Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 25, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #2,086 of 8,774
I was in the market for nearfield speakers (I already have Tannoy (k701 sound but flatter in the uppermids) and Celestion (HD800S like but distortion in low mids) bookshelf speakers but want something newer than 15 years ago).

I figured I would be content with the HD800S signature in a nearfield environment as I will not crank anywhere near reference volume in this room.

Would like to try studio monitors instead of hi fi monitors.

Ended up with Sennheiser's very own Neumann KH120 powered studio monitors.

Yes sir... Sennheiser mids. No regrets. I never heard a Sennheiser that didn't resolve the rhythm section in the lower mids. All consumer speakers fail to me. These KH120 active studio monitors don't ... I can't believe the bass they can crank for such a tiny woofer also.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #2,087 of 8,774
I just put in an order with the great guys at plussound . It's a beautiful tri metal design and terminated for the WM1Z 4.4mm balanced pentaconn. Now hopefully I can find a dealer in the USA that can give me some sort of deal on the headphones themselves. :yum:

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #2,088 of 8,774
  Guys, I really need some advice as this is doing my head in. When I listen to a frequency sweep, it seems that I have a very strong "dip" at 6.5-7 kHz in the left earpiece, and a very similar, but smaller dip in the right ear piece. I was first questioning my source (AQVox USB2D/A), but my recent acquisition - Sony TA-ZH1ES fed by an Oppo UDP-203 via coaxial does the EXACT same thing.
I do not see this dip from the frequency measurement supplied with my HD800S.

Would anyone be so kind to perform a little test for me, by telling me if anything funny or weird happens at the 6-8 KHz range? You can use this for testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

I don't think it is my hearing - my HD650 seems to have no problems by comparison, but not as clean at higher frequencies than the HD800S otherwise are.

Anyone ?
frown.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #2,089 of 8,774

Guys, I really need some advice as this is doing my head in. When I listen to a frequency sweep, it seems that I have a very strong "dip" at 6.5-7 kHz in the left earpiece, and a very similar, but smaller dip in the right ear piece. I was first questioning my source (AQVox USB2D/A), but my recent acquisition - Sony TA-ZH1ES fed by an Oppo UDP-203 via coaxial does the EXACT same thing.
I do not see this dip from the frequency measurement supplied with my HD800S.

Would anyone be so kind to perform a little test for me, by telling me if anything funny or weird happens at the 6-8 KHz range? You can use this for testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

I don't think it is my hearing - my HD650 seems to have no problems by comparison, but not as clean at higher frequencies than the HD800S otherwise are.

Yeah mine had a dip around there too, at around 6.5-7.5 kHz. But that seems to be normal as Tyll's measurements for the HD800S also has a dip in that area. If you are talking about the frequency response graph that Sennheiser gives you, I believe that is a reference to what Sennheiser's target is for the HD800S and so doesn't represent the actual compensated frequency response for the HD800S.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #2,090 of 8,774
Thanks a lot for testing, much appreciated.
I did a little more experimenting. It turns out it is because my head is not symmetrical enough, so the fit on the left and right side is not completely the same. I can help it out by wiggling my ears and the ~7Khz re-appears in the left ear. Think I gotta experiment a little more with fitting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #2,091 of 8,774
Thanks a lot for testing, much appreciated.
I did a little more experimenting. It turns out it is because my head is not symmetrical enough, so the fit on the left and right side is not completely the same. I can help it out by wiggling my ears and the ~7Khz re-appears in the left ear. Think I gotta experiment a little more with fitting. :)

It's to do with left handedness or right handedness a lot as well.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #2,093 of 8,774
Just a question about the balanced cable that comes with the HD 800S...

Is it the same construction as the CH 800S cable which has silver coating?

If not, where can I buy a stock HD 800S balanced cable?

As far as my experience, they were all 26-28 gauge silver plated copper wires.

I've taken apart several HD800 & HD800S cables.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #2,094 of 8,774

Just a question about the balanced cable that comes with the HD 800S...

Is it the same construction as the CH 800S cable which has silver coating?

If not, where can I buy a stock HD 800S balanced cable?

As far as my experience, they were all 26-28 gauge silver plated copper wires.

I've taken apart several HD800 & HD800S cables.

Good to know...thanks for the clarification.  The retail for the CH 800S cable is $400 which is nuts.

I have a stock HD800 cable.  Is it easy to mod the cable for balanced connection?
Can I just swap the TRS end for a 4-pin XLR connection?

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #2,095 of 8,774
That's nuts indeed. Not even worth $150 TBH.

Yes, you can modify the TRS 1/4" (6.3mm) out with a 4-pin XLR (male). It's possible since the connectors goes to each side with a positive and negative wire. The return or negative wire simply just connects at the plug end.

Get a multimeter, set it to continuity, and check which connector pin goes to which wire after you remove the TRS plug. On the Sennheiser connector the side with the bump at the tip of the connector is the positive pin.

Pin 1: L-
Pin 2: L+
Pin 3: R-
Pin 4: R+

Glue it up, put two layers of heatshrink over and you should be good. The second layer should be slightly longer so the Neutrik XLR plug has something to clamp on internally. The boot already acts as a strain relief but feel free to do whichever you feel works best.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,096 of 8,774
That's nuts indeed. Not even worth $150 TBH.

Yes, you can modify the TRS 1/4" (6.3mm) out with a 4-pin XLR (male). It's possible since the connectors goes to each side with a positive and negative wire. The return or negative wire simply just connects at the plug end.

Get a multimeter, set it to continuity, and check which connector pin goes to which wire after you remove the TRS plug. On the Sennheiser connector the side with the bump at the tip of the connector is the positive pin.

