Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 9, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,161 of 8,774
  I'm glad. 
smile.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #2,162 of 8,774
  I don't feel attacked at all. But thanks for checking.

I definitely think that for certain genres like metal or hip hop some orthos would be better. But I still think that on soundstage the HD800S is still better. Seems like whatever I say someone will take it out of context and make into something else. I never said the HD800 is best at everything, you just like to put words inna my big mouth. 

The HD800S soundstage is just insane. 

Right now I'm waffling between upping to the 800S or the Focal Elear and honestly the question is largely rooted in whether I want more dynamics or more soundstage. I've heard the HD800 in the past and my reaction was one of "these are comfy, and I understand why they're so highly revered, but not for me." The 800s, meanwhile, made everything fall into place.

I don't listen to classical. I'm a metal/rap guy, which seems to be unusual at summit-fi levels like these genres don't get any benefit from better equipment (they do), and it's definitely true that what would work for my music is not what would work for others.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #2,163 of 8,774

Right now I'm waffling between upping to the 800S or the Focal Elear and honestly the question is largely rooted in whether I want more dynamics or more soundstage. I've heard the HD800 in the past and my reaction was one of "these are comfy, and I understand why they're so highly revered, but not for me." The 800s, meanwhile, made everything fall into place.

I don't listen to classical. I'm a metal/rap guy, which seems to be unusual at summit-fi levels like these genres don't get any benefit from better equipment (they do), and it's definitely true that what would work for my music is not what would work for others.

Always compromises.  Agree that those genres can benefit from better equipment.  Especially progressive metal. Others will hopefully chime in on his but perhaps the right amp may tilt the HD800 S to more dynamics. Perhaps a high output impedance OTL amp like the Felix Audio Elise and rolling in some dynamic tubes.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2,164 of 8,774

Always compromises.  Agree that those genres can benefit from better equipment.  Especially progressive metal. Others will hopefully chime in on his but perhaps the right amp may tilt the HD800 S to more dynamics. Perhaps a high output impedance OTL amp like the Felix Audio Elise and rolling in some dynamic tubes.

Oh I'm not saying the 800S aren't dynamic and wonderful (they absolutely are), just that while the Elear doesn't have that soundstage or space, it's more impactful. I tried it with an Elemental Watson, which drove them DAMN well, and I'm at a point where I just need to pick which of the two I want. One will be my endgame. Both would be perfect in their own way. 

I will say that the new wave of post-metal, in particular the shoegaze/black metal combo, do incredibly well with good equipment. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,165 of 8,774
My two cents, although not huge into metal but have some appreciation, the hd800S could be perceived positively as its mid detail and soundstage can handle and separate the busy ness (sic) of that genre. While I might suggest the more detail in dac amp the better with hd800S and solid state may also be considered. Course the metal listener may agree to disagree.

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #2,166 of 8,774
  Oh I'm not saying the 800S aren't dynamic and wonderful (they absolutely are), just that while the Elear doesn't have that soundstage or space, it's more impactful. I tried it with an Elemental Watson, which drove them DAMN well, and I'm at a point where I just need to pick which of the two I want. One will be my endgame. Both would be perfect in their own way. 

I will say that the new wave of post-metal, in particular the shoegaze/black metal combo, do incredibly well with good equipment. 

Got it.  Wish you the best in your decision.  Good news is it will be lots of fun which ever one you pick.  They will both bring you great music once you settle in, stop analyzing, and just listen.

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #2,167 of 8,774
My two cents, although not huge into metal but have some appreciation, the hd800S could be perceived positively as its mid detail and soundstage can handle and separate the busy ness (sic) of that genre. While I might suggest the more detail in dac amp the better with hd800S and solid state may also be considered. Course the metal listener may agree to disagree.

I actually tend to like to "sand off" my headphones if they're already heavily detailed. I listen kinda loud and for long periods (not dangerously loud, just a bit elevated) and an SS amp with something like these I fear would result in fatigue pretty quickly.

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #2,168 of 8,774
Nicely put.  I wrestled with a pair of Grado RS1s and a pair of ruthlessly revealing Shure 940s for years.  Have gone from wrestling to enjoying the Shure 940s.  In fact it was at a point where most other headphones sounded drab lacking illumination and transparency.  I have not heard the 650s but have often wondered if I would struggle with their so called darker sound.  That said I really do not know since I have not heard them but want to.  I did hear a pair of Audio Quest Nighthawks and did not like them.  They were not nearly as transparent as I need in order to be pleased with a pair of headphones.  I was ready to plop down the money on a pair of LCD-X as I had dreamed of owning them for months.  The audition of a pair changed my mind completely.  Still want to find a pair of planars that I can love.  Really want a variety of excellent headphones that I love in my collection.  Macedonianhero has convinced me to try a pair of HiFiman 1000V.2s. 

