by putting your hand within about six inches of the outside of the ear cup.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2,182 of 8,777
  The sound, most likely. Open back headphones are really finicky when it comes to this kind of thing. On these and the 700s you can cause a pretty significant change in the sound just by putting your hand within about six inches of the outside of the ear cup.

Yeah I agree with that, it really does make a surprising difference. However I guess changing it to the metal grill could change it

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,184 of 8,777
I've just ordered a pair of the HD800S for the second time. I had my first pair when they were first released but due to circumstances at the time I was listening a lot more on the go and didn't seem to have chance to enjoy them.
I've been using my HD600s again recently but I just couldn't resist having these to enjoy all over again.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #2,186 of 8,777
I dont like the silver metal fins as they pick up fingerprints and aren't that durable but I agree.. the sound would change. Just gotta be careful when handling it.

I remember having my HD800 and upon receiving the HD800S I noticed that silver fin or open grill had a plastic clear layer on the newer pair. To my observation it seems like some older pairs didn't have this plastic sealant. It made it more prone to finger prints, darkening of the metal, and possible rust.

I wouldn't recommend anyone cleaning with 99% isopropyl alcohol, or if you do, do so carefully. I did in the past instead of lightly brushing with a wet microfiber cloth and that may have eaten some of the plastic away maybe?

I've just ordered a pair of the HD800S for the second time. I had my first pair when they were first released but due to circumstances at the time I was listening a lot more on the go and didn't seem to have chance to enjoy them.
I've been using my HD600s again recently but I just couldn't resist having these to enjoy all over again.

Happy for you. I'm sure it'll make you replace the HD600 in no time.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #2,189 of 8,777
Mine didn't affect the sound, it was a tiny mark that got scraped by the headphone connector. I only kept the headphone about a month after that then sold it because I didn't like the original HD800 sound. Right after I did it I sent an email to Sennheiser asking if they could fix the mark but never received a reply for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back