Pin 1: L-
Pin 2: L+
Pin 3: R-
Pin 4: R+

Glue it up, put two layers of heatshrink over and you should be good. The second layer should be slightly longer so the Neutrik XLR plug has something to clamp on internally. The boot already acts as a strain relief but feel free to do whichever you feel works best.

This will be my first attempt at modding a connector...seems pretty straightforward...thanks for the tutorial!

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #2,097 of 8,774
Alright, I think it's time for my HD 800S review (before I had the HD 700) this is not going to be the best review, as I do not know all the technical terms. Only really got to the "Audiophile" area a few months ago. Anyway, I'll start with build quality. The AMP/DAC I have are:

Schiit Valhalla 2 (stock tubes)
Schiit Modi Multibit

Build Quality

Now, I have seen this mentioned many times in the past (even on this thread) mentioning about the "Plastic" used on the HD 800S and that at this price range, more premium materials should be used. Too some extent I do agree with those people, however I think calling it "Plastic" is not really fair, considering it is 60% Glass and 40% Plastic, I would say it was more Glass than Plastic. This gives it a light feel to it and makes it incredible light on the head, helping for my long listening/game times. Furthermore, I feel that this does not weigh any more than the HD 700 which is much smaller than this headphone. Most of the build is amazing though. However I feel the clips holding the headband are too weak and should be thicker or made of metal, as I think they could easily snap when replacing the headband. Also, I think the metal mesh should be better supported on the inside of the headphone, as it can easily indent into the headphone.

Also I think it would have been better to put the cable connectors (the two that go into the headphone) actually in the headphone (somehow) rather than sticking out the side, as compared to the HD 700, they are much longer.

Comfort

Comfort is amazing, I would say it is better than the HD 700, which is known for being an extremely comfortable headphone. The massive ear cups allow my ears to easily fit inside without any problems. Additionally, the headband is also extremely comfortable and I think it is better than the HD 700 one. I do not have any problems at all with the comfort side of this headphone.

Sound Quality (will be comparing with HD 700 mainly, as we all know the HD 800S is amazing here)

The HD 800S has much better bass (in terms of quality and the amount of bass) which I think was critical to the headphone, as I think that the HD 700 did not have enough (not a massive difference, just enough of a difference which made the HD 800S better) and sounded weak when playing games like Battlefield 1, as explosions did not really feel like explosions. Highs were also better on the HD 800S, bullets sounded (high?, no idea of the term) better when they were hitting metallic objects and when being fired from different weapons.

Soundstage is amazing on this headphone, the distant eco of firing and bullets in the background was so good and gave a better impression of being on a battlefield compared to the HD 700. Also helped a little on the positioning, although not much changed here.

The songs I noticed and remembered (as my RCA cables broke one day after I got my HD 800S, so I had to wait 6 days for a replacement, meaning I forgot largely what the HD 700 sounded like for a direct comparison) that had a large difference compared to the HD 700 are:

Taylor Swift - Shake it Off
Sia - Cheap Thrills
Fifth Harmony - Work From Home
Mo - Lean On
Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me
OMI - Cheerleader
Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk and 24K Magic
Among a few others

This was all with YouTube format (not even FLAC)

Worth it?

Now that's a difficult question, they are an upgrade over the HD 700 and I did get them for £1200 (could sell the XLR cable for £200 as I do not use it, meaning the headphone would be £1000) however I think they should be £1000 (without cable) at the original price. I do not think they are worth £1400, it is a bit too much. They are an amazing headphone and if I did not have them and was looking to buy them, I would pay £1200 for them. Due to the build quality, comfort and sound quality being so good. Also, we (UK market) get a 10 year warranty on these headphones with Sennheiser Club Orpheus, which makes it even better.

Thanks for reading.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #2,098 of 8,774
Thanks for the impressions Metrops. Don't worry about terminology etc as you'll be able to describe sounds with words once you stay in the hobby longer. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions.

Also the "plastic" part was interesting. For anyone who thinks the plastic components should be replaced, what material could take its place without adding weight or cost? Carbon fiber would make it a lot pricier etc.. I know the material they used has very good sound dampening functionality so thats why they chose the material, also cost effective and light weight. I love the build quality of the HD800S and the comfort.. to me the comfort is pretty much the best of any flagship I think. I do have one major gripe though about the build quality and thats the outer "fins" surrounding the grill are easily damaged and very easy to show fingerprints. It really really irritates me for some reason haha

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #2,099 of 8,774
  Thanks for the impressions Metrops. Don't worry about terminology etc as you'll be able to describe sounds with words once you stay in the hobby longer. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions.

Also the "plastic" part was interesting. For anyone who thinks the plastic components should be replaced, what material could take its place without adding weight or cost? Carbon fiber would make it a lot pricier etc.. I know the material they used has very good sound dampening functionality so thats why they chose the material, also cost effective and light weight. I love the build quality of the HD800S and the comfort.. to me the comfort is pretty much the best of any flagship I think. I do have one major gripe though about the build quality and thats the outer "fins" surrounding the grill are easily damaged and very easy to show fingerprints. It really really irritates me for some reason haha

Yeah, although how much would that add to the price? Also those fins are what I meant by "metal mesh", did not know the correct term.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #2,100 of 8,774
Yeah, although how much would that add to the price? Also those fins are what I meant by "metal mesh", did not know the correct term.

Ah I see now where you said that.. and it's true. My old 800 from years ago (now sold) had a small indention in that area and I was always very careful.

Also I think I heard you say YouTube video music :nauseated_face:

Just kidding - kinda. :yum:

But yea all the materials used in the 800(s) is very very good. It's a balance between weight, sound quality, PRICE and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back