Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 10, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #2,011 of 8,730

What do you expect them to do, replace them?

Yeah, that's pretty obvious, as iAudio365 says 
smile.gif

The dings are very apparent and would definitely affect any resale value.  Not that I plan to resell them, but I take very good care of my gear so even after years, it still looks new - and I keep all accessories, manuals, packing material, etc for if I ever do decide to sell something.

So yeah, with something as expensive as the HD800S, I would want them to be in mint condition when purchased new.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #2,012 of 8,730
I agree, I would absolutely want them to be in perfect condition. Whether you keep this set (with a partial refund I hope) or get a replacement, could you give some opinions after you put some hours on them? I imagine the sound will change after putting some time on them. I expect my next set of headphones will be an HD800S or an Elear. So you're opinions after break in would be very helpful to me. Thanks.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #2,013 of 8,730
I agree at this price they should be in perfect shape.
Actually I just got a brand new pair from my dealer as the original version I purchased was a demo unit opened since October.
Interestingly I compared the included frequency response chart and the new unit has slightly more bass and slightly less treble. I can definitely hear more bass on the new pair. Curious how it will sound compared to the previous unit after it has some hours on it.

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,015 of 8,730
I agree, I would absolutely want them to be in perfect condition. Whether you keep this set (with a partial refund I hope) or get a replacement, could you give some opinions after you put some hours on them? I imagine the sound will change after putting some time on them. I expect my next set of headphones will be an HD800S or an Elear. So you're opinions after break in would be very helpful to me. Thanks.

I've had mine since last Wednesday, they are truly incredible. Haven't used them enough to notice any major sound changes or burn in effect but straight out of the box they are awesome.

I never even auditioned them before i bought them either, I just jumped in and haven't looked back.

Keep in mind I'm waiting for my Ether Flows and AEONs to arive as well so I have nothing to compare them to at this point apart from saying my initial impressions are the sound is clean and crisp with great bass, their light as a feather and very comfortable yet feel sturdy and you know it's a quality product when your holding them. I don't find the trebble to bright either so no fatigue at all and thats after very long gaming sessions on my pc and music listening.

I currently have them paired with a chord mojo which drives them amazingly well, but honestly these things do not at all seem to be hard to drive like others have said so I'm not sure what rubbish dac/amp combos their using but any dac/amp over a couple of hundred dollars will drive these well enough.

My old schiit uber stack drove these easy as well lol.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Highly recommend, quality product that will last you years and give you a very comfortable, fatigue free and fantastic listening experience for years to come.

Just get them already. Haha

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #2,016 of 8,730
I've had mine since last Wednesday, they are truly incredible. Haven't used them enough to notice any major sound changes or burn in effect but straight out of the box they are awesome.

I never even auditioned them before i bought them either, I just jumped in and haven't looked back.

Keep in mind I'm waiting for my Ether Flows and AEONs to arive as well so I have nothing to compare them to at this point apart from saying my initial impressions are the sound is clean and crisp with great bass, their light as a feather and very comfortable yet feel sturdy and you know it's a quality product when your holding them. I don't find the trebble to bright either so no fatigue at all and thats after very long gaming sessions on my pc and music listening.

I currently have them paired with a chord mojo which drives them amazingly well, but honestly these things do not at all seem to be hard to drive like others have said so I'm not sure what rubbish dac/amp combos their using but any dac/amp over a couple of hundred dollars will drive these well enough.

My old schiit uber stack drove these easy as well lol.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Highly recommend, quality product that will last you years and give you a very comfortable, fatigue free and fantastic listening experience for years to come.

Just get them already. Haha

Edit: I will soon have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2nd gen on its way to me as well so will give impressions when I receieve it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,018 of 8,730
These are, absolutely, my endgame. I want them so baaaaaad...

Really? Not sure why, but I'm surprised you have an endgame :D

To to see you on a thread: it's been a while...

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #2,024 of 8,730
I've long been a fan of Sennheiser headphones, and I was planning to buy the HD800S as my 'end game' phones - then the Focal Elear came along.  Based on Tyll @ InnerFidelity raving about the Elear - and dropping the HD800S from his Wall of Fame with the comment that it had a "rather thin and analytical sound relative to the recently introduced Focal Utopia and Elear, and Mr. Speakers Ether Flow" - I decided to buy the Elear instead.  But six months later, I still was itching to buy the HD800S and glad I finally did.

Though the Elear definitely are good phones, I think the HD800S are toe-to-toe competition in sound, and are more comfortable, better designed, and better constructed.  For the past six months with the Elear, I still found myself reaching for other phones (HD650 or Amiron) most days, and saving the less comfortable and delicate Elear for occasional use, but I can see the HD800S easily now becoming the headphones I reach for every day.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,025 of 8,730
Sold my HD 700s, time to buy the HD 800S. Also, is there any difference with sound quality when using the 4 pin XLR with an adapter (to 6.3mm) with the 6.3mm connector going into the AMP, compared to just using the 6.3mm connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back