Try an updated pair of EL-8 open back headphones. Everyone has their own preferences but I'll simply say for musicality and pure enjoyment.. I prefer the EL-8o more than any other headphone. Shocking I know. Beating my LCD4, 800S, RS2e etc etc

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #2,169 of 8,774
Try an updated pair of EL-8 open back headphones. Everyone has their own preferences but I'll simply say for musicality and pure enjoyment.. I prefer the EL-8o more than any other headphone. Shocking I know. Beating my LCD4, 800S, RS2e etc etc

The EL-8s are SERIOUSLY underrated around here. Everyone gets all up in arms over that treble drop but man I loved my pair. I kinda miss 'em. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #2,170 of 8,774
The EL-8s are SERIOUSLY underrated around here. Everyone gets all up in arms over that treble drop but man I loved my pair. I kinda miss 'em. 

Yea both me and my girlfriend went to two shows together one after another before we both purchased ours (yes we both did).. and after listening to pretty much everything out there, we always came back to the EL8 for the one that gave us the most pure enjoyment. It does not get the respect it deserves here at headfi you're right.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #2,171 of 8,774

Any music that is well recorded, benefits from better equipment. These days a lot of modern metal music has magnificent production (opeth for example).

One thing about the HD800S is that it responds well to eq, as long as you don't punch the bass up too much. For metal, I can understand how the soundstaging of the HD800 might win you over against the Elear's grunt. I think with the right eq you might be surprised at how close you can get the HD800 to where you might want it to be in other regards.

HipHop is a little more complicated. I think the greater slam of the elear might win me over, especially as you can only eq the bass so far on the HD800S before you notice an unacceptable degree of distortion. Also the narrower soundstahe of the elear is less a factor, since most rap/hiphop has a much sparser production. Not too mention that a lot of rap is mixed with the purpose of sounding good on crappy mid-bass heavy, narrow soundstaged headphones.
In general, I find it hard to decide on a headphone unless I listen to acoustic music. I am much more sure what acoustic is supposed to sound like. Highly processed modern electronic stuff, while I may enjoy it, is harder to say what reference is supposed to sound like. Unless of course you are the person who created it in the first place. But if you don't listen to much acoustic music then go with whichever headphone makes you forget about the gear. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #2,172 of 8,774
Try an updated pair of EL-8 open back headphones. Everyone has their own preferences but I'll simply say for musicality and pure enjoyment.. I prefer the EL-8o more than any other headphone. Shocking I know. Beating my LCD4, 800S, RS2e etc

Never considered them but sounds like I should heard them.  Could be a good complementary can for my collection as I have no planars.  Also I would imagine that the EL-8 are much more comfortable than the ones that cost more than 1K.  I simply will not get one of those Audeze due to discomfort alone.  EL-8 could be a different story for comfort and maybe even sound.  Appreciate the recommendation.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #2,173 of 8,774
  Any music that is well recorded, benefits from better equipment. These days a lot of modern metal music has magnificent production (opeth for example).

One thing about the HD800S is that it responds well to eq, as long as you don't punch the bass up too much. For metal, I can understand how the soundstaging of the HD800 might win you over against the Elear's grunt. I think with the right eq you might be surprised at how close you can get the HD800 to where you might want it to be in other regards.

HipHop is a little more complicated. I think the greater slam of the elear might win me over, especially as you can only eq the bass so far on the HD800S before you notice an unacceptable degree of distortion. Also the narrower soundstahe of the elear is less a factor, since most rap/hiphop has a much sparser production. Not too mention that a lot of rap is mixed with the purpose of sounding good on crappy mid-bass heavy, narrow soundstaged headphones.
In general, I find it hard to decide on a headphone unless I listen to acoustic music. I am much more sure what acoustic is supposed to sound like. Highly processed modern electronic stuff, while I may enjoy it, is harder to say what reference is supposed to sound like. Unless of course you are the person who created it in the first place. But if you don't listen to much acoustic music then go with whichever headphone makes you forget about the gear. 

Well put.  One thing I like about the HD800S is it makes me forget about the gear on acoustic music which is the highest priority for me in headphones.  Listened to a new Itzhak Perlman CD on HD800S and I was blown away at the "presence" of all the instruments.  Just an amazing natural soundstage.  Like I was in the hall listening pretty close to the stage. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #2,174 of 8,774
I need a longer XLR-4 cable for my HD800S, but definitely not at any price - let's say around £200. You can call it "budget", but the build quality should be decent, and I'd prefer something else than heatshrink at the Y-joint. The reason why I'd keep it budget is due to the length, which I know makes the price explode no matter what I do
evil_smiley.gif
. I need 17-19 feet (!) which I haven't seen anyone really offer.
Any recommendations? I'd prefer it to be fairly flexible and sleeved due to the fact that it will be pushed back and forth on a wooden floor. Actually something like the CH800S cable in a longer length would be excellent for me, but don't think this exists (?).
Preferably UK/EU due to import tax and duties.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,175 of 8,774
  I need a longer XLR-4 cable for my HD800S, but definitely not at any price - let's say around £200. ......

How about $22.51...just add a 15' (4.57 m) extension...Canare Star Quad Cable (I actually use this cable for DIY).... http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/506867-TecNec-ICOMX4-MF-15  ...I'm sure there must be something similar in Europe...

Plus a boutique cable probably would not hold up as you say " it will be pushed back and forth on a wooden floor"...better off with tried and true microphone cable, flexable and resilient.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back